Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows you were excited about initially...  (Read 13177 times)

aaron sica

Shows you were excited about initially...
« on: October 17, 2012, 03:59:19 PM »
Here's what might be an interesting topic...

Were there ever any shows that you were excited about seeing when they premiered, but once you saw it, you were disappointed? One show comes to mind for me, and it was the first "$100,000 Pyramid". Now keep in mind I was only 11 at the time :) I figured with a title that had $100,000 in it, the first trip to the WC would be worth $50,000 and then $100,000 the second. I was quite disappointed that the WC amounts were exactly like the daytime version and that the $100,000 was only for tournament play...

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 04:04:33 PM »
Whammy.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

JMFabiano

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 08:56:04 PM »
MG98.  Yes, I am serious.  I guess it was because outside of Wheel, J!, and TPIR, the other "major" titles had been gone for years, and I was watching GSN at the time and wishing for some of the classic series to come back.  We got the Bergeron HS, which was as true to the original format as you could be in the late '90s, so I thought this might be the start of something big.  And believe it or not, there WAS positive feedback about the show when people attended the first tapings/watched the first episodes.  Needless to say, that didn't last long.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 09:00:22 PM »
Temptation.

CS 2001 as well, believe it or not.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 09:04:46 PM »
Temptation.

CS 2001 as well, believe it or not.
Both of these. I actually tolerated the first few weeks of "Temptation" before I realized how many corners they cut.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 09:07:44 PM »
Deal or No Deal. The show promos were all over the place, and I knew nothing about the format — but hey, game show with lotsa hype, must be good, right? Then I realized it was basically $1,000,000 Hit the Buzzer, Win a Cookie.
Bobby Peacock

Kevin Prather

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 09:08:22 PM »
I was jazzed in 2002 to hear that Pyramid was coming back. Not having been a viewer of MG98 or CS01, it didn't occur to me that a format could be hacked up like that.

calliaume

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 09:46:37 PM »
The Magnificent Marble Machine.  I was a huge pinball fan, pinball was big in 1975 (it was the summer of Tommy the movie, which I saw without my parents at age 12 - not necessarily a bright idea), so what wasn't to like?  Plenty.

aaron sica

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 09:58:42 PM »
MG98.  Yes, I am serious.  I guess it was because outside of Wheel, J!, and TPIR, the other "major" titles had been gone for years, and I was watching GSN at the time and wishing for some of the classic series to come back.  We got the Bergeron HS, which was as true to the original format as you could be in the late '90s, so I thought this might be the start of something big.  And believe it or not, there WAS positive feedback about the show when people attended the first tapings/watched the first episodes.  Needless to say, that didn't last long.

At GSC8 in '98, Jay Wolpert called in to us for a Q&A session and he talked about MG98. He made it sound promising, but like you said, that feeling didn't last long, unfortunately..

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 10:37:02 PM »
Mindreaders.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 11:45:07 PM »
Second for Temptation. I had just started getting into $ale of the Century at that point and had seen a few clips on the former Australian website on ninemsn, so I assumed it would be like that.

How wrong I was.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Clay Zambo

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 11:49:02 PM »
Temptation, sure.  Also Million Dollar Password.
czambo@mac.com

beatlefreak84

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 01:21:30 AM »
Three immediately came to my mind:

-Temptation (This was the biggest disappointment of the three I'll list, especially since I was a huge fan of $OTC.  I think the description of "gutted" and "cheap" certainly described it best)
-Merv Griffin's Crosswords (I was really excited to have a quiz show grace us, especially with the guy that created two of the greatest game show formats behind it, but the flawed gameplay and extremely static Ty Treadway just did nothing for me)
-Who's Still Standing (A fast-paced quiz in prime time with Ben Bailey as host did get me excited, but the game was so biased toward the "one" and couldn't settle on which rules they were using that week)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 04:18:35 AM »
The Magnificent Marble Machine.  I was a huge pinball fan, pinball was big in 1975 (it was the summer of Tommy the movie, which I saw without my parents at age 12 - not necessarily a bright idea), so what wasn't to like?  Plenty.

That was what I was gonna say.  To me, the front game was dull & sorta made the machine itself THE only good thing about that show.  Everything else was just, meh.

As for Temptation, I was super-excited about the potential.  What I saw was, WHAT?  That made me realize they should've looked at the Austraillian format & went with that instead of the dreck that I went through with Rossi what's-his-name.

Chief-O

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 09:01:47 AM »
Most everything that's come out in the past 10 years or so. "Temptation" and LMAD were probably tops among them.
.....and it goes like this!!!