Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your Holy Grail of game show episodes or footage  (Read 48210 times)

aaron sica

Your Holy Grail of game show episodes or footage
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 10:12:11 PM »
All of the MG'90 pilots.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 10:18:18 PM »
And I believe composer-lyricist Stephen Sondheim played Password; I bet that would be wickedly fun to see.
That one is the most tantalizing, because there's every reason to believe it exists along with most of the other prime time Passwords, and just hasn't been aired by GSN.

If the game is "more episodes of your favorite old show", then I want more Three on a Match.  Still, when I think "Holy Grail", I think of a series for which absolutely no video is known to exist, especially a successful series.  And I think the general consensus of the board tends to be that the 70s Sale of the Century is the biggest current Grail.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 10:32:10 PM »
Any episode of Say When!! In particular, the episode of Say When!! where the associate producer's sons appear wearing sailor suits (inside reference). I don't care about the peanut butter commercial.

Any episode of Word for Word, Call My Bluff, Jan Murray's Charge Account or Chain Letter.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:33:40 PM by chris319 »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 11:06:18 PM »
This might be a stretch for a "holy grail", but I want to see this considering my copy of this is long gone, and it was highly incomplete.

I would like the last day of The Family Channel interactive games from December 1994.  I was one of the 10 finalists in Jumble (or maybe it was Boggle?), who was to play for a trip to FAO Schwartz in New York City and $2500.  The folks at The Family Channel said they would contact all finalists within an hour of the qualifying game from the day before.  I knew I did real well, but I didn't get a call within that window.  The following day, I decided to do some post-Xmas shopping and to open up my first checking account.  When I got home, my sister said The Family Channel called!  My sister, 15 at the time and not knowing what the heck she was doing with the interactive games, tried her best.  The real funny part, IMO, was how they mangled every bit of information when they displayed the finalists--both my sister's first and last names were misspelled, as well as the city where we lived!

tomobrien

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 11:39:38 PM »
Any episode of Say When!! In particular, the episode of Say When!! where the associate producer's sons appear wearing sailor suits (inside reference). I don't care about the peanut butter commercial.

Any episode of Word for Word, Call My Bluff, Jan Murray's Charge Account or Chain Letter.

I'm with you on those, and I'd add in a few personal faces: any episode of "Let's Play Post Office" and "Make a Face."  And maybe (although I'm not sure I'd want to revisit it) the episode of "It's Academic" I was on in 1973.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »
My friend Sandy Mumbach was a $20K Pyramid winner--that hardly describes it; she won sixteen consecutive front games before getting to the top of the pyramid.  I'd love to be able to show her that appearance.

Sixteen?  How many days does that equal?

(seriously...wow, and in a good way)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

GameShowFan

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 12:06:02 AM »
Real answer: Some of the better shows from the '70s -- Celebrity Sweepstakes (besides the final show), syndie Jeopardy!, etc.

Joke Answer: The episode of Match Game '77 where the definitive answer to every question was "boobs."

SuperMatch93

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 12:09:38 AM »
-More Who, What or Where Game or Three on a Match
-Hour long Wheel and Squares
-Either of the two other Second Chance pilots
-Any more episodes with Gene Snook (the guy who won Big Numbers with snake-eyes) on The New High Rollers
-The rest of Sale of the Century's 1983 premiere week

Even though no footage exists, a CBS Television Quiz rulesheet or transcript would be exciting.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 12:38:08 AM »
For me, outside of the original Sale of the Century, my vote for Holy Grail would be any color episode of the Original The Price is Right, I've Got A Secret, and What's My Line?

I'd also like to see the special daytime Community Chest episode of What's My Line? that was discovered some years ago.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2012, 12:45:50 AM »
I wonder if at least the 1967 finale of WML? exists in its original color/videotape form.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:45:59 AM by gameshowlover87 »

MrBuddwing

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 01:16:42 AM »
Well, as long as we're free to fantasize...

I wish I could re-see every episode of every game show I ever saw.

They would include that episode of "Eye Guess" in which a contestant was asked by Bill Cullen, "What do you call a person who runs for political office?" and the contestant picked a number, and up came, "A NUT."

Episodes of "PDQ," especially the week that Don Adams and Barbara Feldon made up the home team while "Get Smart!" was still going strong. Also the episodes in which the celebrities were all game show hosts: Peter Marshall, Monty Hall and Tom Kennedy. (Dennis James, of course, was the regular host.)

A 1960s oddity called "Seven Keys" with a towering board of lighted panels that reached all the way up to 100.

Episodes of the original "Match Game" on NBC. I seem to recall a week of shows with Liza Minnelli and Milton Berle. (On that version, when people finished scrawling their answers on cards, they were supposed to raise their hand; I remember Berle raising both hands, prompting my 6-year-old self to exclaim, "What a silly man!") And then there was the time writer Dick DeBartolo skipped out to mug for the camera.

An episode of "Let's Make a Deal" on NBC in which Monty Hall picked a handsome, well-dressed woman who wasn't wearing an outlandish costume, and didn't have anything to "trade" - so she gave up her shoes, and ended up winning them back as a zonk.

Practically all of the above, I'm certain, no longer exists. Something which I'm pretty sure exists, and which I'd love to have a copy of, was Maria von Trapp's appearance on the syndicated "What's My Line?" (She walked out wearing an Austrian costume and signed in as "Miss X." A perplexed Arlene Francis asked if her claim to fame was some kind of accomplishment - "Did you fly over the ocean? Did you climb a mountain?" And host Larry Blyden burst into laughter.)

40onTheBlue

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2012, 01:30:41 AM »
Any episode of:
[list=1]
  • Baffle
  • The Wizard of Odds
  • Snap Judgment (either format)
  • The first run of High Rollers
  • The 70's $ale of the ¢entury (either format)
  • The Money Maze
More of:
[list=1]
  • Any Fleming-hosted episode of Jeopardy! (any version) that isn't already available
  • The Who, What or Where Game
  • The Big Showdown
  • CBS Gambit
  • Three on a Match
  • 70's Jackpot!
  • 70's Split Second
  • 1971-74 Password
And as for Concentration:
[list=1]
  • Any episode of the early 60's prime time version
  • The first colour episode of the 1958-73 run
  • More of the 70's syndicated version
  • Any episode at all that isn't already available, really
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:00:25 PM by 40onTheBlue »
Greetings from Canada.

Winkfan

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 01:47:37 AM »
I seem to recall a similar thread on that other game show forum (which I will not mention) asking which shows we could "un-destroy." Since some of my choices have been uncovered on the trading circuit in the years since, here's what I'm still yearning for:

1.) The Big Payoff (especially any Randy Merriman-hosted installments)
2.) Call My Bluff
3.) Double Exposure
4.) Dream Girl Of '67
5.) Win With A Winner

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 04:35:36 AM »
Most of mine are from the 70's, so here goes:

The early humble beginnings of Wheel of Fortune from 1975
From The Price Is Right(1972-), the pticing games Finish Line & the Telephone Game(not the Phone Home Game from the 80's) as well as the Shower Game.
Any 70's $ale of the Century(seems to be a runnung theme on that).
A 70's Pyramid where there was a 42-41(or something like that) front game.  I vaguely remember seeing that once.
Any episodes from Showoffs not on YouTube as well as a full 1975 Cross-Wits show, Spinoffs, a Gene Wood hosted Beat the Clock as well as the Canadian game show What's the Good Word?
Last, but certainly not least, the first color episode of Flemming J!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 04:36:32 AM »
Seven Keys is a great pick.

I'll pass on Joe Garagiola's Memory Game.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 04:37:48 AM by chris319 »