Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows you were excited about initially...  (Read 13103 times)

William_S.

Shows you were excited about initially...
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2012, 12:21:37 AM »
I can agree with that were named on here, but mine (if half of it counts) Pictionary.
In 1989 I saw what was completely different from what I saw in the promos. Then in 1998ish again now with Alan Thicke. The show's ok but the excitement just fizzles after a while, and just becomes what could be a Win Lose or Draw clone.
          I guess throw in 2006's Chain Reaction as well

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2012, 12:35:48 AM »
I can agree with that were named on here, but mine (if half of it counts) Pictionary.In 1989 I saw what was completely different from what I saw in the promos. Then in 1998ish again now with Alan Thicke. The show's ok but the excitement just fizzles after a while, and just becomes what could be a Win Lose or Draw clone. I guess throw in 2006's Chain Reaction as well
Maybe the ads were using footage from the pilots and elements were dropped before making to air.
Travis L. Eberle

William_S.

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2012, 12:55:33 AM »
Exactly, just for the show itself it was just getting uninteresting quickly being the same game over and over (my thought was that they'd rotate games) and Fun House was on at the same time at that point.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 01:19:14 AM by William_S. »

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2012, 09:40:31 AM »
I thought the 1998 Pictionary was light and enjoyable.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 11:00:35 AM »
NYSI89.  Thought the computerized graphics and chyroned scoreboards paled in comparison to the original.  And Chuck Henry.  Oy.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 02:22:18 PM »
My votes are for "Duel" (because the show shouldn't have been an hour long and the contestants were jerks) and "Temptation" (Rossi annoys me).

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2012, 02:24:40 PM »
My votes are for "Duel" (because the show shouldn't have been an hour long and the contestants were jerks) and "Temptation" (Rossi annoys me).
Should it have been half an hour or two? How does that improve things?
Travis L. Eberle

Kniwt

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2012, 05:32:53 PM »
My vote has to be for the U.S. version of "The Cube."

When I first heard that CBS had picked up this amazing show -- and that none other than NPH himself was going to host -- I couldn't help but think we'd finally found a new champion of the prime-time, big-bucks game show. It started good enough: NPH stared directly into the camera and uttered the catchphrase, "Do you have what it takes ... to beat The Cube?" But just about everything after that during the show's dismal four-week run was a disaster.

Sure, the show was recorded in Fountain Studios with a bona fide cube. But that was about the only similarity. Casting Gilbert Gottfried as the voice of The Cube was not the smartest move, and the American cube was simply far too sassy and confrontational to be enjoyable. Remember when our first Barrier contestant tried to emulate the famous British moment by taking off his pants ... and Gottfried/Cube bellowed, "Love the legs, bozo."

And the producers couldn't resist the American siren song of sob stories and tear-jerker moments. What about that time in Direction when, while that young woman was trying to cross the cube while blindfolded, the producers opened the doors to the cube and reunited her with her long-lost childhood pony? At least the outtake of the pony pooping on the high-tech floor provided a fresh clip for Bob Eubanks' next "America's Most Funnest Game Show Moments Evar." And maybe it was cute the first time we had a "surprise" phone call from a family member or friend to the player while they were in the cube, but like everything else, it became a weekly occurrence that quickly grew stale.

Let's not even get started on how badly they mucked up the rules to deal with stupid American contestants. Swap the game? All those "extra life" balls scattered throughout the games? And even with all the producers' attempts to have a big winner, seven of the eight contestants we saw still went for broke and went home with nothing. America doesn't like losers.

After the fourth episode came in next to last in the Nielsens -- with a dismal 0.3 rating and a 1 share -- the remaining episodes were shelved, and America mercifully got an early premiere of CBS's next great white hope: "CSI: Torchwood."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2012, 05:40:06 PM »
Wait, what? This actually happened?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2012, 05:54:35 PM »
Wait, what? This actually happened?
No, it didn't. Kniwt thinks he's being funny.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

bulldog_06

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
Temptation, Merv Griffin's Crosswords and Trivial Pursuit: America Plays...the last one they absolutely messed up the whole show with the host. You got a Brady to host that show...REALLY??? What happened to Mark Wahlberg...HE COULD HAVE DID THAT SHOW! It was syndicated, it wasn't a network show. Those idiots at Fox kept him from getting to do it. I saw the demo and it was better than Christopher Knight hosting it. YOU SERIOUS?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2012, 06:26:54 PM »
What happened to Mark Wahlberg...HE COULD HAVE DID THAT SHOW!
I think he was doing a movie around that time.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2012, 06:28:36 PM »
I think he was doing a movie around that time.
That's no excuse. The Funky Bunch totally could have stepped in for him.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MTCesquire

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2012, 03:11:16 AM »
It's already been said but the last game show I was really excited for was CS'01.  Feud came back and was decent despite Anderson hosting like he had a gun pointed in his back and TTTT'00 was good enough IMO so I thought Fremantle was on an upward trend (Feud was going on its 3rd season, TTTT it's 2nd).  Then CS'01 debuted, threw out everything about the Perry and Eubanks versions that worked and...well, you all know how the story goes.  Every other revival/import that's been announced since then I can't get excited for until it actually airs because I always find myself saying "God I hope they don't f**k this up...".

I'll add one to the list...NBC's Weakest Link.  I saw the promos and thought, "A host that actually calls out contestants for their stupidity?  This is going to be AWESOME!"  And at first, it was.  Then the contestants started snapping back at Anne and she wouldn't have a comeback for it, which basically killed the entire premise of the show.  Then the theme weeks...then the celebrity shows...utter disappointment.  The show bounced back tenfold when it went into syndication with George Gray.  He was perfect for the format.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 03:12:12 AM by MTCesquire »

joker316

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
TTTT2K. John O'Hurley was the only good thing about that show; the producers made no effort to understand why the game worked.
I totally agree, and to add one more thing; when Kitty Carlisle was on (for her only appearance), her questions sounded like she knew what she was doing. She wasn't coming off as some smart-assed comedian wannabe, she played the game as it was meant to be played. No other panelist could even come close, which was a spoiler for me.
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck