Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Behind Door No. 2: A Revamped GSN  (Read 17922 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Behind Door No. 2: A Revamped GSN
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2003, 02:59:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Thad Dixon\' date=\'Dec 15 2003, 01:08 PM\'] Just curious, but Mr. Owen's bringing this up got me wondering:  have there been any other shows at all in the past, that went off due to circumstances like this? [/quote]
 Wasn't that pretty much the whole reasoning behind CBS "defarming" its lineup (jettisoning PETTICOAT JUNCTION, GREEN ACRES, THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES and HEE HAW), and ABC giving up on Lawrence Welk as well (because the audience was "too old, not too small")?  I know it's kind of apples and oranges, but it's still a rebranding principle.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2003, 03:19:26 PM »
[quote name=\'CSUPYLFAN\' date=\'Dec 15 2003, 12:43 PM\'] I'm wondering what will happen to the bulletin boards over there (I haven't been over there yet to see if anything's been said about it).  Additionally, I sure hope you all continue to maintain this forum.  I like it here.  =)
 [/quote]
 There was an ATGS before GSN. This forum will exist after GSN. In fact, I'm inclined to think the quality of this forum will only improve.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Timsterino

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2003, 03:29:23 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 15 2003, 01:55 AM\'] Let the whining commence! [/quote]
 It does suck....
Whine, whine, whine......

As someone else said, it was good while it lasted. For what its worth, I hope it backfires on them. I have been missing going to the movies more and more. Now it is time to go out there and get a life. ;-) Boy my wife will be surprised. :-)

Tim :-)

SplitSecond

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2003, 03:52:56 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 15 2003, 09:45 AM\']
There's probably a variety of factors that make them so much more important than us viewers.
Actually, there's really only one. It's green and it folds. [/quote]
 Oscar the Grouch with an unsuited deuce-8?

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2003, 04:00:54 PM »
I am saddenedabout this whole buisness. It irritates me how the network is going down the "popular trend" (I still think reality shows won't be around much longer) and almost seems to be trying to put on a reality based network before their competitor does. I'll still try the new network when I can-I don't believe in "appointment television". But I hope between now and when the re-branding occurs, that they stop and seriously think about this.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 04:01:50 PM by urbanpreppie05 »
insert signature here

BrandonFG

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2003, 04:24:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Dec 15 2003, 03:29 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 15 2003, 01:55 AM\'] Let the whining commence! [/quote]
It does suck....
Whine, whine, whine......

As someone else said, it was good while it lasted. For what its worth, I hope it backfires on them. I have been missing going to the movies more and more. Now it is time to go out there and get a life. ;-) Boy my wife will be surprised. :-)

Tim :-) [/quote]
I agree. Life goes on, and as much as I enjoy game shows, I must admit, I've found myself way too busy to even sit and watch them anymore. Am I disappointed about GSN? Yes, but I will get over it, and know there is more to life than game shows. And some people need to realize this. The apocolypse is not upon us just because our blessed channel is making a drastic change, even if it is for the worst.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2003, 04:37:07 PM »
The part I'm not getting is the the assumption on their part that they're going to do MORE business by trying to attract the same audience that's already being served by lots of other networks.  They also seem to be doing more following than leading, and when you follow, you're always going to be at least a step or two behind.  ("Televised poker is popular, let's put on....televised blackjack!")

I don't think that a traditional GSN had much more room for growth, and my bet is that they didn't either.  So if the level that it reached wasn't satisfactory to them, the only thing to do would be to go off in some new direction.  Problem is, every "new direction" they've tried so far has been an abysmal failure, the video games block being only the most recent example.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2003, 04:52:56 PM »
Like I said before, maybe Bob Boden will keep the dream alive for us someday. But for now it's dead. Kaputs. Blasted.

J.R.

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2003, 05:25:26 PM »
I have this odd feeling when this "New" GSN fails, they're going to cry back to us and put classics back on. I propose when they do this, we reject them anyway. They can buy us back.

Switch to Trio !

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2003, 05:47:04 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 15 2003, 04:25 PM\'] I have this odd feeling when this "New" GSN fails, they're going to cry back to us and put classics back on. I propose when they do this, we reject them anyway. They can buy us back. [/quote]
 Strange world we live in.  One in which a "slim chance" and a "fat chance" both mean the same thing.  And both apply to the prospect of "GSN crying back to us," "GSN putting classics back on," and "GSN buying us back."

Nice try, though.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2003, 06:03:45 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 15 2003, 03:25 PM\'] I have this odd feeling when this "New" GSN fails, they're going to cry back to us and put classics back on. I propose when they do this, we reject them anyway. They can buy us back.
 [/quote]
 Cowcookies.

I was a fan of game shows before GSN, I will continue to be a fan of game shows AFTER GSN, and to not avail myself of programming I enjoy the rare times it is offered to me hurts me way more than it will ever hurt a major media conglomerate.

Like Doug said, you have a better chance of hearing Tom Leykis advocate women's rights before it would ever happen, but if the day comes that another network pops up, GSN or otherwise, and they wanna show me Concentration, I'll be right there to watch, and I wager you will be too.

dzinkin

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2003, 06:18:53 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 15 2003, 06:03 PM\'] Cowcookies.

I was a fan of game shows before GSN, I will continue to be a fan of game shows AFTER GSN, and to not avail myself of programming I enjoy the rare times it is offered to me hurts me way more than it will ever hurt a major media conglomerate.

Like Doug said, you have a better chance of hearing Tom Leykis advocate women's rights before it would ever happen, but if the day comes that another network pops up, GSN or otherwise, and they wanna show me Concentration, I'll be right there to watch, and I wager you will be too. [/quote]
 Chris, I hereby propose that whenever Bob Boden finds himself creating new game shows again, you send him a proposal for "Cowcookie Concentration." :-)

clemon79

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2003, 06:39:56 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Dec 15 2003, 04:18 PM\'] Chris, I hereby propose that whenever Bob Boden finds himself creating new game shows again, you send him a proposal for "Cowcookie Concentration." :-) [/quote]
 I suppose it could be done on a cable budget.

"Number 25, please, Chris."

"And behind Number 25 we have...{flop}...25 bales of hay. No match. Flop those back, and over to you, Cletus."

aaron sica

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2003, 06:52:55 PM »
Like some of the others on here, I am disappointed that GSN has decided to go off in this direction. However:

The keyword here is "downplay". GSN (or whatever it's going to be called) is still going to have game shows on, in just a much, much more limited role than before.

And as Chris said, we've lived without GSN before and we'll live without it after. This is by no means any reason to proclaim that "the end of the world" is here, just because your favorite cable channel is switching its identity.

And, in conclusion, there is a very tiny part of me that is glad that this happened, because of all the "whiners". GSN was never good enough for you....Well... you don't know what you got 'til it's gone.

J.R.

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2003, 07:48:27 PM »
I appologize for my outburst. It was a spur of the moment occurence.

Besides, I have plenty of Concentration in my collection to keep me happy without GSN.

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor