Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most Outstanding Game Show Host  (Read 4075 times)

Winkfan

Most Outstanding Game Show Host
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:07:04 PM »
With the Daytime Emmy Awards coming up this Saturday, here's something to wonder about. Who do you think was the Most Outstanding game show host that has NEVER been nominated for the coveted honor?

I, myself, would be tempted to say the Winkster, but that's too obvious. So I'm gonna go with my 'gut instinct' and say Jim Peck. You could argue that the shows he got didn't last long, or weren't that good; but it's not just how popular a show is/was, but how good a job the host does that should make a difference.

Cordially,
Tammy

P.S. Don't say I didn't warn you.....
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:11:13 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

J.R.

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:18:24 PM »
Rolf Benirschke.
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:20:33 PM »
With the Daytime Emmy Awards coming up this Saturday, here's something to wonder about. Who do you think was the Most Outstanding game show host that has NEVER been nominated for the coverted honor?
It would certainly be easier to play the game if I had an idea of who has been nominated?
Travis L. Eberle

jmangin

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 09:24:06 AM »
I scanned through the Wikipedia articles of ceremonies and noticed that in some years, the following people were listed as dual nominees for the same show:

Dick Clark/Bill Cullen ($20k Pyramid, 1977/4th & 1978/5th)
Bob Barker/Tom Kennedy (TPIR, 1986/13th)
Vicki Lawrence/Bert Convy (WLOD, 1988/15th & 1989/16th)
Bob Goen/Pat Sajak (Wheel, 1990/17th)
Bob Barker/Doug Davidson (TPIR, 1995/22nd)

I wasn't able to find info on the official Emmy site to confirm. Were these people nominated in tandem with their counterpart from daytime/syndication (like Ben Stein and Kimmel/Pimental/Iacono were for Win Ben Stein's Money—although for WBSM both were hosting the same episode simultaneously), were they nominated separately (but listed on the same line by whomever edited the articles)...or is this just wiki bull?

(Based upon Doug Davidson being listed, the third one is my best guess...)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:47:22 AM »
Wiki bull.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 10:21:55 AM »
I scanned through the Wikipedia articles of ceremonies and noticed that in some years, the following people were listed as dual nominees for the same show:

I'd be curious where you found these, because in the obvious places, the nominee lists seem to be correct.  These are breathtakingly wrong.

To the original question, it appears that Tom Kennedy never got an Emmy nomination.  If that's true, I think he'd be the clear choice.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

jmangin

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 10:46:39 AM »

I'd be curious where you found these, because in the obvious places, the nominee lists seem to be correct.  These are breathtakingly wrong.

To the original question, it appears that Tom Kennedy never got an Emmy nomination.  If that's true, I think he'd be the clear choice.

Above are links to the Wikipedia articles added into my originally-quoted post. I didn't add the info to Wikipedia and wasn't claiming it was correct...I was just reporting what I had found and that I thought it was bull.

Looking at one article's history, the Doug Davidson addition was made in 2008 and has been in there since. The same editor appears to have made all the other erroneous edits in the same period during 2008.

Was Bob Goen ever nominated for Wheel, or Bert Convy for Win, Lose or Draw?

BillCullen1

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 11:39:53 AM »
I believe Bert Convy won for Tattletales, so he has one Emmy at least.

I've have to go with Jack Narz' younger bro if he never got one. As a backup, I'd go with the Winker.
BTW, was Rayburn ever nominated for Match Game?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 11:56:57 AM »
BTW, was Rayburn ever nominated for Match Game?
Thrice.  Never won.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
With the Daytime Emmy Awards coming up this Saturday, here's something to wonder about. Who do you think was the Most Outstanding game show host that has NEVER been nominated for the coverted honor?

I, myself, would be tempted to say the Winkster, but that's too obvious. So I'm gonna go with my 'gut instinct' and say Jim Peck. You could argue that the shows he got didn't last long, or weren't that good; but it's not just how popular a show is/was, but how good a job the host does that should make a difference.

Cordially,
Tammy

P.S. Don't say I didn't warn you.....
I thought Jim did an outstanding job on "The Big Showdown," but with 25 or so other shows and hosts that year, there was no chance for a nom.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

gameshowcrazy

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 04:16:10 PM »
Since I don't know the list, if Jim Perry was never nominated, he should've been for either Card Sharks or SOTC--did a great job on both.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 05:13:10 PM »
I'll throw in someone who was underrated.  Bill Rafferty.  He did a great job on Every Second Counts, Card Sharks, and Blockbusters.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 05:22:49 PM »
I'll throw in someone who was underrated.  Bill Rafferty.  He did a great job on Every Second Counts, Card Sharks, and Blockbusters.
If he was more highly rated, wouldn't he have gotten more gigs, either with more production companies, or more gigs within MG/BT?
Travis L. Eberle

BillCullen1

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 09:40:01 PM »
If he was more highly rated, wouldn't he have gotten more gigs, either with more production companies, or more gigs within MG/BT?

Rafferty got into the game show hosting gig when they started to disappear, which isn't his fault. I always thought Rafferty would have been better than Ray Combs for Family Feud, but that's a topic for a whole different thread.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 07:01:27 AM »
How many shows did Goodson-Todman release after the fall of 1987?  The only one that comes to mind is Match Game.
--Mark
Phil 4:13