Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game '12  (Read 13780 times)

40onTheBlue

Match Game '12
« on: October 15, 2012, 02:31:46 PM »
Somebody's gotta start a thread about this, so allow me. The new Canadian version of Match Game débuts tonight at 8:00 pm EST on Comedy. To begin, here's a taster from the channel's website.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 02:32:15 PM by 40onTheBlue »
Greetings from Canada.

narzo

Match Game '12
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 03:04:29 PM »
Somebody's gotta start a thread about this, so allow me. The new Canadian version of Match Game débuts tonight at 8:00 pm EST on Comedy. To begin, here's a taster from the channel's website.

which, sadly, you will have to be in Canada to view

TimK2003

Match Game '12
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 03:28:31 PM »

Actually after a few tries on clicking on the MG promo icon, and after sitting through a couple of TV promos and/or commercials, I WAS able to get to see the :15 MG promo a few times.

Judging by the quick promo, the set does look pretty good (but very small).  And unfortunately, it looks like at least one of the questions comes from the MG '98 files -- or at least the answers shown would make Judy Tenuta and Nell Carter proud :(
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 03:28:55 PM by TimK2003 »

JMFabiano

Match Game '12
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 06:11:26 PM »

Actually after a few tries on clicking on the MG promo icon, and after sitting through a couple of TV promos and/or commercials, I WAS able to get to see the :15 MG promo a few times.

Judging by the quick promo, the set does look pretty good (but very small).  And unfortunately, it looks like at least one of the questions comes from the MG '98 files -- or at least the answers shown would make Judy Tenuta and Nell Carter proud :(

I kept getting "unavailable" when I tried.  

Another nitpick for purists is that the Star Wheel is now JUST for picking the star in the Head-to-Head.  There's no mention of Double spaces, but a mention of a top prize of $5,000.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

dale_grass

Match Game '12
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 06:20:27 PM »
Another nitpick for purists

You're being redundant.  For most people it's a format change (if they even notice).

snowpeck

Match Game '12
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 07:02:37 PM »
Another nitpick for purists is that the Star Wheel is now JUST for picking the star in the Head-to-Head.  There's no mention of Double spaces, but a mention of a top prize of $5,000.
This report from someone who attended a taping indicates otherwise.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

BrandonFG

Match Game '12
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 07:09:40 PM »
Interesting that they kept the Match-Up round from MG90.

All in all, it sounds like it has potential. The rotating daily panel is weird though.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kniwt

Match Game '12
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 07:36:45 PM »
Here's a non-blocked YouTube version of the promo. I'm reminded of a certain series of classic GSN promos. Marsupial!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riguW4cztKM

And here's an 8-minute segment from The Marilyn Denis Show where they interview the host and play a little bit of the game.
http://www.marilyn.ca/mobile/Segment.aspx?segid=40499
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 07:40:38 PM by Kniwt »

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Match Game '12
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 08:16:51 PM »
This report from someone who attended a taping indicates otherwise.
Interesting that they kept the Match-Up round from MG90.
And the rest of its format: payout structure is the same, Match-Up time limit is the same (it even looks the same!), and they even got the "spin the arrow" Star Wheel.

Weird. And why? It isn't the revival most people would think of when you talk about the American versions, and the Match-Up is just too much "game" in Match Game for me (the fact it wasn't in the 1998-99 series should say something). I would've gone with the 1978-81 PM format, using the same Super Match payouts of this current version, mainly since it kept the emphasis on fun.

Still, it took 13 years to get Match Game back on the air, and I wish it lots of success. :)
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Match Game '12
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 04:13:12 PM »
Match Game is all about the material and the casting of the panel. Screw that up and you have another Match Game '98 on your hands.

They could always bring in Mikey.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Match Game '12
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 04:31:17 PM »
And here's an 8-minute segment from The Marilyn Denis Show where they interview the host and play a little bit of the game.
Those questions and those two panelists -- I'll be charitable and say I don't give it a favorable prognosis.

pownster

Match Game '12
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 05:58:19 AM »
A full episode is now available on YouTube (courtesy of jecherchelananas) :

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3djm9UUEmbA[/media]

Part 2

Part 3
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

Ian Wallis

Match Game '12
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 04:36:39 PM »
The rotating daily panel is weird though

My guess is they aren't showing the episodes in order...although you'd figure if this were the case, the premiere would have a big win, and it didn't.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Kniwt

Match Game '12
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 09:34:52 PM »
Here's the first part of another episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar2H1lhyX6Q

Jeremy Nelson

Match Game '12
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »
And the rest of its format: payout structure is the same, Match-Up time limit is the same (it even looks the same!), and they even got the "spin the arrow" Star Wheel.

Weird. And why? It isn't the revival most people would think of when you talk about the American versions, and the Match-Up is just too much "game" in Match Game for me (the fact it wasn't in the 1998-99 series should say something). I would've gone with the 1978-81 PM format, using the same Super Match payouts of this current version, mainly since it kept the emphasis on fun.

Still, it took 13 years to get Match Game back on the air, and I wish it lots of success. :)
I would say that by the time you get to 78-81, most of the "fun" was gone. Keep in mind that during that period, they cut out a lot of the banter during the panel's writing time, so it seems that they tried to add more game to the show with little success.

Maybe it's just me, but I liked the 90-91 format because it found a way to condense one game into a half hour without making the format stale (the years with 3 rounds of matching were too much for me).

(the fact it wasn't in the 1998-99 series should say something).
So now we're using the 98-99 series as a measuring stick for how Match Game should be? For every one thing the series did right, there were two things they botched.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.