Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the ¢entury press photos  (Read 25277 times)

ActualRetailMike

$ale of the ¢entury press photos
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2012, 08:44:47 PM »
Considering I haven't seen this set in about 40 years, when I used to watch this almost daily due to being in afternoon kindergarten, I just gotta say, WOW!!  And thank you.

You know how on the lower level, they have the name of the show on what appear to be vertical panels?  Were those rotating, vertical trilons, used to display a non-physical prize like a trip?  You used to see outdoor billboards like these that rotated 3 displays every few seconds, especially near airports.  Maybe that's why I had a game show deja vu when I used to see those billboards.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 09:16:08 PM »
Considering I haven't seen this set in about 40 years, when I used to watch this almost daily due to being in afternoon kindergarten, I just gotta say, WOW!!  And thank you.

You know how on the lower level, they have the name of the show on what appear to be vertical panels?  Were those rotating, vertical trilons, used to display a non-physical prize like a trip?  You used to see outdoor billboards like these that rotated 3 displays every few seconds, especially near airports.  Maybe that's why I had a game show deja vu when I used to see those billboards.

My guess is that those were blinds, similar to the doors on The All-New Let's Make a Deal.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

ActualRetailMike

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
I like how in the original version, it was a two-story set, with the bottom level (presumably) for the endgame.
That's correct; the lower level was where the endgame took place.  Though it wasn't really a "game" per se, because by that point, the game on the show had already been won.  The host walked the contestant down the stairs, and (at least as far as I remember) they were shown 3 or 4 different prizes.  Sometimes you could see part of the audience applauding next to the displayed prize, suggesting that space was tight there.  The only decision the contestant had to make was to pick which prize they wanted.  They were given "...30 seconds, to make up your mind".  We then heard this crazy rhythmic "think music", and every second a different prize was cued onscreen, in time with the music.  (Someone posted a link to a clip of this same music in this very group, though that one only lasted 10 seconds.) It seemed like every time, they picked the trip as their prize -- which confused me as a tyke; I'd have rather had "something" than to just travel somewhere and back, especially when one of the prizes included a model train set.  But I think they had to win the following episode to collect the prize they chose.  Hence the catchphrase: "You must come back and you must win."

When there was a champion on the show, I think they sat in the podium to the far right. At the start of the show, the champ had a circular label displaying their previous days winnings over the right side of their name light; the host always asked them to "put it down" (think of a mailbox flag) out of sight, before gameplay started.

About halfway through each show, there was a short game which I think involved 3 studio audience members.  You had 3 people behind podiums similar to the ones the regular players used.  The announcer would introduce each one followed by "today on it's contestants" (at least that's what I thought I heard him say ).  Details are sketchy, but my best recollection is that they got to bid on a prize, TPiR style, because the host specifically said "without going over".  It was not clear to me where on the stage this whole sequence took place.  Temporary podiums downstairs, perhaps?

SFQuizKid

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2012, 09:33:39 PM »
You're right; that's what that was.  Usually it was used for introducing trips or similar prizes that needed a visual.  

About the same time that Sale went to the couples set, Carson moved to Burbank and had a similar board behind the band on his set, later used on News 4 LA..  Wonder if it was the same one?

40onTheBlue

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2012, 09:51:50 PM »
ActualRetailMike, in the photo where a fur coat is offered as an instant bargain (image #14621540), two of the contestants have a little number 3 in front of them. Do you remember was that was for?
Greetings from Canada.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2012, 09:57:35 PM »
But I think they had to win the following episode to collect the prize they chose.  Hence the catchphrase: "You must come back and you must win."
I've never seen the show, but based on the home game rules I would guess that they could buy that prize at the given bargain price if they had won enough money on the show to do so. However, if the home game's average daily winnings-to-average bargain price ratio are similar to those on the show, a contestant would almost never win enough on one show to buy a prize. Thus, he would have to return and win to have a chance to buy it with his combined winnings.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 10:23:34 PM »
Major caption error on this one: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/pictured-unknown-with-host-peter-marshall-photo-by-ron-tom-news-photo/140899565
Yeah, when you get one that wrong you suddenly start questioning the details on any of them.

BTW, how many of us can identify all five of the faces in that picture?  (I admit I don't recognize the girl.)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 10:23:44 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SFQuizKid

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2012, 10:29:20 PM »
Major caption error on this one: http://www.gettyimag...photo/140899565
Yeah, when you get one that wrong you suddenly start questioning the details on any of them.

BTW, how many of us can identify all five of the faces in that picture?  (I admit I don't recognize the girl.)

Hosts: John Bauman and Gene Rayburn
Visible Panelists: Jimmie Walker (top), Skip Stephenson (bottom)
"The Girl": Twyla Littleton.  She has an IMDB credit for the MGHS Hour.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2012, 10:29:30 PM »
Congratulations to Jon Bauman, some shlub couldn't be bothered to do a bit of research to find out who you were.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2012, 10:51:19 PM »
"The Girl": Twyla Littleton.  She has an IMDB credit for the MGHS Hour.
Oh, I remember Twyla.  I was a twenty-something single guy when she was playing "girl in bikini" in every TV series that found itself needing a girl in a bikini. I just couldn't make out her nameplate.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SFQuizKid

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2012, 01:21:29 AM »
If you're searching all over Getty Images, don't forget to check out Corbis as well: http://www.corbisimages.com.  Some duplicates, but also some unique pictures as well.

geno57

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2012, 02:38:55 AM »
pictures from "Snap Judgement" I don't think we've seen up as well, several in color.  NBC must just be making these available.

I'm liking the "Snap Judgment" pics.  Although I watched the show as often as I could "back in the day", I haven't seen much of it since.

I do have Ed McMahon's autograph, though, on the SJ page of my EoTVGS.

geno57

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2012, 03:25:25 AM »
I have no clue, as to how Getty Images works.  Obviously, we're not buying photographic prints.  But it also looks as though we wouldn't be allowed to purchase and download images, and then put them up on, say, Facebook.

Anyone know?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2012, 03:50:36 AM »
Anyone know?
Getty and Corbis license their images for commercial use. They do not sell the rights or the pictures, full stop. If you want to use the image for some commercial purpose (or on your website or something) you pay them money and you are then licensed to do so for a certain amount of time, and they will want to know what you plan to use the image for so they can sell you the proper license. I would further guess that in said license, redistribution of the image (say, uploading it to Facebook) would be way verboten.

"Okay, so say I uploaded the image to my website, under license, and people grabbed it from there? Surely I can't stop that, can I?" Well, no. But rest assured they are watermarked to hell and back, and if someone grabs it and tries to use it for commercial purposes down the road, they will be able to tell that a) they're using it illegally and b) who they got it from.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe