Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TV Guide: Nobody asked him to "Come on down!"  (Read 18136 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TV Guide: Nobody asked him to "Come on down!"
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2012, 08:49:40 PM »
I'm Johnny Orgovan, and that's my opinion...
...and it's worth precisely what we paid for it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2012, 08:57:52 PM »
The source from the TV Week piece had the perfect unassailable reason--the show was about 40 years of contestants. The trouble was that Drew didn't make that point clear on the broadcast.

I'd have loved to see Janice bring the mike out, though.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2012, 08:57:58 PM »
Dunno about you but I'm expecting a rebate in the mail after reading the nonsense of this guy and James Fabiano.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2012, 10:20:21 PM »
I'd have loved to see Janice bring the mike out, though.
Provided camera 1 doesn't knock her off the stage again.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2012, 10:33:37 PM »
Holly said in some interview that everyone on the staff called Bob "Barker" and not Bob... she said his FANS call him Bob, everyone else calls him "Barker"
Around the office, outside his presence, he was known as "Barker".

In the two years I was there, never once did I see Barker set foot in 6430 Sunset, even when we had a TPIR game meeting in January, 1980 at which Messrs. Goodson and Wayne (père and fils -- and I do mean fils literally) were present. The only time I ever saw him at 6430 Sunset was when he came to the CNN bureau to be interviewed about animal rights.

According to an undisclosed and unimpeachable source, I can truthfully say that Barker isn't getting any younger. At all. I think that's why he's OK with not being on this show.

cyclone45

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2012, 01:24:09 AM »
Dunno about you but I'm expecting a rebate in the mail after reading the nonsense of this guy and James Fabiano.
Let me clarify why i went there. A lot of wrestling fans know that Shawn Michaels was the most TALENTED man in the WWF around 95-98, but backstage he was an adolescent JERK, and he called himself an "icon". Barker was UNBELIEVABLE when it came to hosting...but behind the scenes, he was a jerk.(Janice, Holly, anyone?) To be an icon, you have to be great in the show itself AND a gentleman off of it. Legend, yes. Greatest of all time? NO..that goes to Bill Culen in my book.

JMFabiano

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2012, 02:49:05 AM »

Whaaaaaaa?  I just made one comment in this thread, and it was a reference to the person Cyclone was paraphrasing.  (You have to be a wrestling fan to get it, I suppose)  If I did say something that rubbed you the wrong way, and wasn't thinking about it or remembered it, then I apologize.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Argo

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2012, 09:34:37 AM »
Bob having feedback on TPIR now is like Johnny Carson having feedback on The Tonight Show after he left. I don't know if Johnny was ever invited on Jay Leno's show as a regular guest, or even on specials. Once he was gone he was gone. He showed up on Letterman's once in awhile and I think Letterman did a better tribute to Carson than The Tonight Show did.

It's like Chuck Woolery complaining about WOF now and wondering why the producers dont listen to him, or why he's never invited back for specials or shown in clips. Mind you WOF almost go out of their way to deny the show ever existed before 1983.

Like it or not, once a host leaves a show, thats it.  If it continues on congratulations to the show. I myself havent watched TPIR regularly for years. Once the audiences got way too annoying to watch I gave up. And these "oh I've watched all my life but never seen Clock Game" contestants... grrrr. TPIR is not your grandmother's TPIR and not even the one I grew up with. I wish CBS had gone a bit more classy with TPIR rather than a McDonalds Playland feel to it, but I guess they know best. They will get the modern viewers. The way I looked at it is that they could have stuck any host on the show and get just a good a rating. The contestants don't care who's hosting it. Just there to see whats behind the big doors. The viewers like me will keep watching the old shows on youtube.

All in all it would have been a nice gesture, and if they were going to do it, it would have been the best time to invite him back. They went out of their way to have clips and have the original contestants, but what ya gonna do.

Just wondering, what is stopping TPIR now from rerunning shows with furs now? Since they're doing other things that Bob doesn't like. Also is TPIR allowing the older shows to air on GSN, or did they just ask too much for GSN to bother with.

M
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:37:37 AM by Argo »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2012, 11:31:55 AM »
Also is TPIR allowing the older shows to air on GSN, or did they just ask too much for GSN to bother with.
Jesus, I couldn't tell you the last time GSN aired TPiR. I'd be willing to entertain that it's been at least ten years.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2012, 11:44:36 AM »
Jesus, I couldn't tell you the last time GSN aired TPiR. I'd be willing to entertain that it's been at least ten years.
[PatrickWayne]YOU WIN!!![/Wayne]

April, 2000.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2012, 01:29:52 PM »
Drew Carey has now weighed in on the controversy, telling TMZ that it wasn't personal, "it just didn't occur to anybody to invite him."  Whatever you think of Drew, Bob, Roger, Richards, Holly, Janice, Dian, or that other guy named Adam Sandler, I have a very hard time believing that in meetings about a 40th anniversary special, Bob's name just didn't happen to come up.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2012, 02:37:27 PM »
Bob having feedback on TPIR now is like Johnny Carson having feedback on The Tonight Show after he left. I don't know if Johnny was ever invited on Jay Leno's show as a regular guest, or even on specials. Once he was gone he was gone. He showed up on Letterman's once in awhile and I think Letterman did a better tribute to Carson than The Tonight Show did.
I don't know. Newhart and Rickles on the same show was pretty awesome.

Just wondering, what is stopping TPIR now from rerunning shows with furs now? Since they're doing other things that Bob doesn't like.
Bob still has power over his image. If he doesn't want his shows with furs airing, he won't clear those appearances. Whether he still has control over Dennis' episodes (I'd think not), is up for question.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2012, 02:45:32 PM »

chad1m

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2012, 03:06:57 PM »
Drew sucks at damage control, too.
As was pointed out just an hour ago by Matt.

Would it have been nice for him to show up? Sure. But did it matter? Not really. I'm in the camp that, hey, this is how he treated people in the past and didn't bat an eyelash doing so, so I don't mind if he can feel what it's like to be on the outside looking in.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 03:07:33 PM by chad1m »

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2012, 05:42:05 PM »
This may not have added to it, but was Barker a handful the last time he came back to peddle his book?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.