Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $0  (Read 16003 times)

TimK2003

$0
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 03:23:12 AM »

There was also a show where two players tied with $0 and the other whammied out; plus at least one other where two players whammied out and the third was left with $0.

That was probably the episode with an older lady named Mabel, I have that ep on tape somewhere.

whewfan

$0
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 05:03:56 PM »
There were two (that I know of) episodes of The Gong Show where all of the eligible acts were either gonged or interrupted for some reason (in one case, it was during the show's last week, so they had a lot of returning acts, including "The Worm"), so nobody won the prize.
The other was in the last show of the second Steve Martin week in 1977, but in that instance the "Worst Act of the Week" (later to become the "Most Outrageous Act of the Week") was from that episode, so $516.32 was given away.  (They stopped that award in early 1978.)

Yep, I think I have that episode on tape. Since every act was being gonged, and they had time to fill, Steve Martin played his banjo on the stage, not once, but TWICE.

alfonzos

$0
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 05:15:15 PM »
Yes, I witnessed on episode of Fleming's J! where no contestant qualified for Final Jeopardy. Credits ran on a slow crawl that day.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

SamJ93

$0
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 07:39:15 PM »
How about the first ep. of the original Twenty-One, the only one that wasn't rigged?  The story goes that only one question was answered correctly during the entire show--so it's possible the two contestants in question didn't receive anything for their efforts.  Perhaps someone who's seen the show in question can corroborate?
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

davidhammett

$0
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 11:28:51 PM »
There was an episode of Merv Griffin's Crosswords where the winning contestant had a score of negative $250.  Then they played the endgame and didn't win, so the total winnings were $0.  If you weren't watching on Christmas Eve that year (where they decided to bury the episode), you probably missed it.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
$0
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 11:44:26 PM »
There was an episode of Merv Griffin's Crosswords where the winning contestant had a score of negative $250.  Then they played the endgame and didn't win, so the total winnings were $0.  If you weren't watching on Christmas Eve that year (where they decided to bury the episode), you probably missed it.

I wasn't and I saw it. It was just another example of how broken that format was.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
$0
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 12:55:24 AM »
There was an episode of Merv Griffin's Crosswords where the winning contestant had a score of negative $250.  Then they played the endgame and didn't win, so the total winnings were $0.
Bah. They should have billed his ass. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SamJ93

$0
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 07:23:19 AM »
There was an episode of Merv Griffin's Crosswords where the winning contestant had a score of negative $250.  Then they played the endgame and didn't win, so the total winnings were $0.
Bah. They should have billed his ass. :)

Just like on J!, as Marge Simpson found out the hard way...
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

BillCullen1

$0
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 01:24:33 PM »
IIRC, on the first season of Trebek's Jeopardy, all three contestants bet all their winnings on FJ and got it wrong. Alex said there would be three NEW contetants on the next show. This was 1984, and the memory is a bit fuzzy. The strategy of FJ wasn't as established as it is now.

On Rayburn's syndie MG, a couple of contestants didn't match any of the Super Match answers and won $0. I remember Rayburn saying "shake my hand" while in the background Brett was saying "Doesn't he get $100?" and someone saying "Not anymore." Might have been CNR.

On Match Game PM, a couple of contestants won $0. IIRC, one guy got $100 and Rayburn said "With your luck you'll get mugged on the way home." For one lady they played a question where each celeb she matched got her $100. I beieve she matched all six.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 01:36:43 PM by BillCullen1 »

BrandonFG

$0
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 01:26:55 PM »
IIRC, on the first season of Trebek's Jeopardy, all three contestants bet all their winnings on FJ and got it wrong. Alex said there would be three NEW contetants on the next show. This was 1984, and the memory is a bit fuzzy. The strategy of FJ wasn't as established as it is now.
The second episode I believe. It happened again c. 1997...I remember watching it and being quite surprised.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jay Temple

$0
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 02:40:58 PM »
The second episode I believe. It happened again c. 1997...I remember watching it and being quite surprised.
Absolutely confirmed about the second ep. 1997 is about right for the other. It didn't air in my area (Labor Day show, hence pre-empted by telethon?) so I tuned in the next day and was even more surprised when there was no returning champion!
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Kevin Prather

$0
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »
1997 is about right for the other. It didn't air in my area (Labor Day show, hence pre-empted by telethon?) so I tuned in the next day and was even more surprised when there was no returning champion!
According to j-archive, Labor Day '97 was right in the middle of Fred Ramen's run.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 02:55:02 PM by Kevin Prather »

Matt Ottinger

$0
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2012, 03:51:39 PM »
Unfortunately, for a lot of people, the lesson learned was that you're supposed to wager everything except one dollar.  For the record, that by itself is rarely a very good strategy either, and usually worse than wagering it all.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
$0
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2012, 03:54:03 PM »
For one lady they played a question where each celeb she matched got her $100. I beieve she matched all six.
I would be curious to get some kind of corroboration on this, because I'd think it would have come up before now.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

KrisW73

$0
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2012, 04:11:03 PM »
For one lady they played a question where each celeb she matched got her $100. I beieve she matched all six.
I would be curious to get some kind of corroboration on this, because I'd think it would have come up before now.

Here's the Super Matches in question and the mini game for $100 at a match:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0Aum5WZV8P0[/media]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 04:14:04 PM by KrisW73 »