Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another yucky proposal for a game show  (Read 1902 times)

whewfan

Another yucky proposal for a game show
« on: December 17, 2003, 05:46:36 AM »
Announcer: And now it's time for the game show where ANYONE can be in an informercial....

CAN YOU SELL ME THAT?

And here is our panel!

Jenilee Harrison (Chef Tony), The Mommies (the former comedy duo that thankfully decided to stop telling jokes) and Don DuPree (that supposed self made millionaire that now sells "The World's Best Vitamin Ever")

Hosts: Debbie and Kevin! (The informercial duo that try to look like Regis and Kelly)

Premise: Contestants come on the show to sell their own product. The panel judges their ability to sell the product, and of course, at the same time, they plug their own product. The winner, of course, gets their own contract for informercials. Hosts Debbie (is that accent real?) and Kevin (is that HAIR real?) also plug their own products.

Note: Now as I type this out, the premise has sort of been tried out, but not as a true game show.  Two shows that come to mind are "Why Didn't I think of That?" (which Wink Martindale once announced) and the pilot Allen Ludden hosted called "The Smart Alecks", which featured products that were still in the "inventive" stage and not on the market.

Still, I think my idea is far more repulsive. What do you think?

GS Warehouse

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 12:52:12 PM »
Congratulations, you win a DVD of Quicksilver!

OK, who slipped me Chris Lemon's eggnog?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 01:07:46 PM »
Don't look at me. I don't even consider proposers who have self-doubt about their product in the first place.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 03:36:16 PM »
This has got to be the yuckiest proposal ever for a game show.  As such, you should get thee to the patent office post-haste, so no game show producing lurkers steal the idea and get it on first.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Fedya

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 03:41:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 03:36 PM\'] This has got to be the yuckiest proposal ever for a game show.  As such, you should get thee to the patent office post-haste, so no game show producing lurkers steal the idea and get it on first. [/quote]
 I read the post as almost a parody -- with the "almost" caveat being that some producer out there might actually try this idea. Who ever would have thought "Lost" was a good idea?

I'm almost waiting for Win IVF, a show that combines The Newlywed Game and the Discovery Channel's Birth Stories (I think it's the Discovery Channel; apologies if I've got the wrong channel) by having infertile couple vie for the grand prize of free in vitro fertilization.

Maybe on April 1 we can start a thread where we all post our ideas for the most outrageous reality show concepts we can think of.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

uncamark

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2003, 03:50:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 03:41 PM\']I'm almost waiting for Win IVF, a show that combines The Newlywed Game and the Discovery Channel's Birth Stories (I think it's the Discovery Channel; apologies if I've got the wrong channel) by having infertile couple vie for the grand prize of free in vitro fertilization.[/quote]
TLC--same company.

dickoon

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2003, 06:34:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 09:41 PM\'] Who ever would have thought "Lost" was a good idea? [/quote]
 I'll certainly subscribe to Lost being a good idea - simple, easy to relate to, fantastically challenging, highly different from the rest of the game show market, likely to generate excellent moments of television. I'll even stand by the British version of Lost making for very fine TV indeed, though showing five complete games in reasonably rapid succession rather spoiled the freshness very quickly.

Caveat: I never saw the US version of Lost and the people whose opinion I trust rated it fairly poorly. It would be interesting to compare the US and UK versions of the show to see what the difference is.

*twiddles thumbs* Wasn't 2001 a good year for US game shows?

vtown7

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2003, 07:19:18 PM »
I've never seen UK Lost! but I've read the most excellent book.  I truly think what was the most brilliant idea from your series was the notion of RETURNING CHAMPIONS!  That's just sheer brilliance.

And the runner up moment would have to be the $1 to "help" you get to London moment.

Cheers,

Ryan :)