Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Puzzlers - Pilot review with pictures...  (Read 8674 times)

Bryce L.

Puzzlers - Pilot review with pictures...
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 04:56:09 PM »
It doesn't explain The Better Sex, but NBC was the first port of call during the Fred Silverman era and CBS the second.
Funny, I thought I remembered reading that Fred Silverman disliked game shows (and in fact was the one responsible for sending Password packing from CBS in 1967)... did he change his tune once he hit NBC?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 05:09:31 PM »
There were rumors that NBC wanted to get rid of all game shows. After America Alive didn't take off, that idea fizzled for the time being. It was back to game shows and Goodson-Todman, a major supplier in that genre.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:12:26 PM by chris319 »

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 09:37:36 PM »
They didn't like that one family could do the bulk of the work, strike out, and the opposing family could "steal" it away with just one correct answer. Of course Goodson was right because it gives the game drama and irony.
Sooooooo....what were they suggesting as a replacement?
I don't think that's how notes work.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 02:58:29 PM »
They didn't like that one family could do the bulk of the work, strike out, and the opposing family could "steal" it away with just one correct answer. Of course Goodson was right because it gives the game drama and irony.
Sooooooo....what were they suggesting as a replacement?
I don't think that's how notes work.
Plus the conversation was about "Why aren't we pitching Puzzlers to ABC?" rather than "What were the details of ABC's objections to the Family Feud steal?" Without the steal maybe the money would remain in the bank and they would move on to the next question?

According to the irrefutable and eminently authoritative Wikipedia, none other than Michael Eisner was head of ABC daytime when Family Feud went on the air, but in our conversation Ira cited Jackie Smith. BTW, wasn't Noreen Conlin at ABC at one point?

Ian Wallis

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 09:59:05 PM »
There were rumors that NBC wanted to get rid of all game shows. After America Alive didn't take off, that idea fizzled for the time being. It was back to game shows and Goodson-Todman, a major supplier in that genre.

Wow...didn't know that!  I guess it's a good thing America Alive didn't do very well.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 12:53:23 AM »
Good stuff Jamie! Have to offer a correction in the bonus round: the 10-pictures-in-30-seconds was actually part one of a two part bonus. You got $100 for each set of initials you solved, and played for ten times that in the Photo Finish. In that circle, you had one picture describing two initials. If you identified what both stood for in 10 seconds, you won ten times what you won in the first part.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 01:39:16 AM »
Have to offer a correction in the bonus round: the 10-pictures-in-30-seconds was actually part one of a two part bonus. You got $100 for each set of initials you solved, and played for ten times that in the Photo Finish. In that circle, you had one picture describing two initials. If you identified what both stood for in 10 seconds, you won ten times what you won in the first part.
The fact that I don't remember much about the details of the format after 32 years tells you something about the format.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 01:41:20 AM by chris319 »