Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune around here...  (Read 3190 times)

aaron sica

Wheel of Fortune around here...
« on: September 18, 2012, 06:21:18 AM »
It was what, 2006, when Wheel and Jeopardy started HD broadcasts? 6 years later, WHP from Harrisburg still does not broadcast either show in HD. I had hoped since they started HD newscasts, HD Wheel and J! would be around the corner, but apparently not. Any other markets not doing the HD thing for either show?

golden-road

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 08:28:38 AM »
Our CBS station here in Boise doesn't air them in HD either.

tvmitch

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
In the case of WHP, they need to invest in a box, a fairly expensive one at that, and they haven't paid for it yet. The equipment to broadcast their news in HD is totally separate than the equipment needed to receive and broadcast syndicated shows in HD. (They also air "Ellen," which is still in SD. Network shows like TPiR are in HD.)

For the #41 or #43 market or whatever we are nowadays. It looks really bad, and they should feel bad.
You should follow me on Twitter

trainman

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 10:37:11 PM »
Back in June, I saw J! and WoF in SD from the ABC affiliate in Binghamton, New York -- in fact, judging by other content such as local commercials, both they and their NBC-affiliate subcarrier still don't have the ability to originate anything in HD, only pass it along live from the network.  (And yet I was in a motel in Oneonta that was advanced enough to have every broadcast and cable channel available in HD.)
trainman is a man of trains

catkins522

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 11:35:11 PM »
They need to invest in a box, a fairly expensive one at that, and they haven't paid for it yet.

PitchBlue, the HD box costs appox. $13k plus installation.  At WINK & WXCW (my old stations), the engineers put a list for new HD equipment around 2004-5 and were totally in HD from news and sydacation shows in 2010-11 went I left.

Charles Atkins
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 02:26:24 PM »
Really, with WBKB, I'd settle for them just showing the right episode more than once per week.
Bobby Peacock

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 01:35:00 AM »
As I have said here, WAFF in Huntsville, AL (once a pretty good station until about 2009-2010) still doesn't air Wheel (or any other syndicated show, or even tape-delayed NBC shows) in HD, in contrast to all the other local full-power primary-signal commercial stations now airing most or all of their (weekdaily at least) syndicated shows in HD (WAAY being the first when they swiped Jeopardy! from WAFF in September 2010 in (what appeared to some to be) a desperation move to compete against the 6PM local news on WAFF and WHNT).
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

Johnissoevil

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 12:03:45 AM »
The local channels here air NOTHING in HD outside of network programming.  If I were to set up an antenna, I'd get stations out of Cleveland in HD, but I'm just happy the shows are even on in this area.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15