Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TV Guide: Nobody asked him to "Come on down!"  (Read 18293 times)

Matt Ottinger

TV Guide: Nobody asked him to "Come on down!"
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2012, 05:47:11 PM »
This may not have added to it, but was Barker a handful the last time he came back to peddle his book?
It very easily could have been a factor.  I absolutely could get behind a scenario where the conversation was something like "What can we do for a 40th anniversary that recognizes the longevity of the show without having to put Barker in the middle of it AND gives us some cover from the impression we're ignoring him?  Focus on the contestants?  Great, let's do it!"  The idea that Barker's name never came up?  No way.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Terry K

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2012, 07:55:53 PM »
CBS went as far as to release the clip of TPIR #1 with its first item up for bids to various news packages.  THAT I can imagine didn't set well.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2012, 08:01:33 PM »
CBS went as far as to release the clip of TPIR #1 with its first item up for bids to various news packages.  THAT I can imagine didn't set well.
But again, THAT I can see as just a guy digging out a piece of video from the archive and choosing the first thing on it, not necessarily a "Screw you, Barker" moment.

Argo

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2012, 10:12:12 PM »
But again, THAT I can see as just a guy digging out a piece of video from the archive and choosing the first thing on it, not necessarily a "Screw you, Barker" moment.

And a lot of people i bet were genuinely interested to find out what the very first item up for bids was.

And a lot of people i bet were genuinely interested to find out what the very first item up for bids was.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2012, 04:41:29 AM »
It should also be noted that when TPIR itself played the clip, it ended (awkwardly) immediately after Bob asked for the first IUFB.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 04:41:41 AM by Steve Gavazzi »

Argo

« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2012, 08:11:53 AM »
It should also be noted that when TPIR itself played the clip, it ended (awkwardly) immediately after Bob asked for the first IUFB.

and on TPIR youtube channel, its just an awkward edit, to where he announces the ARP

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2012, 09:42:06 AM »
On the TMZ television show yesterday, they played their clip of Drew Carey saying that nobody thought to include Barker, and called it one of the biggest lies in the history of lies, even going so far as comparing it to "I never had sex with that woman".

It was also the subject of Craig Ferguson's monologue last night:

JMFabiano

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2012, 12:56:04 PM »
...and it's worth precisely what we paid for it.
Dunno about you but I'm expecting a rebate in the mail after reading the nonsense of this guy and James Fabiano.
Let me clarify why i went there. A lot of wrestling fans know that Shawn Michaels was the most TALENTED man in the WWF around 95-98, but backstage he was an adolescent JERK, and he called himself an "icon". Barker was UNBELIEVABLE when it came to hosting...but behind the scenes, he was a jerk.(Janice, Holly, anyone?) To be an icon, you have to be great in the show itself AND a gentleman off of it. Legend, yes. Greatest of all time? NO..that goes to Bill Culen in my book.

Exactly.  (And I knew you got your original spiel from Jim Cornette's old WWF commentaries, hence me referring to his Botchamania meme.  Would that others "got" the reference, huh?)  I'd even throw in a bit of Bruno Sammartino in there, with him acting like a bitter old man who can't accept change.  You gotta think his assessment of the show now had to be part of the reason he wasn't invited.  As if he didn't want to be there anyway, so why bother?  Yet it was all good when he had a book to plug, right?  

I admit he was a great on-screen performer and that I don't fault him for believing in animals' rights.  And I don't think he SHOULDN'T have been there by any means.  But sometimes he takes things a bit too far.  Just because you made a guest appearance on TPIR doesn't mean you agree with the Canadian Stampede's practices.  And yeah, there's the talk about his off-screen antics.  I'll see your Janice and Holly and raise you Dian, Rod, Tom, Dennis, Doug, and Betty.  He's a legend, but not as perfect as some hero worshippers paint him out to be.  (Go back to Cyclone's HBK example, and this is more extreme, but I also can't help but think of how Chris Benoit still has his followers in the IWC...not that I compare Bob Barker's Backstage Satan act to murdering your family and taking the easy way out)  

One thing I have seen hardly mentioned is that at least Bob was seen in the classic clips.  Had they wanted to totally erase him from history, I'm sure they could have edited him out somehow.  (Kind of like how many of the people Cyclone and I mentioned were excluded from previous anniversary shows, and almost totally skipped over in the DVD set.  And hey, wasn't there an instance where they showed a classic clip somewhere and they had whoever the Beauty was blurred out?)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

cyclone45

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »
...and it's worth precisely what we paid for it.
Dunno about you but I'm expecting a rebate in the mail after reading the nonsense of this guy and James Fabiano.
Let me clarify why i went there. A lot of wrestling fans know that Shawn Michaels was the most TALENTED man in the WWF around 95-98, but backstage he was an adolescent JERK, and he called himself an "icon". Barker was UNBELIEVABLE when it came to hosting...but behind the scenes, he was a jerk.(Janice, Holly, anyone?) To be an icon, you have to be great in the show itself AND a gentleman off of it. Legend, yes. Greatest of all time? NO..that goes to Bill Culen in my book.

Exactly.  (And I knew you got your original spiel from Jim Cornette's old WWF commentaries, hence me referring to his Botchamania meme.  Would that others "got" the reference, huh?)  I'd even throw in a bit of Bruno Sammartino in there, with him acting like a bitter old man who can't accept change.  You gotta think his assessment of the show now had to be part of the reason he wasn't invited.  As if he didn't want to be there anyway, so why bother?  Yet it was all good when he had a book to plug, right?  

I admit he was a great on-screen performer and that I don't fault him for believing in animals' rights.  And I don't think he SHOULDN'T have been there by any means.  But sometimes he takes things a bit too far.  Just because you made a guest appearance on TPIR doesn't mean you agree with the Canadian Stampede's practices.  And yeah, there's the talk about his off-screen antics.  I'll see your Janice and Holly and raise you Dian, Rod, Tom, Dennis, Doug, and Betty.  He's a legend, but not as perfect as some hero worshippers paint him out to be.  (Go back to Cyclone's HBK example, and this is more extreme, but I also can't help but think of how Chris Benoit still has his followers in the IWC...not that I compare Bob Barker's Backstage Satan act to murdering your family and taking the easy way out)  

One thing I have seen hardly mentioned is that at least Bob was seen in the classic clips.  Had they wanted to totally erase him from history, I'm sure they could have edited him out somehow.  (Kind of like how many of the people Cyclone and I mentioned were excluded from previous anniversary shows, and almost totally skipped over in the DVD set.  And hey, wasn't there an instance where they showed a classic clip somewhere and they had whoever the Beauty was blurred out?)

Thanks for helping me and defending me, dude..I knew I had a valid argument.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2012, 07:28:05 PM »
Would that others "got" the reference, huh?)
So what if we didn't? Or that we would prefer to do other things with our time than post saying how hilarious you are.

and that I don't fault him for believing in animals' rights.
Who's faulting him for that? Let him do whatever he wants with his time, he's certainly earned it. Just don't come to me with a petition to let male chickens vote, 'cuz I'll have no truck with it. Yes, I guess that makes me a rooster blocker.

I still don't know what it is. I see two guys spazzing out and carrying on and generally behaving like the kind of people I mocked back in school: "Whew, I may be a geek but at least I'm not totally off the rails about it."

Just talk to us and leave the metaphors for another place.
Travis L. Eberle

Brakus

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2012, 05:13:48 PM »
Would that others "got" the reference, huh?)
So what if we didn't? Or that we would prefer to do other things with our time than post saying how hilarious you are.

and that I don't fault him for believing in animals' rights.
Who's faulting him for that? Let him do whatever he wants with his time, he's certainly earned it. Just don't come to me with a petition to let male chickens vote, 'cuz I'll have no truck with it. Yes, I guess that makes me a rooster blocker.

I still don't know what it is. I see two guys spazzing out and carrying on and generally behaving like the kind of people I mocked back in school: "Whew, I may be a geek but at least I'm not totally off the rails about it."

Good to know you were a dick in high school too. Wow, you'd think after graduating from high school, you learn to get past all that crap about making fun of people who are more excitable than you.

At the very least, they were trying to keep the conversation on topic.
"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. THAT is the secret of life." -- Iskandar, King of Conquerors (Fate/Zero, Fate/GO)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2012, 05:22:07 PM »
Hey MattO: Jeremy's back, take a drink.

/At least he didn't misuse "otaku" again.
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2012, 05:38:28 PM »
Good to know you were a dick in high school too. Wow, you'd think after graduating from high school, you learn to get past all that crap about making fun of people who are more excitable than you.

Of course, you are just a ray of sunshine who never gets negative or indignant over anything.

Gosh, I missed you.

/Proud Egghead
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2012, 07:47:36 PM »
Gosh, I missed you.

/Proud Egghead
Ditto.

Signed,

Accomplished A**hole
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2012, 09:52:59 PM »
Aw, now why'd you have to go and draw Jeremy out from under his bridge, Travis?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 09:53:07 PM by Steve Gavazzi »