Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your Holy Grail of game show episodes or footage  (Read 48214 times)

jjman920

• Mhoops.
Your Holy Grail of game show episodes or footage
« Reply #150 on: August 14, 2012, 09:05:51 PM »
Do color still photos exist of CBS What's My Line? from the final 1966-67 season?
I'd gather so, but I haven't seen any. I'll do you one better, though. A color photo from What's My Line?'s experimental color episode from 1954. And I've found a few other color promotional photos (including one with Hal Block) on Google.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #151 on: August 15, 2012, 03:06:17 AM »
How do you know that photo was from the experimental color episode and not a run-of-the-mill episode from studio 59?

Were there two "experimental" episodes of WML, one with the CBS spinning-color-wheel system and the other from studio 72(?) using RCA TK40s or 41s in NTSC?

What an ugly color scheme, BTW.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 03:07:46 AM by chris319 »

SamJ93

« Reply #152 on: August 15, 2012, 09:12:31 AM »
And there's a picture of that '50s version here.

Good Lord, was Todd Russell a used-car salesman before doing this show?  His plastic smile makes Bert Parks look sincere.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #153 on: August 16, 2012, 01:57:08 AM »
How do you know that photo was from the experimental color episode and not a run-of-the-mill episode from studio 59?

Were there two "experimental" episodes of WML, one with the CBS spinning-color-wheel system and the other from studio 72(?) using RCA TK40s or 41s in NTSC?

Well, you'll haveta kinda take **my** word for it, but actually, he was right.  The cover photo of the Dot LP is from the 1954 experimental color episode, which unfortunately does not survive in any known form...  

...apart from a batch of stills (presumably color, though I've only seen B&W versions of them) that were taken that night.

And for what it's worth, I agree about the color scheme.

- Kevin

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #154 on: August 16, 2012, 08:52:13 AM »

I got my information from TV.com so I have no idea, although TwoInchQuad is corroborating my source. Also, this picture seems to suggest that they changed the color specifically for that color episode. I always assumed that the name cards were black, so they probably changed them to show off that night.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #155 on: August 17, 2012, 12:28:44 AM »

I got my information from TV.com so I have no idea, although TwoInchQuad is corroborating my source. Also, this picture seems to suggest that they changed the color specifically for that color episode. I always assumed that the name cards were black, so they probably changed them to show off that night.

Actually, the nameplates **are** (or rather, **were**) black.  They were retouched to blue for the Dot LP cover.

- Kevin