Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Pyramid  (Read 68885 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Pyramid
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2012, 06:28:27 PM »
Funny, that, because when he typed the phrase "urinated on a picture of Bob Barker" I lost all credulity.
That part wasn't there at the time I replied.

/who in the hell is Berle?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The Pyramid
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
Get 21 and I'll leave it to your imaginations.
I think this is an outstanding time to point out that at one point before they became famous for the little gray box that ate free time by the shitton, that Nintendo was in the business of hotel rooms that you could rent by the hour.

And that's all I'm going to say about that. :)
Travis L. Eberle

Clay Zambo

The Pyramid
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2012, 08:02:30 PM »
(Offhand, I can't name a traditional studio-based game show that *didn't* have a shiny floor.)
Unless I'm missing a chunk of the conversation (which is entirely possible), there are any number of atrocious sets from the seventies that used carpeted floors.  I don't recall having ever heard the term "shiny floor games" when talking to people in the business, but it doesn't strike me as being anything more than supposedly amusing industry shorthand.

Fixed that for you.

As for carpeting, I thought about Match Game and Split Second right away, but noticed that in full-set shots there was always shiny floor present, too.

Anyway.  Doesn't sound like there'll be a bug eaten among these three new GSN originals, so they're already okay by me.
czambo@mac.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The Pyramid
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2012, 08:15:04 PM »
I think James doesn't get that it's T.L. Eberle, and not TLE Berle.
Travis L. Eberle

JMFabiano

The Pyramid
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2012, 08:31:48 PM »

What he said.  

Also wondering, can I still be considered sensible?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The Pyramid
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2012, 08:43:56 PM »
Anything's possible.

Given GSN's track record, you could at least say this time that they picked someone who actually has some hosting experience. Previous hosts include: Carrie Ann Inaba, Bill Engvall, Jerry Springer, Sherri Shepherd, Alfonzo Ribeiro, Corbin Bernsen, Patrick Duffy, Richard Karn.

Was Bob Goen not available? What about Todd Newton or Mark Walberg? Yes, they picked someone with a modicum of hosting experience. Mazel tov. Could they not have found someone with more, is what I'm asking.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
The Pyramid
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2012, 09:15:01 PM »
You're TLE Berle now.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
The Pyramid
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2012, 09:16:48 PM »
You're TLE Berle now.

But is pronounced "Berle" or "Burly"?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

The Pyramid
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2012, 09:18:09 PM »
Given GSN's track record, you could at least say this time that they picked someone who actually has some hosting experience. Previous hosts include: Carrie Ann Inaba, Bill Engvall, Jerry Springer, Sherri Shepherd, Alfonzo Ribeiro, Corbin Bernsen, Patrick Duffy, Richard Karn.

Was Bob Goen not available? What about Todd Newton or Mark Walberg? Yes, they picked someone with a modicum of hosting experience. Mazel tov. Could they not have found someone with more, is what I'm asking.
I wonder how much influence Michael Davies/ER had in the decision, and whether or not he wanted an 80s TV star for this show. Then again, Superman tried out for the CBS pilot, so who knows?

Bob, Todd, Mark would've been awesome; I also wonder would Todd have been too busy with Family Game Night?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:19:01 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The Pyramid
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2012, 09:20:54 PM »
But is pronounced "Berle" or "Burly"?
Early, like the kind of riser I ain't.
Travis L. Eberle

JMFabiano

The Pyramid
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2012, 09:25:04 PM »
Anything's possible.

Richard Karn did have some hosting experience before working for a GSN show...or do I have to DOUBLE YOUR MEMORY?  

But I see your point...comedian, talk show host, other well-known or formerly well-known (usually the latter) TV personality.  That's usually the norm nowadays for GS casting, actually.  Like I said before, the pool of dedicated game show hosts isn't nearly as big as it was in the '70s and '80s.  That or TV execs don't have enough faith in them before a "name."  

/Hey, didn't Mark Walberg host the dreaded '96 Pyramid pilot?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

DrBear

The Pyramid
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2012, 09:27:35 PM »
His close friends call TLEberle "MILTON"

OBGS: Milton Berle hosted Jackpot Bowling, a shiny alley show.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:28:11 PM by DrBear »
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
The Pyramid
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2012, 09:27:56 PM »
Anything's possible.

Richard Karn did have some hosting experience before working for a GSN show...or do I have to DOUBLE YOUR MEMORY?  

I think a lot of us are still trying to forget Flannel Feud too.

Springer as well qualifies as having hosting experience, what with his helming of the UK Greed.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

pds319

The Pyramid
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2012, 10:13:55 PM »
(Offhand, I can't name a traditional studio-based game show that *didn't* have a shiny floor.)
Unless I'm missing a chunk of the conversation (which is entirely possible), there are any number of atrocious sets from the seventies that used carpeted floors.  I don't recall having ever heard the term "shiny floor games" when talking to people in the business, but it doesn't strike me as being anything more than supposedly amusing industry shorthand.

Fixed that for you.

As for carpeting, I thought about Match Game and Split Second right away, but noticed that in full-set shots there was always shiny floor present, too.

Anyway.  Doesn't sound like there'll be a bug eaten among these three new GSN originals, so they're already okay by me.

70s Pyramid was pretty much carpeted front to back. The shiny floor was just under the carpeting so it makes sense, haha. :)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The Pyramid
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2012, 11:46:55 PM »
Yes he did have experience; but was it good experience.

I'd actually cast my lot with Springer first, given the talk show angle; you have to keep things moving, ad lib and adjust on the fly and always keep your cool.

(could we all chill down with the caps and pick italics, bold or underline? We do have 'em, y'know.)
Travis L. Eberle