Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Long-running game shows  (Read 12097 times)

gameshowguy2000

Long-running game shows
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2003, 10:56:58 PM »
How about the Goen version of the Daytime Wheel?

It lasted from 1989-1991, and was pretty good, I might say.

Speaking of the Daytime Wheel: Why did they leave out the King World tag?

Thad Dixon

Long-running game shows
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2003, 10:59:13 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 10:56 PM\']How about the Goen version of the Daytime Wheel?

Speaking of the Daytime Wheel: Why did they leave out the King World tag?[/quote]
Because the Daytime Wheel was, and always had been a network show.

zachhoran

Long-running game shows
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2003, 11:08:02 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 10:45 PM\']

I'm also surprised no one mentioned "Trivial Pursuit."  That was on for a good 2-3 years and, IMO, should've only stayed on about 4 months!  The first half-hour was BORING, and the second half-hour was watchable, but very bland in gameplay, IMO.  I guess it helps when you're on FAM!
 [/quote]
 TP did last for over two years, though only 65 episodes were produced. FAM probably ran it for eight or nine cycles before dropping it altogether.

Mike Tennant

Long-running game shows
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2003, 10:02:08 AM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 10:45 PM\']I'm also surprised no one mentioned "Trivial Pursuit."  That was on for a good 2-3 years and, IMO, should've only stayed on about 4 months![/quote]
I think it was the announcer that kept that one going for so long. ;-)

The Ol' Guy

Long-running game shows
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2003, 11:48:16 AM »
Zach and others probably hit the nail on the head concerning cable shows - sheer cable economics. As far as Bumper Stumpers goes, wasn't that also a co-production of Canada's Global Television Network? It may have done well enough in Canada to earn the run it had - and if USA was having someone else helping to pay the freight for fresh shows, why not keep running it? At least it kept us from getting a replacement like Celebrity Quicksilver.....

uncamark

Long-running game shows
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2003, 12:26:27 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 11:48 AM\']Zach and others probably hit the nail on the head concerning cable shows - sheer cable economics. As far as Bumper Stumpers goes, wasn't that also a co-production of Canada's Global Television Network? It may have done well enough in Canada to earn the run it had - and if USA was having someone else helping to pay the freight for fresh shows, why not keep running it? At least it kept us from getting a replacement like Celebrity Quicksilver.....[/quote]
That's basically why most USA original game shows had decent runs--until "Quicksilver" and "Free-4-All" came along, they were all Canadian co-productions and did well enough up there to continue.  On the other hand, USA's involvement was probably also a factor that kept their Canadian runs going.

Produced-in-Vancouver "Loves Me Loves Me Not" was the exception, of course.

And in cable, I tend to go by episode count or number of series produced as a gauge of success, since shows can be rerun ad infinitum.  By those standards, "Bumper Stumpers" and the Bob Stewart shows on USA (and "Figure It Out" over on Nick, since that was mentioned) all had at least a respectable number of episodes made, thereby making them successful by cable standards.

Starkman

Long-running game shows
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2003, 12:27:36 PM »
actually FIO had 4 sets of eps, the 2 standard seasons and then the Shark jumping Family style and wild style. Now if you call these seasons or not is a debate thats been going on a while.

Sweep i can understand why its on so long, decent show (especally the big sweep, the FK like endgame is tired though), has TONS of money to be made off of fee plugs, and is pretty cheap to produce.

STYD i still dont get even with it's cheapness, its just so stupid and unoriginal.

I think long running game shows that were suprises are

Woolery LC (almost 10 years???)

FF Louie getting 3 years (count Karn feud seperatly from FF louie because of the new host and set) I would think that would have gotten axed a while ago

Kennedy NTT lasting more than 13 weeks after the drastic format change in the late 70s.

and

The panel shows really got old after the 50s.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Long-running game shows
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2003, 12:50:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Starkman\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 10:27 AM\'] actually FIO had 4 sets of eps, the 2 standard seasons and then the Shark jumping Family style and wild style. [/quote]
 They would have had a fifth set, but "Doggy Style" didn't go over well with the Nickolodeon bigwigs. :)

(Oh, c'mon. Y'all thought of it at LEAST once. Admit it. :))
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Starkman

Long-running game shows
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2003, 03:20:42 PM »
Actually that version has recently been repackaged as "the summer sanders show" and sent to TNN er i mean spike ;) ;) ;)

Good one clemon :) i have thought of that one too hehe...but of course im too shy and verbose to think of it on the air.

gameshowguy2000

Long-running game shows
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2003, 10:53:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Thad Dixon\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 09:59 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 10:56 PM\']How about the Goen version of the Daytime Wheel?

Speaking of the Daytime Wheel: Why did they leave out the King World tag?[/quote]
Because the Daytime Wheel was, and always had been a network show. [/quote]
 Well, Super Jeopardy! and Monopoly, both ABC shows, had the King World tag.

So, doesn't KW apply to network shows as well?

uncamark

Long-running game shows
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2003, 02:02:29 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 10:53 PM\']Well, Super Jeopardy! and Monopoly, both ABC shows, had the King World tag.

So, doesn't KW apply to network shows as well?[/quote]
It can--"Monopoly" was always KW's baby (Merv was just brought in under his agreement with KW that gave him first look on any game show project) and at that time KW controlled all "J!" and "Wheel" exposure.  Sony seems to be able now to sell spinoffs of those two shows to network or cable without KW's involvement.  It also seems to me that the KW logo doesn't appear on the "Wheel" or "J!" home or computer game boxes anymore.  (Chris Lemon will probably correct me since he has a vested interest in the computer/video games.)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Long-running game shows
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2003, 04:04:42 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 12:02 PM\'] (Chris Lemon will probably correct me since he has a vested interest in the computer/video games.) [/quote]
 Naw, he won't, I'm off until Monday and to tell the truth, I've never thought to look that close before :) If this topic is still a going concern by then, I'll be glad to check, tho. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

gameshowguy2000

Long-running game shows
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2003, 05:08:23 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 01:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 10:53 PM\']Well, Super Jeopardy! and Monopoly, both ABC shows, had the King World tag.

So, doesn't KW apply to network shows as well?[/quote]
It can--"Monopoly" was always KW's baby (Merv was just brought in under his agreement with KW that gave him first look on any game show project) and at that time KW controlled all "J!" and "Wheel" exposure.  Sony seems to be able now to sell spinoffs of those two shows to network or cable without KW's involvement.  It also seems to me that the KW logo doesn't appear on the "Wheel" or "J!" home or computer game boxes anymore.  (Chris Lemon will probably correct me since he has a vested interest in the computer/video games.) [/quote]
 So if KW was applied to network shows, why didn't they apply that to the Daytime Wheel?

ChuckNet

Long-running game shows
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2003, 06:06:11 PM »
So if KW was applied to network shows, why didn't they apply that to the Daytime Wheel?

Because the Kings had no direct involvement in the daytime show...the $$$ they invested in the nighttime show only applied to the latter, and was credited as such.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

HYHYBT

Long-running game shows
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2003, 06:05:24 AM »
(especally the big sweep, the FK like endgame is tired though)

OK, stupid question, but what's FK?
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages