Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $0  (Read 16000 times)

J.R.

$0
« on: July 13, 2012, 09:39:20 PM »
The talk about Jeopardy ties had me thinking.

Has there ever been an episode of anything in which a grand total of nothing was given away? (Things like consolation gifts don't count)

ETA: I'd like to keep this to American shows only. I know the UK has quite a few recent stuff with nothing won.

Appreciated as always.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:59:32 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
$0
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 09:41:31 PM »
The talk about Jeopardy ties had me thinking.

Has there ever been an episode of anything in which a grand total of nothing was given away? (Things like consolation gifts don't count)

Appreciated as always.

I'm guessing you mean flat footed zero ties where none of the players involved was a returning champion, right?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
$0
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 09:50:56 PM »
There were two three-way ties at $0 on Press Your Luck.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

J.R.

$0
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 09:51:56 PM »
I'm guessing you mean flat footed zero ties where none of the players involved was a returning champion, right?
I mean just flat out nothing, ties or not.

Hope that clears it up a bit.
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
$0
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:52:50 PM »
Has there ever been an episode of anything in which a grand total of nothing was given away?
Several episodes of Street Smarts ended in a 0-0 tie.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
$0
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 10:01:56 PM »
There were two three-way ties at $0 on Press Your Luck.

-Jason

And at least one instance where a champ won $0 because the other opponents whammied out.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

$0
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 10:13:01 PM »
Like lots of questions of this type, it's not as simple as it sounds.

Consider Debt, for example.  Losing players got savings bonds of $200 and $500 respectively.  The winner played to get his entire "debt" of a few thousand eliminated, but then played "Bet Your Debt" for double or nothing.  "Nothing" still meant a $1000 or $1500 savings bond, but all those savings bonds could be considered consolation prizes.  So there could have been plenty of times where "nothing" was won as you're defining it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

WilliamPorygon

$0
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 12:08:57 AM »
As for J! itself, the second Trebek episode ended with everyone betting it all on Final Jeopardy and missing.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 12:09:16 AM by WilliamPorygon »

Jay Temple

$0
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 12:18:42 AM »
On freakin' Studs, each of the three women decided in advance which guy she'd like to go out with again, if either. If I remember it precisely, the two ways for a guy to win were: (1) He scores more matches and the woman he chooses also chose him, or (2) He loses, but the winner fails on method (1), and his chosen women does choose him. I know I saw a game where neither man won. It was possible to go through the entire game and find out at the end that neither woman wanted to go out with either man again; i.e., there was never even a possibility of a winner.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

That Don Guy

$0
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 12:59:21 AM »
There were two (that I know of) episodes of The Gong Show where all of the eligible acts were either gonged or interrupted for some reason (in one case, it was during the show's last week, so they had a lot of returning acts, including "The Worm"), so nobody won the prize.

There was one tournament episode of Jeopardy! - in the last seniors tournament, I think - where none of the players had a positive score at the end of Double Jeopardy, so they didn't even bother with the FJ question (the three players got whatever they paid first-round tournament losers back then - $1000, I think - but technically that was a consolation prize).

Those are the "definite" ones I can think of off the top of my head.  I can think of some "possible" ones:

It's possible that a couple on The Moneymaze won zero - at least one couple lost all of the first three rounds but ended up winning the game, and they could have won zero in the $10,000 Dash.

I assume a number of episodes of GSN's Friend or Foe had everybody saying "foe" so nobody won anything?

Steve Gavazzi

$0
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 01:02:55 AM »
There was one tournament episode of Jeopardy! - in the last seniors tournament, I think - where none of the players had a positive score at the end of Double Jeopardy, so they didn't even bother with the FJ question (the three players got whatever they paid first-round tournament losers back then - $1000, I think - but technically that was a consolation prize).
So how did they fill the time at the end of the show?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
$0
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 01:30:24 AM »
So how did they fill the time at the end of the show?
Musical guest.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

$0
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 10:18:51 AM »
There were two three-way ties at $0 on Press Your Luck

There was also a show where two players tied with $0 and the other whammied out; plus at least one other where two players whammied out and the third was left with $0.

The three-way $0 tie also happened at least once on Second Chance, as evidenced by a recently turned-up audio only episode.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Kevin Prather

$0
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 03:48:39 PM »
Seems to me a 3-way tie at zero on PYL would be above and beyond relevant to the OP. No cash awarded, and since everyone's returning, no parting gifts on that particular episode.

EDIT: Travis corrects me by way of Bob Harris. Evidently, you get your Lovely Parting Gifts on a per episode basis.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 03:54:33 PM by Kevin Prather »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
$0
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 05:19:27 PM »
There were two (that I know of) episodes of The Gong Show where all of the eligible acts were either gonged or interrupted for some reason (in one case, it was during the show's last week, so they had a lot of returning acts, including "The Worm"), so nobody won the prize.
The other was in the last show of the second Steve Martin week in 1977, but in that instance the "Worst Act of the Week" (later to become the "Most Outrageous Act of the Week") was from that episode, so $516.32 was given away.  (They stopped that award in early 1978.)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)