Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's the Good Word? & Celebrity Dominoes  (Read 2488 times)

thomas_meighan

What's the Good Word? & Celebrity Dominoes
« on: August 20, 2012, 06:02:17 PM »
Does anyone recall how these two CTV games were played? I've only come across vague descriptions online--"What's the Good Word?", obviously enough, was a word game that was taped in Vancouver and lasted from 1972-76; John Barton was the host. "Celebrity Dominoes" had both daytime and primetime editions in 1975-76 and originated from Montreal. I haven't been able to find out who hosted it.

http://www.broadcasting-history.ca/ has a little information on both.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 09:36:59 PM »
Since I haven't seen either show since they left the air, I'm going by very hazy memories here, but this is the best I can come up with:  What's the Good Word? was a word game where I believe the host read a slang word, and the contestants (I think they were couples) had a choice of six words and had to bet on which word was the right meaning.  The winners at the end of the show got to play a bonus game.  

Celebrity Dominoes featured Canadian celebrities Dave Broadfoot and Dinah Christie as regulars, and three other guests each week.  Quite frequently American celebrites would be the other panelists.  Bob Denver played the game one week.  I think the host read some sort of joke and the contestants had to pick out the right punch line given by the celebrities.  If they got it right, they got to see the domino the celebrity who supplied the right punch line had.  They could keep it or decline it, and the first to get a match won the game.  Paul Hanover was the host.  He also hosted the Canadian version of Pay Cards, which CTV cancelled after a three-year run to make room for this show.

EDIT:  the website says it involved scrambled words but I don't recall that at all
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:39:26 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 04:04:03 AM »
Those were 2 shows that I use to watch as a kid.  Ian's description of WTGW's not what I remember.  IIRC, there were 3 couples in each game.  The announcer describes what the key word is to go for.  Each couple has a chance to buzz in & write down what they think that word is.  The host tries very hard to not say the correct word so the other couples can still play that word.  Each key word has a total of 10 clue words related to it.  If a couple gets the word right, they score a particular point value(1, 2, 3...all the way up to 10).  There are no penalties for wrong guesses when you buzz in, however, if you don't get the key word after all 10 clue words were given, you got the penalty of having 11 points added to your score because in this game, the lower the score, the better your chances are of winning.  There would be a series of these words untill a time's up sounder went off.  As I said, lowest score wins & returns the next show.

As far as Celebrity Dominoes, players start to alternate calling celebrities untill a pair is revealed(1s, 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s & 6s).  After revealing that pair, the celebriy tells a funny story that ends with the celebrity using a prop of some kind to signify a scrambled word that appears in their monitors. If the players don't get the word, letters start to be called from left to right untill someone buzzes in with that word. Whoever gets the word controls the board & looks for a domino that connects one of the mumbets.  Play continues untill the board is filled. This would last about 3 rounds I think.  Scoring is based on the dots.  Each dot was worth a certain value I think.  The player with the most points wins the game.  Not sure if there was an end game but if there was one, I don't remember it.