Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What revival do you think GSN would do well with?  (Read 10428 times)

SuperMatch93

What revival do you think GSN would do well with?
« on: October 21, 2012, 09:29:21 PM »
Since they were so successful with their first revival of Lingo, I wonder what luck they'd have with Crosswits.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

That Don Guy

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 09:54:10 PM »
Has GSN ever had an original show with more than two celebrities at a time?  Without four celebrities, you would need to tweak Cross-Wits.  Maybe it would work without the celebrities, and just have two teams of two contestants each (if the contestant whose turn it was didn't guess the word, his partner would get the "one guess" the contestant got in the old version).

It pretty much has to be a show where each game is contained in a single episode (that lets Jackpot out) - how about Whew!?

BillCullen1

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 01:33:58 AM »
Actually, I think Jackpot would work as a GSN original. The same contestants all week - it worked with Hollywood Showdown.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:34:15 AM by BillCullen1 »

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 09:12:49 AM »
Eye Guess is a easy, breezy game that was great for daytime audiences. Do you think a variation could be developed with a little more primetime attractiveness (without being dongified)? Harder quiz? More answers on the board? Lemme think on it...

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 09:32:14 AM »
After seeing the new British version on Youtube, I thought Blockbusters would be perfect with the single vs. pair format. $500 for winning a main game, best of three, Gold Rush for say, $10K? $25K? A trip somewhere semi-exotic?

I think TalkAbout could work as well, for about the same budget ($10K).

My only thing is both of those shows straddled, and as much as I'd hate to do a "whoever has more points when the final bell sounds" format, I'm afraid it would be done that way. Kinda odd, considering GSN airs reruns of shows that indeed straddle. Has there ever been a GSN original with returning champions?

Every Second Counts is another one I saw on YT, and immediately thought could work well. The bonus round levels could keep the escalating prizes, or replace them with escalating dollar amounts, then the car (i.e. $1,000/2,000/5,000/CAR).

If not for music rights issues*, I'd suggest Face the Music, but then again, I'm not so sure musical game shows work the way they did 30 years ago. Pop music and tastes have changed so much...

*/You can't even sing clues on Pyramid without them being muted, and I'm suggesting a 30-minute show with music? :-P
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:34:17 AM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

toddyo

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 03:05:42 PM »
Music rights can be overcome.

I would say Password, Split Second, a national version of It's Academic, Jackpot, and for production ease, Cross-Wits.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 04:29:03 PM »
Music rights can be overcome.
How do you overcome music rights? If you're going to do a music show where you actually play music, someone's gotta get paid. I'm guessing "Name this tune that we're playing under the fair use clause" isn't going to fly.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 04:41:06 PM »
Public Domain Face the Music? ;-)

The show used about what, 15 songs per episode, not even counting the bonus game that required another six. I just feel that's a lot of clearances for a daily low-tier cable show. Syndication or weekly primetime is a different story because of the budgets.

Even though el cheapo Sandy Frank somehow got away with it, I think the rights rules have changed a lot the last 32 years. Sandy's site has a clip from a pilot his company produced a few years ago. From what I remember, it was quite different from Ron Ely's version. Given it's more of a cult classic amongst the forum, you fortunately could do a lot with the format and mainstream America wouldn't cry foul about the drastically different rules.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 04:59:10 PM »
Has GSN ever had an original show with more than two celebrities at a time?
I've Got a Secret?

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »
Has GSN ever had an original show with more than two celebrities at a time?
I've Got a Secret?
I think that's a bit of a stretch to call them "celebrities".
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 06:07:50 PM »
Has there ever been a GSN original with returning champions?
The Money List.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BillCullen1

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 06:08:17 PM »
Some other games I thought of that might work:

Beat the Clock
The Big Showdown
Now You See It

The latter two require some brain power, which might not be "in vogue" right now. I also like Eye Guess and Split Second, which were previously mentioned.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:08:43 PM by BillCullen1 »

1984Gameshowsfan

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 06:52:04 PM »
Somebody in the thread mentioned Jackpot, which for a while I actually thought would make for a good revival on like The Hub(same with Chain Reaction, even though GSN already revived that).

Another idea I had for a Hub revival, but I guess it could work with in a GSN revival as well is Bumper Stumpers; only problem with that is you would have to tweak gameplay since the show straddled games.

Somebody also mentioned Crosswits in this thread, which I thought would be good for a revival(with some tweaks in gameplay; of course this would have been great prior to Merv Griffin's Crosswords airing, not so much now).

With some tweaks in gameplay, and payoffs maybe Trump Card would make for a good revival. On that same vein, if GSN still had the people running it that green lighted Friend or Foe, Whammy, and Russian Roulette, I thought Split Second would have made for a good revival as well.

Actually, I came up with a revised payout structure a while back for the show which would have had contestants winning somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5,000 dollars per show, possibly more depending on how many questions each player answers(which i'm sure GSN wouldn't have a problem with budget wise).

Speaking of that Split Second revival idea, and the revised payoffs I was thinking something along the lines of this:

In Round 1 of the main game, three players getting a question right would be worth $100 to each of them, two players getting a question right would be worth $250 bucks to each, and one person getting a question right would be worth $500.

In Round 2 of the main game, the payoffs would be increased to $500 for three players getting a question right, two players getting a question right would be worth $750, and one player getting a question right would be worth $1,000.

The Countdown round would stay the same, and maybe you could add a bonus game of some kind as well.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:58:21 PM by 1984Gameshowsfan »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 09:17:11 PM »
Speaking of that Split Second revival idea, and the revised payoffs I was thinking something along the lines of this:
My, spending other people's money is....nope. I don't even have the strength to do it anymore. Christ on a popsicle stick.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe