Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password Plus  (Read 4502 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Password Plus
« on: October 07, 2012, 12:33:37 AM »
Off and on, I've been watching Password Plus whenever it was on and I had access to the channel. I don't think I've ever seen this before. The first three words in the password puzzle were Prostitutes, Family and Gambling. The fourth clue was not only blocked out in the lower third but a censor bar covered it when the puzzle was in view. Additionally much of the audio from that word was dropped. The puzzle was revealed as "The Mafia."

I'd be willing to bet damn near anything that the fourth word was Italian, but I have no idea why the tape would need to be edited in that fashion, or whether it got to GSN that way, or GSN made those edits for some reason.
Travis L. Eberle

Patrick Patterson

Password Plus
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 12:48:51 AM »
I'd be willing to bet damn near anything that the fourth word was Italian, but I have no idea why the tape would need to be edited in that fashion, or whether it got to GSN that way, or GSN made those edits for some reason.

I think that the word may have been Sicilian; it looked like Patty Duke's clue was "Italian" and then Bill Cullen said "Southward" (they didn't mute that out). That said, except for potential concerns about cultural sensitivity, I'm not exactly sure what happened.

chad1m

Password Plus
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 12:56:26 AM »
Here's an ATGS response from waaaaay back in 1999. Chris Clementson claims that "there was concern that Italian Americans might be offended by the clue "Sicilian" being associated with the Mafia," but the censors didn't get to it until after it had already been produced.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
Password Plus
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 02:13:51 AM »
Here's an ATGS response from waaaaay back in 1999. Chris Clementson claims that "there was concern that Italian Americans might be offended by the clue "Sicilian" being associated with the Mafia," but the censors didn't get to it until after it had already been produced.
Glad to see the censors changed their minds in time for The Golden Girls seven year run.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

JMFabiano

Password Plus
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 03:59:37 AM »
Was this episode ever seen unedited?  It sounds to me like NBC was the one who did the censoring, reading the ATGS posts.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Bryce L.

Password Plus
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 05:13:19 AM »
http://password-plus.com/Sicilian.rm

This will answer at least some of the issues with this incident...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 05:13:46 AM by Bryce L. »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Password Plus
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 02:30:44 PM »

Anything for those of us who refuse to use Real Anything?
Travis L. Eberle

Mr. Matté

Password Plus
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 02:45:23 PM »

Unrealtor

Password Plus
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 04:47:38 PM »

Anything for those of us who refuse to use Real Anything?

VLC Player opened it for me.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Password Plus
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 04:44:05 PM »
I never withheld a puzzle which might be considered to be in bad taste. That was for the higher-ups to worry about. However, my bottom desk drawer was an area Dennis Gagnon used to refer to as "Category 13". If I felt a puzzle might have unfavorable legal implications, off it went to Category 13, a.k.a. the "I'll Research It When I Get Around To It" department, or the "Oh No, We're Gonna Get Sued" department.

JMFabiano

Password Plus
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 08:40:48 PM »

Got it.  Still wondering when this ep. was censored...
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Password Plus
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 09:31:07 PM »
Still wondering when this ep. was censored...
Almost certainly in post-production back in the day, since Allen addressed the matter in a later episode and gave the censored password ("Sicilian"). And the censoring was done well -- until the Password Puzzle shows up, it looks like the word wasn't loaded in and the microphones were being dodgy.

my bottom desk drawer was an area Dennis Gagnon used to refer to as "Category 13". If I felt a puzzle might have unfavorable legal implications, off it went to Category 13, a.k.a. the "I'll Research It When I Get Around To It" department, or the "Oh No, We're Gonna Get Sued" department.
You wouldn't happen to still have some of those puzzles, would you?
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...