Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid "sneak peek" on GSN  (Read 36285 times)

chad1m

Pyramid "sneak peek" on GSN
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2012, 11:45:21 PM »
Here's my extended review on it, which includes video of some of the highlights if you didn't see it or would like to see them again. I truly believe it lived up to the hype and I will be an appointment viewer.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:46:08 PM by chad1m »

Sodboy13

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2012, 11:49:10 PM »
That was very enjoyable. The whole thing felt like it was crafted and performed by people who truly get it. Really enjoyed Mike's work at the end of the second Winner's Circle.

Season Pass-worthy.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BrandonFG

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 12:02:39 AM »
No cable over here but DAMN was that impressive! I may have to find a way to watch this one. If Chad's five-minute clip impressed me, I can only imagine how go od the show was!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

geno57

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 12:17:21 AM »
Just watched the "Sneak Preview" of The Pyramid, which aired earlier this evening on GSN.  It was a full half-hour episode.  The game runs pretty much exactly like the original Dick Clark / Bill Cullen versions.  They have even updated the second theme.  The host (whose name escapes me at this second) seems able enough, and the celebs (I hesitate to call them "stars") played well, for the most part.

I just wonder how they can give away the money they're obviously going to be awarding each day.  It appears to be quite a budget!  But I guess that's not for me to worry about.

Four stars out of four, in my humblest of opinions.  I completely enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 12:18:31 AM by geno57 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2012, 12:44:05 AM »
I just wonder how they can give away the money they're obviously going to be awarding each day.  It appears to be quite a budget!  But I guess that's not for me to worry about.
For one, you didn't have a winner's circle victory every day, so that helps. For two I guess they got more money than the "now you can turn your $500 into $5,000 in our bonus game" norm from years ago.
Travis L. Eberle

Jumpondees

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2012, 01:11:03 AM »
I too will echo the sentiment that GSN did this show justice.  I do have my gripes on a couple minor things.

1)  The fast zoom ins on the main game category reveal NEEDS TO GO.  A simple shot of the board will suffice.

2)  I know it was only the first episode shown, but I have to gripe on the "judges".  On the category where the object were to guess the words from the Declaration of Independence, why are we giving credit for "happiness" for saying "happy"?  I know in certain other categories, giving the root word is generally acceptable, but these words were played in context of "name these words found in the...".  These words should have been in " " and credit should not have been given on "happiness" until the player "happiness".

Also, in the WC, on the subject of "Things you spread", you don't spread a "sandwich".  That IMO should have gotten an immediate buzz because the clue did not fit the subject.

Other than that, I thought Mike did pretty well, if this show gets picked up for more cycles, I think he may find his stride.  The set looks great, I just think gold as the dominant color doesn't play well with me, but I shall adjust.

I don't know if I like (what I am referring to as) the "dance club" arrangement of the theme, still way better than the techno crap the Donnymid brought us.  

I think after just one episode, I'll give this a B+.

Honestly, I think GSN has done a good job in taking classic properties like Press Your Luck/Whammy and the Newlywed Game and putting a fresh coat of paint on them and making them modern.  Pyramid at first glance looks like it will fit that mold as well.  I truthfully think that if GSN is going to go the way of more original programming, maybe they should try their hand at more modern updates of classic formats.  They do seem to have success with those.

chad1m

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2012, 01:22:48 AM »
Also, in the WC, on the subject of "Things you spread", you don't spread a "sandwich".  That IMO should have gotten an immediate buzz because the clue did not fit the subject.
I just put mayonnaise on my sandwich. The sandwich has been spread with mayonnaise. I have a spread sandwich. I'm sure that's not what the route were thinking, but it fits.

CJBojangles

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2012, 01:31:53 AM »
All jokes aside, my only gripe is the overabundance of Helvetica/Swiss/Arial/enter cheap sans-serif font here.  Great that you're upping the prize budget but would it kill you to get a couple of font licenses?  Doesn't have to be Clarendon or Bookman but have some creativity here.
As a font geek, agreed wholeheartedly.

My only complaints lie in the small details, which seems to be the consensus. One thing that looks awkward to me is Mike saying "Here is your first subject" and the first box not turning over. It's not until after he says "Go" and a pause of one or two seconds that we see the first subject.

All in all, very pleased with this.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 01:32:58 AM by CJBojangles »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2012, 01:45:59 AM »
One thing that looks awkward to me is Mike saying "Here is your first subject" and the first box not turning over. It's not until after he says "Go" and a pause of one or two seconds that we see the first subject.
I don't like the pause either, but otherwise it wasn't so off-time as people think...very frequently Dick would start the "HERE is your first subject..." and then time his "Go!" with the turn completing.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2012, 02:02:08 AM »
Apparently, I saw "Family Feud" and instantly hit record without bothering to see which time it was. I could've sworn I recorded the 10pm airing, but I evidently recorded the 10:30 airing. I was highly miffed when I came home this evening. Thank you Chad for the highlights.

From what I've seen, it looks like GSN is beginning to see the light. That looked excellent.

What was with the theme? I really liked it. I'm ready to go samba at a Latin dance club to this theme. A nice party theme. They should play it a bit louder.

Mike, from what I've seen, really fits. As I've said elsewhere, he really respects this role since he worked with Dick Clark. And with that respect it is translating into excellent hosting. He'll definitely improve and get into a groove as time goes on.

This is definitely appointment viewing for me.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2012, 02:05:24 AM »
2)  I know it was only the first episode shown, but I have to gripe on the "judges".  On the category where the object were to guess the words from the Declaration of Independence, why are we giving credit for "happiness" for saying "happy"?  I know in certain other categories, giving the root word is generally acceptable, but these words were played in context of "name these words found in the...".  These words should have been in " " and credit should not have been given on "happiness" until the player "happiness".
With a new show, you pretty much have to do it this way. Otherwise you have the problem that Donnymid had with their judging. Anything that gets away from ticky-tack denying of points is a good thing, in my book.

Absolutely not. You spread a sandwich with condiments. That's perfectly fine.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2012, 02:08:56 AM »
Chad and Kevin, please report forthwith to receive your hookers and blow.
Travis L. Eberle

MTCesquire

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2012, 02:11:31 AM »
Am I the only one who feels like the '80s sound effects need to be remastered or something?  All the other effects sound crisp and clean while the buzzer and the WC clock sound like they're being played through a telephone.  Also, a lot of people seem to have an issue with the zooming into the categories/Mike.  I'd like to think they did that as a throwback to the Clark version whenever a category gets chosen.  I'm on board with that.  They just need to work on executing it a little better.

Other than that, I don't really have anything else negative to say.  Mike was excellent, the players were top notch, the judging was on point.  They treated the show with the same seriousness the Clark version did and I couldn't be happier with the results.  I'm going back to watch the preview ep again because Monday can't get here fast enough.

HYHYBT

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2012, 04:16:01 AM »
Passed words are handled the way they always should have been, if only it had been feasible in 1973. "7 of 7" graphic should go, and in the WC, the new category should open either before or at the same time as the old one closes and without the stupid whooshing noise... and yes, this is incredibly nitpicky because aside from the already-mentioned problem of hearing the music (it *really* needs to be louder at a win, especially) it's as near perfect as anything could be.

In the WC that was lost, was anyone else shouting "Larry Craig's stance?"
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Don Howard

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2012, 05:42:51 AM »
Golly, that made me happy.
That sums it up nicely.
I do confess that just as the 1st WC round was starting and the "doot doot", etc. was heard, I almost deafened my wife when I shouted, "All RIGHT!".

Are you gonna be watching Mitt Romney or Pyramid?
From now on, when people start dumping on you, I'm gonna give them a hand.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 05:44:11 AM by Don Howard »