Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Pyramid  (Read 68237 times)

BrandonFG

The Pyramid
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 09:03:39 PM »
Plus I don't have the prejudice certain people have against him, as I still like TPIR and LMAD and don't always see all the fuss those certain people seem to have.
I don't think anyone makes a fuss as much as the show could be better produced without his micromanaging as much. That's all.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

snowpeck

The Pyramid
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 09:29:37 PM »
To me, the fact that he hosted five series of "Beauty and the Geek" and didn't make much of an impact doing that says something.

How many people even knew the show existed though? Or even the entire CW network for that matter.

I try not to judge books by their covers (or in this case press releases).  I'll be watching on September 3rd.  That said, if it's horrible, I won't be watching on September 4th... but I'll at least give it a chance.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

tvmitch

The Pyramid
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 10:04:03 PM »
This sentence from the press release is brutal:

THE PYRAMID joins the previously announced new shows on GSN this fall: THE AMERICAN BIBLE CHALLENGE and BEAT THE CHEFS, which are the first of GSN’s “Shiny Floor Game” category—contemporary studio-based game shows that focus on themes prevalent in pop culture.
Where to begin? An all-time classic format joins two lifestyle niche turds this fall. But they all have shiny floors!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:04:27 PM by tvmitch »
You should follow me on Twitter

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The Pyramid
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 10:05:36 PM »
“Shiny Floor Game”
Who came up with this?
Travis L. Eberle

jjman920

• Mhoops.
The Pyramid
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 10:23:29 PM »
Back to The Pyramid for a moment, GSN has made it official.  This highly anticipated version debuts Monday, September 3 at 6pm.
And with Mike Richards behind the podium. Which is a shame, because it means a bunch of people won't give the show a chance.

/not one of those people
That's not exactly true. From what I've seen, while their reaction was mixed, a good number of those bunch of people are willing to give this show a chance regardless of the host. I'm glad to see that.

Glad to see a premiere date. Now, the wait is on for a whole set shot or promo.

“Shiny Floor Game”
Who came up with this?
I'd say an executive's two year old niece, but I have no proof to back that up.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:24:43 PM by jjman920 »
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Pyramid
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 10:33:24 PM »
That's not exactly true.
Show me where "a number of people will write off the show because the person hosting it is Public Enemy Number One in the eyes of some folks" is in any way a false statement.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

The Pyramid
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 10:34:13 PM »
And with Mike Richards behind the podium. Which is a shame, because it means a bunch of people won't give the show a chance.

/not one of those people
That's not exactly true. From what I've seen, while their reaction was mixed, a good number of those bunch of people are willing to give this show a chance regardless of the host. I'm glad to see that.
That's certainly true, but there are quite a few people who won't watch because the host is "the asshole who ruined TPiR forEVER!!1!" That's an unfair shake, and I say that as someone who's not the biggest fan of Mike's changes.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

jjman920

• Mhoops.
The Pyramid
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 11:32:13 PM »
That's not exactly true.
Show me where "a number of people will write off the show because the person hosting it is Public Enemy Number One in the eyes of some folks" is in any way a false statement.
That's certainly true, but there are quite a few people who won't watch because the host is "the asshole who ruined TPiR forEVER!!1!" That's an unfair shake, and I say that as someone who's not the biggest fan of Mike's changes.
All I'm saying is that in the two threads about Pyramid, on the site in the epicenter of the Mike R. criticism, I saw one person say the show was going to be terrible because of Mike, and outside of that one person I don't really recall seeing one person say that they weren't going to watch because of Mike. I saw more than one person say they were going to give the show a shot. I certainly can't speak for the people who didn't reply in those threads, but I was pleased to see some of those posters who have been hard on Mike (and were, in fact hard on him in those very threads) still say they were going to give it a shot.

The statement can hold true and I agree with it, but I was surprised by the reaction. I think it has been such a long time waiting for a new Pyramid series that people just want to see it make it to air. They could've put Kathy* Griffin as the host and people would still tune in.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 11:35:54 PM by jjman920 »
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

itiparanoid13

The Pyramid
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 12:36:33 AM »
“Shiny Floor Game”
Who came up with this?

As idiotic as I thought it was, the second I started making fun of it I had a lot of TV producers and execs tell me that, internally, they've been called "shiny floor games" for years.  And right after that I saw it start to pop in in several releases and articles when describing studio-based shows.  It doesn't make it any less stupid.  I don't fully know why we just can't say "game show".  But it's not something they made up.  It's been used by idiots for a while.

BrandonFG

The Pyramid
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 09:02:14 AM »
It's only moderately better than calling it a "reality show". Is that supposed to be their way of differentiating b/w studio game and outdoor reality shows? If so, it's still idiotic.

gamed121683

The Pyramid
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 09:40:15 AM »
Traditional game shows are now known as "shiny floor games". What's next, calling oldies stations "Classic Hits"?

/Oh, no, wait....

DrBear

The Pyramid
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 09:54:40 AM »
"Shiny floor games" ranks right up there with "flyover country" as an elitist description.

What a pile of Shinola.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
The Pyramid
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 10:57:37 AM »
Shinola: Granola that's so good for you, you'll be able to see your colon wall.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

golden-road

The Pyramid
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 11:04:07 AM »
Shinola: Granola that's so good for you, you'll be able to see your colon wall.

Colon wall, the new obstacle on Wipeout.

Clay Zambo

The Pyramid
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 12:53:54 PM »
Is that supposed to be their way of differentiating b/w studio game and outdoor reality shows? If so, it's still idiotic.

I believe that's exactly it.  And I agree that it's silly.  But if it was internal jargon, I got no gripe.  Putting it out in the wild seems a little insulting, however accurate.  (Offhand, I can't name a traditional studio-based game show that *didn't* have a shiny floor.)
czambo@mac.com