Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: No more consolation prizes on TPiR  (Read 7816 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
No more consolation prizes on TPiR
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
It amazes me they can't find advertisers to at least sponsor the grocery items in pricing games. I mean, if GSN can draw paying advertisers, why can't The Price Is Right?
To the best of my knowledge, GSN hasn't made fun of products on-air or smashed them without cause.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 02:06:03 PM »
They were having trouble getting the groceries/small prizes sponsored long before Drew took over.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 02:35:11 PM »
Unfortunately, some advertisers don't want to explicitly sell their items to great-grandma. A problem Price has been battling for over a decade.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 04:53:22 PM »
It amazes me they can't find advertisers to at least sponsor the grocery items in pricing games. I mean, if GSN can draw paying advertisers, why can't The Price Is Right?
To the best of my knowledge, GSN hasn't made fun of products on-air or smashed them without cause.
I'll never forget the time Bob Barker grabbed a copy of the 1st EOTVGS they were giving away, threw it on the floor and kicked it across the studio--just because his picture was not on the cover.  Why would an advertiser supply a prize if it's gonna be trashed?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:54:07 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 05:13:34 PM »
I'll never forget the time Bob Barker grabbed a copy of the 1st EOTVGS they were giving away, threw it on the floor and kicked it across the studio--just because his picture was not on the cover.  Why would an advertiser supply a prize if it's gonna be trashed?
At least there was a somewhat logical reason for Barker to be doing that, as opposed to Drew just smashing a container of yogurt because he thinks it's more interesting than playing Hi Lo.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 05:18:47 PM »
At least there was a somewhat logical reason for Barker to be doing that
If Barker apologism could reach a higher point, I simply don't know how.

(I'm also not sure if there's a weaker excuse for slipping in a Saint Barker v. That Goddamn Drew Guy Who Ruined My Show slam.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 05:22:52 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 05:25:54 PM »
At least there was a somewhat logical reason for Barker to be doing that, as opposed to Drew just smashing a container of yogurt because he thinks it's more interesting than playing Hi Lo.
For some watchers (and by some, replace that with whatever percentage you imagine it to be, in my case that's about 93%) they watched that and it was the most interesting or funny thing that happened during the whole episode. That's what comedians do, they try to make things funny. When you have a comedian hosting a game show, he is going to try to make it funny.
Travis L. Eberle

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 10:01:11 PM »
That's what comedians do, they try to make things funny. When you have a comedian hosting a game show, he is going to try to make it funny.
Making it funny by driving away (potential) sponsors? Back on , he did his little "smash the stuff" routine in Hi-Lo and did so to a sponsored product (a Gorton's item).

For some watchers (and by some, replace that with whatever percentage you imagine it to be, in my case that's about 93%) they watched that and it was the most interesting or funny thing that happened during the whole episode.
The example you're referring to (Drew smashing yogurt) was the same day Amber managed to botch Switch? into a win (Drew said "Switch!", she revealed a price instead).
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 10:37:54 PM »
That's what comedians do, they try to make things funny. When you have a comedian hosting a game show, he is going to try to make it funny.
Making it funny by driving away (potential) sponsors? Back on , he did his little "smash the stuff" routine in Hi-Lo and did so to a sponsored product (a Gorton's item).
Oh the humanity!

It's a JOKE. Humor. Laughs. How many times are we going to head down this road?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 10:44:20 PM »
BINGO!!!!!

ETA:  Image changed.  Youngin' Kevin Prather gets a hat tip for the new pic.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 10:51:52 PM by MikeK »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 10:48:51 PM »
BINGO!!!!!
And people wonder where the great new games are coming from...
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 10:51:46 PM »
Oh the humanity!

It's a JOKE. Humor. Laughs. How many times are we going to head down this road?
This is why I like you. You get me. I'd actually answer Dan's questions if I thought he was physically able of interpreting something that went against his ideology.

/Klauss also gets some spillover respect for getting Benfield Bingo.
//Could you also fill in the "serious business" square?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 10:57:28 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 10:57:47 PM »
/Klauss also gets some spillover respect for getting Benfield Bingo.
//Could you also fill in the "serious business" square?
I did.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 12:13:16 AM »
But who outside of the members of this board, Golden-Road.net, the staff of the show, the network, and people who work in the industry are going to realize that? That's the thing. Viewers don't care. It's as simple as that, no more no less. They might notice when games are hard or when something goes wrong technically, but that's it. They don't care that the show they tune into occasionally when they're off of work, might have just lost a sponsor because Drew made them laugh.

Sad, I know, but devastatingly true.

So they can put a sticker on the 2nd Edition that says "Kicked By Bob Barker!"

I'm sure Bob would've been okay with that same reasoning had Drew done it with his book when he was on the show.

/"Hey Bob! Go long!"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 12:15:40 AM by jjman920 »
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

BillCullen1

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2012, 01:35:33 PM »
I'd rather have $300 than some crap I'll never use.

I agree (X gets the square).