Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TV Guide: Nobody asked him to "Come on down!"  (Read 18141 times)

saussage

TV Guide: Nobody asked him to "Come on down!"
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 10:36:57 PM »
Imo, a slap in Bob's face is when furs get to be prizes again. Until then, I'll just have a a hot dog, with all the fixins looking over the Marineland pool in my amazing crocodile shoes :) Sure hot dogs don't come from animals, right? ;) Go Willy go!

I don't see that happening anytime soon (the fur coats). Not so much to do with Barker (or maybe so), but they have become taboo over the years...
Well, taboo is really a period of non-acceptance. It's far fetched but let's see if TPIR pushes the envelope further (or where furs become acceptable again which could happen but it would be a long, long time). When it comes to animal rights, Barker can be an extremist at times. I'm sure TPIR didn't do any of this to Bob on purpose originally (now they could care less what he says). If the prize was a trip up north for the annual seal hunt, then he has a real case to be pissed. Until then Bob, go to a petting zoo and give the animals some love.

Remember kids, if the animals aren't ready for the wild, they'd be some other animal's meal by now anyway :)
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 10:40:40 PM »
If the prize was a trip up north for the annual seal hunt, then he has a real case to be pissed.
Please elaborate.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Don Howard

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 10:51:19 PM »
I would have told George Gray not to refer to the Bob Barker Studio; just call it Television City.
I wouldn't mind having it called The Carol Burnett Studio.

saussage

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 11:18:24 PM »
If the prize was a trip up north for the annual seal hunt, then he has a real case to be pissed.
Please elaborate.
Well, if you ever heard the phrase "let's go clubbin'", while the phrase has been used humorously, it's not that funny when it comes to seal hunts. Seal hunts look gruesome and inhumane to most who has ever looked at them either live or via footage. A gun to the head of a seal would be a better option but still very shocking to watch. Seal meat is illegal in many parts of the world... Canada is one exception. Bob Barker would have a spasm if he ever seen this kind of stuff but many native people up north don't think of it as inhumane but rather as being part of the food chain... a part of the life cycle. Nobody would want to kill an animal for the sake of suffering and getting cheap thrills from it.

As far as TPIR using the seal hunt as an actual trip or prize, it would never happen but rather an example of an extreme way to piss or gross Bob Barker out.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:19:30 PM by saussage »
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

HYHYBT

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 11:45:46 PM »
He doesn't have too many more years left where he could be trotted out with some dignity (and some would contest that), but if he's looking for a spot on an anniversary show, I'd make some room for him. Couldn't hurt the ratings to promo the show as having a Bob appearance, either.
Suppose they'd done something like that. Suppose, say, they had him come on and host, say, Any Number one more time. If he looks sickly or has trouble doing his old job even for a couple of minutes, that looks really bad. If he does *well,* then countless idiots who believe if you can do something for a minute then you can do it all the time will think that means he shouldn't have retired at all and go clamoring for the show to bring him  back. Either way, nobody wins. (Except, maybe, whoever was playing Any Number.)
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Millionaire81

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 12:08:23 AM »
For those sad Bob didn't appear, lemme help you imagine what it'd be like to be there...

"Look at all that black hair...aged in your service." <CUE CANNED LAUGHTER>
"Can't resist picking me up..." <ROLL TAPE>
"She come on down and they came on out."  <ROLL TAPE>
"My most embarrassing moment..." <ROLL TAPE>
"Cut your dog's nuts off...goodbye errbody."  <CREDITS>

If I we're Mike Richards, I'd have played Double Prices for a puppy wearing a baby seal fur coat while riding a horse wearing leather shoes.  And I would've made the wrong price option $FCKU dollars.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 09:22:23 AM »
I would have told George Gray not to refer to the Bob Barker Studio; just call it Television City.
I wouldn't mind having it called The Carol Burnett Studio.
If this were Facebook, you'd get a like.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BillCullen1

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 11:20:15 AM »
Obviously Barker has a right to express his opinions like everyone else, but I think someone needs to tell him "it's not ALL ABOUT YOU." I noticed when he did Tattletales with his late wife Dorothy Jo, she never called him Bob. She referred to him as "Barker." There was a reason for that I'm sure (his ego).

TheLastResort

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 11:33:02 AM »
http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwire/2012/09/bob-barker-who-hosted-price-is.php

"Look, the show is celebrating its 40th anniversary, and I did 35 years of those 40 years. Do you think there might be somebody out there in TV land who’d have liked to have seen me on the show?” Barker said, according to the story.

dmota104

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 11:51:44 AM »
http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwire/2012/09/bob-barker-who-hosted-price-is.php

"Look, the show is celebrating its 40th anniversary, and I did 35 years of those 40 years. Do you think there might be somebody out there in TV land who’d have liked to have seen me on the show?” Barker said, according to the story.

But there are also viewers would might have liked to see certain models invited to the 25th, 30th and/or 35th anniversary parties.  To quote the cool kids, "Just sayin'."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 01:16:22 PM »
Obviously Barker has a right to express his opinions like everyone else, but I think someone needs to tell him "it's not ALL ABOUT YOU."
When 88 years old you reach, listen to crap like that you will not.

I noticed when he did Tattletales with his late wife Dorothy Jo, she never called him Bob. She referred to him as "Barker." There was a reason for that I'm sure (his ego).
I have two friends who are married to each other, could not be less egotistical, and refer to each other by their last names all the time.

With all of the thoroughly documented instances of Barker asshattery, we don't need to go making more up out of specious evidence.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whewfan

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 04:10:55 PM »
Holly said in some interview that everyone on the staff called Bob "Barker" and not Bob... she said his FANS call him Bob, everyone else calls him "Barker", so interpret that any way you want. It could be that perhaps "Barker" is more authoritive sounding than Bob, so with Bob's ego, perhaps it's the equivalent of being called "your majesty" or something like that. Also, in Bob's book, he said he was called "Billy" growing up, so maybe he doesn't like being called "Bob" off camera (except by his fans).

cyclone45

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 05:33:26 PM »
Bill Cullen, Dick Clark and Peter Tomarken have never claimed to be icons, which means they're personal candidates to be just thst. let's leave all this I make more money than you bs at the door and analyze who the real icon of game shows is

and on a personal note to Bob Barker, you are a household word, but so is garbage and it stinks when it gets old too. I'm Johnny Orgovan, and that's my opinion...

Paraphrasing I know, but it's TRUE!!

BrandonFG

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2012, 07:12:48 PM »
Holly said in some interview that everyone on the staff called Bob "Barker" and not Bob... she said his FANS call him Bob, everyone else calls him "Barker", so interpret that any way you want. It could be that perhaps "Barker" is more authoritive sounding than Bob, so with Bob's ego, perhaps it's the equivalent of being called "your majesty" or something like that.
Again, that does not necessarily have to do with his ego. He was already familiar with his wife calling him "Barker", so it could've just as well been a nickname for people he's comfortable or familiar with. My old coworkers called each other by last name at times too, usually on-air talent.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JMFabiano

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2012, 08:43:46 PM »
Bill Cullen, Dick Clark and Peter Tomarken have never claimed to be icons, which means they're personal candidates to be just thst. let's leave all this I make more money than you bs at the door and analyze who the real icon of game shows is

and on a personal note to Bob Barker, you are a household word, but so is garbage and it stinks when it gets old too. I'm Johnny Orgovan, and that's my opinion...

Paraphrasing I know, but it's TRUE!!

*&^% THIS COMPANY.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.