Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password Plus  (Read 11010 times)

14gameshows

Password Plus
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 11:08:27 PM »
Was NBC that bad off around 1982 or something??

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Password Plus
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 11:12:04 PM »

I would say so, considering their daytime ratings were in the toilet for a couple years prior (it seemed only Wheel was pulling its weight at the time) and their primetime lineup was just pitiful- a dying Little House and CHiPs?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

Password Plus
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 11:22:15 PM »

I would say so, considering their daytime ratings were in the toilet for a couple years prior (it seemed only Wheel was pulling its weight at the time) and their primetime lineup was just pitiful- a dying Little House and CHiPs?
They had a couple of successful sitcoms with Diff'rent Strokes and The Facts of Life. But other than that, NBC was in a position similar to where they are now.

Interesting to note that NBC didn't have a single Top 20 show in the 1981-82 season.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Password Plus
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 11:23:29 PM »
When BATTLESTARS and BLOCKBUSTERS were cancelled (P+ had been canned a month earlier), essentially it was CHiPs reruns that replaced them (WoF took BB's slot and TEXAS moved from 3PM ET to 11AM ET).  FANTASY ended up replacing the CHiPs reruns.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Password Plus
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 04:34:10 AM »
Unless you can cite a source who worked there before I was hired, I can neither vouch for the Carol Burnett story nor the theory that Steve Ryan created the format. To the best of my knowledge Bobby Sherman created the format which was inspired by The Cross-Wits. The only office run-through I'm aware of was videotaped and featured Linda Kaye Henning and Richard Paul. What I can vouch for is that there was a record store called Music Plus on Vine street which was plainly visible from the P+ offices and which had a large plus sign on the storefront, just like the large plus sign used on the show. You don't suppose that's more than mere coincidence, do you?

The show continued for about a year and a half after Allen passed away, which blows the theory that his passing was a contributing factor to its cancellation.

To answer a question from another thread, the reason the chairs on the set were placed on tracks is that originally Ted Cooper intended to use motorized chairs and contestants would enter and exit through openings in the rear set wall on these motorized chairs. This bit of cruft is 100% untrue -- it is a story I just made up -- but I want to see how long it takes before some obsessed Ritalin-deprived fanb0i posts it somewhere as a true fact.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:28:03 AM by chris319 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Password Plus
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2012, 01:57:09 PM »
To answer a question from another thread, the reason the chairs on the set were placed on tracks is that originally Ted Cooper intended to use motorized chairs and contestants would enter and exit through openings in the rear set wall on these motorized chairs. This bit of cruft is 100% untrue -- it is a story I just made up -- but I want to see how long it takes before some obsessed Ritalin-deprived fanb0i posts it somewhere as a true fact.
That would actually be awesome in its WTF-cheesiness. :)

/including the disclaimer to see if some yahoo *still* posts it as fact
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Password Plus
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 03:21:10 PM »
Or some smartass who does it to see if someone will come back in 6 months quoting it from Wiki...

/Don't look at me
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

Password Plus
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 01:02:37 AM »

My good friend Mitt Dawson verified it for me that it is true. ;)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Password Plus
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 01:16:56 AM »
My good friend Mitt Dawson verified it for me that it is true. ;)
Fun fact: "Mitt Dawson" is German for "with Dawson."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DrBear

Password Plus
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 01:38:28 AM »
The password is "bowling buddy."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Jimmy Owen

Password Plus
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 10:04:28 AM »
Or some smartass who does it to see if someone will come back in 6 months quoting it from Wiki...

/Don't look at me
I never believe anything on the internet unless it is verified by two sources:  Yahoo and Wiki.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:05:24 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Password Plus
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 12:52:47 PM »
I never believe anything on the internet unless it is verified by two sources: Yahoo and Wiki.
Well there's no shortage of Yahoos. We all know that if it's in Wikipedia it must be true.