Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid "sneak peek" on GSN  (Read 36312 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Pyramid "sneak peek" on GSN
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2012, 01:31:58 PM »
So, how would you budget for a game show?
God help me, I'm gonna try this.

If you're a producer, your goal is to get as many of your shows greenlit as you can, because that maximizes the amount of money you can make. Speaking purely in prize budgets (a gross simplification, but the concepts that follow can be extrapolated to the entire production, so why not), there are two things that can kill you: a) underbudgeting and then getting canned prematurely when it's discovered that your show costs more than you represented that it does, and b) overbudgeting and therefore b1) your show doesn't get picked up due to whoever balking at the unnecessary extra cost or b2) you are unable to mount another, potentially more successful show because you have too much of your finite budget tied up unnecessary in this one.

You are assuming the maximum payout every single time, which, while safe, is stupid; as such you are doomed to failure; see b) above.

So the trick is in finding that sweet spot between a) and b), and the way you (should) do that is through LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of research and trials. With enough trials, you should be able to get a decent idea of a) the average payout-per-show and b) how that might fluctuate due to a run of good or bad luck. So if it's me, I then set the budget-per-show at (that average payout) + (a reasonable percentage representative of that fluctuation).

Is that 100% safe? No, but no investment is. But (assuming a constant return) minimizing your investment while maintaining a level of comfortable risk is how you maximize your own ROI. The best producers are the ones who can minimize that "comfortable risk" padding without getting bitten by it over the long run.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 01:37:57 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2012, 01:53:37 PM »
*takes notes for future career*

/Could you go back to the 2nd slide, Professor?
//Never mind, I got it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 01:54:50 PM by jjman920 »
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2012, 02:25:13 PM »
See, as a 14 year old kid, budgeting didn't concern me much.  I thought they had enough to cover it.  I didn't worry that Don Lipp had to pay out $10,000 every couple days on "Money Maze" and only twice during the entire run on TBS, I just thought it was exciting when people won.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2012, 02:49:58 PM »
See, as a 14 year old kid, budgeting didn't concern me much.  I thought they had enough to cover it.  I didn't worry that Don Lipp had to pay out $10,000 every couple days on "Money Maze" and only twice during the entire run on TBS, I just thought it was exciting when people won.
Wait, so you ask the question, someone answers it, and then you dismiss the answer with a "Ah, I really don't care about budgeting anyway?"

And this after bitching that nobody wants to have a discussion?

I'm not sure if that's a troll move or a dick move, but I damn well know it's one or the other.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 02:52:50 PM by clemon79 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2012, 04:15:06 PM »
So, how would you budget for a game show?
For one I wouldn't be so risk averse to assume that the grand prize is going out the door every day.

Why should I engage you? You've made it clear that you have no interest in actually having a discussion and prefer to inhabit your own plane of reality, since when somebody dares to prick your solipsistic bubble you just brush it away.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2012, 05:17:09 PM »
Wait, so you ask the question, someone answers it, and then you dismiss the answer with a "Ah, I really don't care about budgeting anyway?"

And this after bitching that nobody wants to have a discussion?

I'm not sure if that's a troll move or a dick move, but I damn well know it's one or the other.
I answered Nick's question about how I would handle budgeting.  I would start with enough budget to cover costs.  When Travis said that was implausible, I asked how he would do it.  To me, if you're gonna offer a big prize, you better have enough to cover the cost.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #111 on: September 02, 2012, 05:51:28 PM »
Jimmy: you were the one who offered One Million Dollars on a single roll of the dice, not us.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2012, 06:50:40 PM »
To me, if you're gonna offer a big prize, you better have enough to cover the cost.
Which reinforces Travis's assessment of...

Good thing you're not a producer then.
...because with that mindset you would be exceptionally bad at it.

stutzunoon

« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2012, 02:40:16 PM »
I don't know if anyone caught this, but while watching the 1st winners circle of the sneak peek episode, I noticed that the contestant was mouthing some of the clues at the same time the celebrity was giving them.

In particular, look at the contestant's mouth during the last 3 subjects...  You can see him mouthing Pretty Woman, sandwich, mayonnaise and bra strap (the latter clue is clearly visible).

Any thoughts about this?

You can take a look at either my WC video on this board or the preview on BuzzerBlog and form your own opinion....
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 02:51:28 PM by stutzunoon »

chad1m

« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »
I noticed that the contestant was mouthing some of the clues at the same time the celebrity was giving them.
I'm pretty sure his lips are just quivering or moving nervously. He does it pretty much the whole round.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 03:23:16 PM by chad1m »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2012, 03:53:55 PM »
I don't know if anyone caught this, but while watching the 1st winners circle of the sneak peek episode, I noticed that the contestant was mouthing some of the clues at the same time the celebrity was giving them.
After looking at the video, I think you're seeing things. Yes, his lips are quivering, but they don't even come close to mouthing the words you say.

JMFabiano

« Reply #116 on: September 03, 2012, 04:38:21 PM »
Watched the whole episode finally...another thing I noticed is that Mike does not ask in the 5th and 6th category who wants to give/receive.  Yet they do allow the decision, as they didn't alternate again.  Ditto for the WC.  Nitpicky thing, but hopefully they do address the rule on air so people know what's going on.  Only Pyramid purists would remember that each team has the option choice in their last category.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

clemon79

« Reply #117 on: September 03, 2012, 04:56:24 PM »
Ditto for the WC.
Mike commented on it the second WC, I believe. And it wasn't like it was ever asked specifically on the Clark show either.

Seriously, folks, you guys are reaching.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2012, 05:03:15 PM »
Seriously, folks, you guys are reaching.
This. We're searching for things to complain about, and we have only seen one episode.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2012, 05:12:03 PM »
Mike commented on it the second WC, I believe. And it wasn't like it was ever asked specifically on the Clark show either.
Wasn't it always Dick saying "I see Charlie has the screen, do you want to keep it that way?" or a similar ad-lib. It wasn't this big deal of "Now since this is the third category of the round the contestant gets to choose whether to give or receive. Sally, which do you want?"

There are a few directorial/camera work choices to criticize, but the game is there. The people who are picking the scab here are so eager to find something different that they're missing out on a classic game re-imagined for today and it is done fairly well.
Travis L. Eberle