Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Long-running game shows  (Read 12281 times)

cmjb13

Long-running game shows
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2003, 08:43:55 AM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 06:05 AM\']
(especally the big sweep, the FK like endgame is tired though)

OK, stupid question, but what's FK? [/quote]
 Finder's Keepers?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

aaron sica

Long-running game shows
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2003, 10:25:00 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 08:43 AM\'] [quote name=\'HYHYBT\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 06:05 AM\']
(especally the big sweep, the FK like endgame is tired though)

OK, stupid question, but what's FK? [/quote]
Finder's Keepers? [/quote]
 That's the only FK I could come up with....

I feel like i'm in the Gold Run on Blockbusters...:)

Starkman

Long-running game shows
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2003, 10:53:29 AM »
yep, FK's indeed finders keepers

FK's endgame was find the clue card in the room get a prize go to the next room repeat 6 times (in 90 seconds) win it all

Sweeps endgame is get a riddle, find the item repeat 3 times (in 60 seconds) win 5k...it gets old after a while...but i cant really find a better endgame for that show so well, i still like sweep ;)

Thats a very hard endgame, i always thought it should have been played for higher stakes in FK (often the room romp final prize was less than the instant prize room prize, esp in the Eure version)

However it does fit Sweep well, however applying it to the mini sweeps :-/

HYHYBT

Long-running game shows
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2003, 05:56:16 PM »
Thanks.

To Tell the Truth. Not the Paula Poundstone version, but the original Mike Wallace pilot entitled Nothing But the Truth which CBS should never have ordered in the first place

What's so horrible about To Tell the Truth?
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Long-running game shows
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2003, 06:28:31 PM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 03:56 PM\'] What's so horrible about To Tell the Truth? [/quote]
 Absolutely nothing. But Nothing But The Truth with Wallace at the helm sucked rocks. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GS Warehouse

Long-running game shows
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2003, 07:05:20 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 06:28 PM\'] [quote name=\'HYHYBT\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 03:56 PM\'] What's so horrible about To Tell the Truth? [/quote]
Absolutely nothing. [/quote]
I wouldn't say absolutely nothing, CL.  What about the occasional nudist in 2000-01?  (OK, so maybe "occasional" is stretching it.)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 07:05:59 PM by GS Warehouse »

BrandonFG

Long-running game shows
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2003, 07:07:45 PM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 05:56 PM\'] What's so horrible about To Tell the Truth? [/quote]
 Paula Poundstone. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvrandywest

Long-running game shows
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2003, 07:46:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 10:02 AM\'] [quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 10:45 PM\']I'm also surprised no one mentioned "Trivial Pursuit."  That was on for a good 2-3 years and, IMO, should've only stayed on about 4 months![/quote]
I think it was the announcer that kept that one going for so long. ;-) [/quote]
Thanks Mike... took me a while to find that post!

65 "qualifying" half-hours, 65 "classic" half hours, and 30 weeks of phone-in games. Then the spin-off "Boggle", "Jumble" and "Shuffle" half-hours. All reran into residual heaven. It's comforting to know that the proceeds from Pat Robinson's fund raising went to good use!

Many an uncomfortable truth is said in jest.    :-|

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003, 12:23:51 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Jay Temple

Long-running game shows
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2003, 11:51:16 AM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 04:56 PM\'] Thanks.

To Tell the Truth. Not the Paula Poundstone version, but the original Mike Wallace pilot entitled Nothing But the Truth which CBS should never have ordered in the first place

What's so horrible about To Tell the Truth? [/quote]
 Correct me if I'm wrong:  Panelists' questions were written for them.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

zachhoran

Long-running game shows
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2003, 11:59:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 11:51 AM\'] [quote name=\'HYHYBT\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 04:56 PM\'] Thanks.

What's so horrible about To Tell the Truth? [/quote]
Correct me if I'm wrong:  Panelists' questions were written for them. [/quote]
 I don't think the panelists had questions written for them, but I guess it is possible questions were suggested by some of the staffers for some of the less-than-stellar game players, particularly on the 2000-01 version(just like Pyramid helps some of the celebrities on the current version as we discussed recently)

Jay Temple

Long-running game shows
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2003, 12:27:16 PM »
As a reason to dislike the show, that's close enough.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.