Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $25,000 Pyramid (CBS) Money Total Question  (Read 11229 times)

Darnits

$25,000 Pyramid (CBS) Money Total Question
« on: August 07, 2012, 01:50:02 PM »
Was watching an episode a few days ago and a scenario like this occurred:

First trip to the Winner's Circle: $750 win
Second trip to the Winner's Circle: $25,000 win

I always thought that contestants would keep the smaller consolation money won even if they won the $25,000 on their second trip (ie, total of $25,750). However, when the scores were being recapped at the end of the show, the big winner was said to have had only $25,000.

Were they wrong in the recap or was this how it was always done?

Jon

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 03:10:05 PM »
Were they wrong in the recap or was this how it was always done?
Always done, a $25,000 win paid $25,000 for both trips, whether you won $500 or $10,000 in the first half.
Travis L. Eberle

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 03:10:12 PM »
That is how it was done.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

gameshowcrazy

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 04:17:39 PM »
I remember it always being a "bump up"

but since we're talking winners circle, did anyone ever see this:

player 1 goes up to WC in first half of show, doesn't win $10K, but gets the first five subjects.

player 2 goes up to WC in second half of show, immediately passes on first subject to "go for the win"

While I love having returning champions, I never liked how this show did it because of the above possibility.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 04:22:12 PM »

player 1 goes up to WC in first half of show, doesn't win $10K, but gets the first five subjects.

player 2 goes up to WC in second half of show, immediately passes on first subject to "go for the win"

While I love having returning champions, I never liked how this show did it because of the above possibility.
Why? If the first contestant scores $750, in order to "go for the win," you'd have to get the remaining five categories, including the tough one at the top. And if you pass straight away you're going to frazzle your celebrity partner who is expecting to blow throw that bottom row, scoop up 300 easy bucks in 15 seconds and use the rest of the time on the last three.

I don't think this is nearly as clever a stratagem as you think it is
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 04:25:45 PM »
That's about as likely to happen as someone insta-passing every category and bouncing around the board to whatever category they want to play (not very.)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 04:30:38 PM »
I never liked contestants standing up on Hollywood Squares because of the possibility of someone deciding to moon America.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 04:30:48 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 05:22:30 PM »
I never liked contestants standing up on Hollywood Squares because of the possibility of someone deciding to moon America.
Dan? Is that you?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 05:37:35 PM »
Dan? Is that you?
Nah, can't be; Chris is both coherent and balanced. :)
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 05:48:33 PM »
That's about as likely to happen as someone insta-passing every category and bouncing around the board to whatever category they want to play (not very.)
Board bouncing, you say? I may have found someone who'll subscribe to your publication.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Jay Temple

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 06:00:37 PM »
I don't agree with giving clues just so you can "go for the win". However, I could understand giving the clues so that you can manage the clock better.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 06:08:39 PM »
I don't agree with giving clues just so you can "go for the win". However, I could understand giving the clues so that you can manage the clock better.
What's this then? If you're giving the clues, you don't get to see the clock.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 06:39:10 PM »
Think about this.  You're suggesting that it would be a smart strategy to skip over the easiest box, one that wouldn't take but a few seconds to knock off, in order to have those few extra seconds to maybe get the most difficult box and beat your opponent on points?  Seems the most likely scenario in that case is that you fail to get the challenging top box anyway and lose by $50.  And the next most likely scenario is that you manage to knock off the top box but screw yourself out of the big money because you didn't get the first one.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 06:59:45 PM »
Nah, can't be; Chris is both coherent and balanced. :)
Well, one out of two ain't bad, anyhow. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 08:34:36 PM »
What's this then? If you're giving the clues, you don't get to see the clock.
True, but if you have a general sense of how quickly you've gotten the first three, and you need an unusual amount like $550 or $800, you can make a quick decision about the $200 and $250 boxes.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.