Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the ¢entury press photos  (Read 25084 times)

SuperMatch93

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 10:41:35 PM by SuperMatch93 »
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

$ale of the ¢entury press photos
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 10:47:44 PM »
That sound you heard was me fainting just a few minutes ago.

Awesome find! This is prolly one of my favorite threads in 9 years.

/Low standards?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 10:59:43 PM »
Mmkay, so interesting thing here.

Somewhere around here I have a paperback copy of Joe's (ghost-written by his daughter (in-law?)) autobiography, It's Anybody's Ballgame. And like most books of this type, all of the photos are gathered in a section in the middle of the book. And one of them shows Joe behind his SotC podium...but it's the one from what you guys are calling the "Jack Kelly set". So I suspect there was some overlap between Joe's tenure and the set change.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:01:37 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 12:04:22 AM »
How very late '60s.

J.R.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 12:38:20 AM »
Great pictures. Thank you for posting, SuperMatch.
-Joe Raygor

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 01:28:01 AM »
I like how in the original version, it was a two-story set, with the bottom level (presumably) for the endgame. I guess it was because of the studio space in New York City, as opposed to Burbank, CA.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 09:12:17 AM »
I like how in the original version, it was a two-story set, with the bottom level (presumably) for the endgame. I guess it was because of the studio space in New York City, as opposed to Burbank, CA.

Was this the set that was allegedly chopped in half to make it into the freight elevator? Somehow, I'd think a set like that would've been a lot easier to pull off in Burbank.......even without having to travel up eight floors!

narzo

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 10:12:21 AM »
pictures from "Snap Judgement" I don't think we've seen up as well, several in color.  NBC must just be making these available.

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 10:19:25 AM »

Was this the set that was allegedly chopped in half to make it into the freight elevator? Somehow, I'd think a set like that would've been a lot easier to pull off in Burbank.......even without having to travel up eight floors!
That's the story I remember from the EOTVGS.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 10:40:38 AM »
Wow. I'd never seen anything related to this version outside of the home game. That two level set is very cool, and very 60s....I like it!
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Bob Zager

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 11:23:04 AM »
pictures from "Snap Judgement" I don't think we've seen up as well, several in color.  NBC must just be making these available.

I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if the B&W photos are from the pilot!  I believe that Betsy Palmer and Gene Rayburn were the guests on the premiere (according to EOTVGS), and from the color photo showing a backview of the game desk, there is a noticable difference, which is similar to how I'd recalled it looking.

I tried searching all kinds of game show titles, and found a good amount for shows like "Concentration," "Call My Bluff," and others.  Lots of nice photos!

Clay Zambo

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 11:49:36 AM »

That's the story I remember from the EOTVGS.

I thought it was a *car* that was sawn in half to bring it up the freight elevator.  The set would already have been in pieces for assembly in the studio.
czambo@mac.com

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 12:09:55 PM »
I thought it was a *car* that was sawn in half to bring it up the freight elevator.  The set would already have been in pieces for assembly in the studio.

Yeah, that sounds right.

joker316

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 12:28:15 PM »
Mmkay, so interesting thing here.

Somewhere around here I have a paperback copy of Joe's (ghost-written by his daughter (in-law?)) autobiography, It's Anybody's Ballgame. And like most books of this type, all of the photos are gathered in a section in the middle of the book. And one of them shows Joe behind his SotC podium...but it's the one from what you guys are calling the "Jack Kelly set". So I suspect there was some overlap between Joe's tenure and the set change.
Yes, there was overlap. IIRC it was several months before the change from 3 players to 2 married couples.
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 12:41:46 PM »
one of them shows Joe behind his SotC podium...but it's the one from what you guys are calling the "Jack Kelly set". So I suspect there was some overlap between Joe's tenure and the set change.
Yes, there was overlap. IIRC it was several months before the change from 3 players to 2 married couples.
The EOTVGS explains it all.

Show debuted in September, 1969
Joe took over in August, 1971
Format changed in March, 1973
Show was cancelled in July, 1973
Show ran one season (with the couples format) in syndication in 73-74

So yeah, Joe ran the original format for a year and a half before the change, and then the couples format only lasted for four months on the network.

I have only the slightest childhood memory of the original series (one of the great Holy Grails among collectors).  I remember the syndicated show a little better.  In fact, had you asked me before this thread started, I would have assumed that the couples format originated with the syndicated show.  I seem to remember that the syndicated version's game ended with five twenty-point toss-ups (maybe called the Century Round?) that Joe would introduce with much fanfare ("I hold in my hand the last five questions of the game..."  Something like that.)

The Getty Images site is a wonderful resource for old game show pictures.  Thanks for pointing out the Sale ones.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.