Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Pyramid  (Read 68217 times)

Matt Ottinger

The Pyramid
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 01:27:33 PM »
(Offhand, I can't name a traditional studio-based game show that *didn't* have a shiny floor.)
Unless I'm missing a chunk of the conversation (which is entirely possible), there are any number of atrocious sets from the seventies that used carpeted floors.  I don't recall having ever heard the term "shiny floor games" when talking to people in the business, but it doesn't strike me as being anything more than amusing industry shorthand.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BillCullen1

The Pyramid
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 01:31:55 PM »
And with Mike Richards behind the podium. Which is a shame, because it means a bunch of people won't give the show a chance.

/not one of those people

It's an interesting choice to be sure, and one I probably wouldn't have thought of (many host choices nowadays are, seeing as there's no longer a big dedicated pool for game show hosts).  But Mosher's report said he did a good job.  Plus I don't have the prejudice certain people have against him, as I still like TPIR and LMAD and don't always see all the fuss those certain people seem to have.

/He couldn't be another John Davidson, at least...could he????

Let's cross our fingers and hope not. I'm willing to watch a few eps of this before passing judgment. I don't remember the last time I was this excited about the debut of a GSN original.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 01:32:30 PM by BillCullen1 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Pyramid
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2012, 01:39:21 PM »
I don't recall having ever heard the term "shiny floor games" when talking to people in the business,
I'm still entertaining the possibility that it's an inside joke to fark with newbies, and that shortly after dropping the term they send someone out on a snipe hunt.

Going back to my earlier comments: a picture of Mike smiling behind his Pyramid podium was posted to a $100,000 Pyramid FB group (I assume there are a few, but it's the one I'm on) this morning. The comments started RIGHT IN on how The Asshole Who Ruined TPiR is going to render the show unwatchable and OMG He Clearly Doesn't Even Want To Be There. (Again, a static picture of a guy smiling behind a podium with no context at all of what the picture was originally taken for.)

I hate being right sometimes.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 01:39:34 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JMFabiano

The Pyramid
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 02:27:27 PM »
Traditional game shows are now known as "shiny floor games". What's next, calling oldies stations "Classic Hits"?

/Oh, no, wait....

And implying that said pop music began in 1964?  Impossible!  

Next, you'll tell me they'll call pro wrestling "sports entertainment."  Ha!
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

JMFabiano

The Pyramid
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2012, 02:35:45 PM »
I don't recall having ever heard the term "shiny floor games" when talking to people in the business,
I'm still entertaining the possibility that it's an inside joke to fark with newbies, and that shortly after dropping the term they send someone out on a snipe hunt.

Going back to my earlier comments: a picture of Mike smiling behind his Pyramid podium was posted to a $100,000 Pyramid FB group (I assume there are a few, but it's the one I'm on) this morning. The comments started RIGHT IN on how The Asshole Who Ruined TPiR is going to render the show unwatchable and OMG He Clearly Doesn't Even Want To Be There. (Again, a static picture of a guy smiling behind a podium with no context at all of what the picture was originally taken for.)

I saw said picture...I didn't sense what the haters are claiming from it.  Hey, as long as he is a competent host, I don't care if he urinated on a picture of Bob Barker.  My worry, aside from the "unknown" factor, is, as I said before, Dick Clark is fresh in our minds with his passing, so TPIR or not there will be another set of people who won't give him a chance if he doesn't deliver something at least mildly resembling Clark's style.  

And I still don't get how he "ruined" TPIR.  Aside from the "variety show" fetish.  The basics are still there.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 02:50:55 PM by JMFabiano »

TimK2003

The Pyramid
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2012, 03:16:41 PM »
"Shiny floor games" ranks right up there with "flyover country" as an elitist description.

And I thought "Shiny Floor Games" were those that had the Johnson Wax Co. as one of the prize sponsors.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Pyramid
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2012, 03:36:04 PM »
I saw said picture...I didn't sense what the haters are claiming from it.
Of course you didn't, because you are capable of sensible thought.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The Pyramid
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2012, 03:46:43 PM »
Of course you didn't, because you are capable of sensible thought.\
Funny, that, because when he typed the phrase "urinated on a picture of Bob Barker" I lost all credulity. (Really, there wasn't a single way in the English language that would have communicated the thought without the strange and unnecessary imagery?)

He might have made a terrific point after the fact, but I had checked out.
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

The Pyramid
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2012, 05:20:57 PM »
I wonder if they're avoiding the term "game show" out a fear the public associates the term with "Wink Martindale in a plaid suit with chintzy production values" kind of production?
-Joe Raygor

jjman920

• Mhoops.
The Pyramid
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2012, 05:40:35 PM »

That's a shame. It really is. There's always rotten apples in a tree.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

BrandonFG

The Pyramid
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2012, 05:49:02 PM »
I wonder if they're avoiding the term "game show" out a fear the public associates the term with "Wink Martindale in a plaid suit with chintzy production values" kind of production?
That's my theory too, along with the fear of scaring away advertisers b/c game shows supposedly skew older audiences. Same reason the equally insipid "reality show" has become the buzzterm.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
The Pyramid
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2012, 06:08:01 PM »
the fear of scaring away advertisers b/c game shows supposedly skew older audiences. Same reason the equally insipid "reality show" has become the buzzterm.
Nobody is fooling the advertisers. They know it's a shiny-floor game show (I prefer the term motorized-spotlight game show but whatever).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:09:42 PM by chris319 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
The Pyramid
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2012, 06:12:52 PM »
It's time now for the official Game Show Forum christening of the upcoming version of Pyramid:

[size="5"]Mikeymid[/size]

Do I read correctly that FremantleMedia is not involved with Pyramid in any way, shape or form?

JMFabiano

The Pyramid
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2012, 06:15:27 PM »
Thanks Lemon, and sorry Berle for me being so...graphic.

That's my theory too, along with the fear of scaring away advertisers b/c game shows supposedly skew older audiences. Same reason the equally insipid "reality show" has become the buzzterm.

Oh God, Vince McMahon is giving GSN advice!  It's like, we all know what the product is, giving it a new name does not change it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:19:49 PM by JMFabiano »

JMFabiano

The Pyramid
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2012, 06:23:26 PM »
It's time now for the official Game Show Forum christening of the upcoming version of Pyramid:

[size="5"]Mikeymid[/size]

Do I read correctly that FremantleMedia is not involved with Pyramid in any way, shape or form?

If it did, Rossi Moreale would host, and instead of $500 per perfect round, you first get Lots of Love, then hugs and kisses.  Get 21 and I'll leave it to your imaginations.