Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2012-13 syndication  (Read 13636 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
2012-13 syndication
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2012, 06:44:12 PM »
Have to remember, none of this stuff happens in a vacuum.  It's never as simple as step A led to step B.  As much as Letterman's CBS ascension was a probable cause, so too was -- of all things -- The Chevy Chase Show.  That catastrophic failure was nevertheless a FOX network show, and FOX demanded that its affiliates make room for it.  I bet that Arsenio had more FOX stations than CBS ones, and Chevy's show -- by its very existence -- might have done more damage than Dave's.

Oh yeah.

From what I got, though, it seemed like it was an equal mix of both- I did a lot of the research for the show's Wiki page and from my gathering that's what I found.

Arsenio was on at least one O&O for CBS...wonder if any others had him.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

tvwxman

2012-13 syndication
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2012, 06:58:14 PM »
Bill Carter's "The Late Shift" is the best, most accurate history on this subject. If you're a TV fan, read....and enjoy.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
2012-13 syndication
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2012, 07:05:06 PM »
Bill Carter's "The Late Shift" is the best, most accurate history on this subject. If you're a TV fan, read....and enjoy.
God, I'd love to. Who do I have to blow to get that thing on a Kindle?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Bryce L.

2012-13 syndication
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2012, 07:46:35 PM »
It sounds as though it's not very easy to stay on the air once you're there... how hard is it for a new show to get picked up to begin with, and then is it difficult for a new series to gain a foothold in the ratings?

tvwxman

2012-13 syndication
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2012, 10:13:32 PM »
Sadly, It's me.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

2012-13 syndication
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2012, 10:22:04 PM »
Sadly, It's me.
Alright, well, if that's what it's gonna take, let's get this over with...

trainman

2012-13 syndication
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 10:43:29 PM »
[quote name='Strikerz04']Jeopardy and Inside Edition (in Chicago at least) will be pushed back an hour. [/quote]

Pushed back to the 4:00 hour, or, uh, pulled forward to the 2:00 hour?

You have something against reading the old-fashioned way?  Presumably you could borrow a dead-tree version through a library near you -- for example, I just checked, and the L.A. public library system still has 9 copies.
trainman is a man of trains

jjman920

• Mhoops.
2012-13 syndication
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2012, 12:09:35 AM »
Have any announcements been made yet as to where J! and Wheel will air in the cities whose Scripps affiliates dropped them? I've been seeing promos for Katie and The Steve Harvey Show on the channels where they will be airing, so I wasn't sure if they'd be rolling out announcement regarding two of the biggest syndicated programs.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

clemon79

2012-13 syndication
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2012, 01:00:32 AM »
You have something against reading the old-fashioned way?  Presumably you could borrow a dead-tree version through a library near you -- for example, I just checked, and the L.A. public library system still has 9 copies.
Well, I'd like to own it, but I don't buy print books anymore. And there's no reason it *shouldn't* be digitized.

Point about the library is well-taken, though, let me look....nope. King County Library System fails me. I can watch the HBO movie, but they do not have the book.

Jeremy Nelson

2012-13 syndication
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2012, 09:18:18 AM »
[quote name='Strikerz04']Jeopardy and Inside Edition (in Chicago at least) will be pushed back an hour.

[/quote]
I would assume it's to 4...otherwise that would more than likely make the Chicago airing of Jeopardy the earliest in the country...if it already isn't.

Inside Edition and jeopardy have owned that hour in Chicago for a very long time..probably since the former started its run. WLS must have a lot of faith in Katie if they're shaking up their afternoon lineup like that....or those two shows haven't been performing as of late in that hour slot.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Neumms

2012-13 syndication
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2012, 08:11:16 PM »
Inside Edition and jeopardy have owned that hour in Chicago for a very long time..probably since the former started its run. WLS must have a lot of faith in Katie if they're shaking up their afternoon lineup like that....or those two shows haven't been performing as of late in that hour slot.

Or ABC owns the station and part of the show.

PYLdude

2012-13 syndication
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2012, 08:13:56 PM »
I would assume it's to 4...otherwise that would more than likely make the Chicago airing of Jeopardy the earliest in the country...if it already isn't.

It isn't. There's at least one or two stations that air Jeopardy! in the morning.

Which means precisely jack squat, because if WLS wanted to I'm sure they could pre-empt the slot with the Jeopardy!/Inside Edition Hour and move Couric to the morning- I don't know what's airing in the Oprah spot now, but that's where I'd figure it would go were they so inclined to do it.

(Example: WABC's pre-emption of Port Charles to bring Millionaire over after WCBS dumped it. Granted Port Charles wasn't exactly the ratings draw, but still, that's an O&O preempting a network show that the network has a stake in, isn't it?)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:17:41 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Jimmy Owen

2012-13 syndication
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2012, 09:27:24 PM »

It isn't. There's at least one or two stations that air Jeopardy! in the morning.

Which means precisely jack squat, because if WLS wanted to I'm sure they could pre-empt the slot with the Jeopardy!/Inside Edition Hour and move Couric to the morning- I don't know what's airing in the Oprah spot now, but that's where I'd figure it would go were they so inclined to do it.

(Example: WABC's pre-emption of Port Charles to bring Millionaire over after WCBS dumped it. Granted Port Charles wasn't exactly the ratings draw, but still, that's an O&O preempting a network show that the network has a stake in, isn't it?)
From what I understand, the Couric show will be live, so if it were placed in the morning it would be a recording from the previous day.  ABC wouldn't let WLS do that.  The old Oprah morning slot on WLS is occupied by a local talk/service show.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
2012-13 syndication
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2012, 10:24:41 PM »
[quote name='Strikerz04']Jeopardy and Inside Edition (in Chicago at least) will be pushed back an hour.

[/quote]

It would help if I said that it'd be pulled forward to 2pm.

PYLdude

2012-13 syndication
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2012, 10:30:55 PM »

From what I understand, the Couric show will be live, so if it were placed in the morning it would be a recording from the previous day.  ABC wouldn't let WLS do that.  The old Oprah morning slot on WLS is occupied by a local talk/service show.

I don't know where you got that from- "Katie" is going to be syndicated and air in various timeslots around the country, so how is it going to be live? WLS could basically do whatever they want with the show if they wanted to because it's not an ABC network program.

And if it would have become that much of a problem, ABC could simply move it to any of the other Chicago stations, couldn't it?

In the meantime, adding: Jeff Probst is replacing Nate Berkus on WNBC in New York, Ricki Lake is replacing Anderson Cooper on WPIX, and Anderson Cooper is moving to WNYW- don't know who he's displacing, although I'm willing to bet it's going to be Dr. Oz- he's on in a double run and his normal timeslot serves as the lead-in for the 5 PM news and it does well. (Unless, of course, Fox 5 decides to dump one of the court shows it airs.)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:36:10 PM by PYLdude »