Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another round of "not getting to play"...  (Read 6260 times)

HYHYBT

Another round of "not getting to play"...
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 03:17:00 AM »
Wrong guesses don't help the home audience when they're edited out.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 09:48:28 AM »
Wrong guesses don't help the home audience when they're edited out.
A wrong guess would only be edited out if they go around the horn once and there's no change in score. Otherwise, it stays in.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 01:54:21 PM »
I've been told that this actually happened at least once on daytime. The yellow contestant banked a bunch of Free Spins and used them to hog the Wheel in Round 2. Round 3 began as a Speed-Up with a $2,000 Final Spin, and the blue contestant won without ever touching the Wheel.

I would guess that said game also had a very long Round 1 — back then, it wasn't uncommon for Round 1 to be something really short and devoid of common letters, such as DOGHOUSE. ($200. Yes, there's one S. Spin again... followed by eight or nine duds in a row. Fun times.)
If there were nine duds in a row, doesn't that mean the blue contestant touched the wheel at least three times?

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 01:56:05 PM »
I've been told that this actually happened at least once on daytime. The yellow contestant banked a bunch of Free Spins and used them to hog the Wheel in Round 2. Round 3 began as a Speed-Up with a $2,000 Final Spin, and the blue contestant won without ever touching the Wheel.

I would guess that said game also had a very long Round 1 — back then, it wasn't uncommon for Round 1 to be something really short and devoid of common letters, such as DOGHOUSE. ($200. Yes, there's one S. Spin again... followed by eight or nine duds in a row. Fun times.)
If there were nine duds in a row, doesn't that mean the blue contestant touched the wheel at least three times?

Derp.

/that was the bonus puzzle on February 31, 2004
Bobby Peacock

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 04:38:01 PM »

Yes, but in daytime you had returning champions, so unless it happened to that same contestant the next day, s/he eventually got to spin the wheel.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 05:21:13 PM »

Yes, but in daytime you had returning champions, so unless it happened to that same contestant the next day, s/he eventually got to spin the wheel.

I think it's obvious that I only mean he/she won that particular game without touching the Wheel.
Bobby Peacock

TimK2003

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 06:23:35 PM »
While we are on the topic, did all Barry & Enright shows of the 70's & 80's give people who never had a turn a free pass to play in another match?  

ISTR that in the early formidable Joker's Wild days if the champion (who would spin first) won on 3 jokers and the challenger never got to pull the lever, the challenger came back for the next match.  I also thought I remember seeing a Bullseye game in which one player ran the board for a $2,000+ win, and the other player got to play again.  

I can see the potential for running the board on Break The Bank, but were there potential situations for "owning" a match on TTD (during the red box years), or Hot Potato at any point?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 06:58:16 PM »
I can see the potential for running the board on Break The Bank, but were there potential situations for "owning" a match on TTD (during the red box years), or Hot Potato at any point?
Sure. Double or Nothing and the Bonus Category take care of that.
Travis L. Eberle

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 11:20:17 PM »
I think it's obvious that I only mean he/she won that particular game without touching the Wheel.
I know.  Couldn't resist the opportunity, though.  :)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)