Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of fortune mechanical puzzleboard?  (Read 19577 times)

Matt Ottinger

Wheel of fortune mechanical puzzleboard?
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2012, 11:20:04 PM »
I know that. But when it's nothing but *buzz* "Sorry, no [letter]" for 10 turns in a row, doesn't that get a little repetitive?
It's not like that was routine, and an occasional wrench in the proceedings can be entertaining, as Gilbert Gottfried could attest.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2012, 11:43:21 PM »
To say the current bonus round lacks tension is a bit of a misnomer, but the point was made elsewhere - winning the bonus round now is absolutely knowing you have $30,000 in your hands. That can take the zing out of an otherwise big win if it were another show. They're still happy when they solve - but the way the show's structured, there's a part two to your winning reaction. And when you see (and know for a fact it is) the minimum, I can understand some people not pouring it on extra.

-Jason
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:53:02 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2012, 05:24:57 PM »
To say the current bonus round lacks tension is a bit of a misnomer, but the point was made elsewhere - winning the bonus round now is absolutely knowing you have $30,000 in your hands. That can take the zing out of an otherwise big win if it were another show. They're still happy when they solve - but the way the show's structured, there's a part two to your winning reaction. And when you see (and know for a fact it is) the minimum, I can understand some people not pouring it on extra.

-Jason
I don't think there's another way to make the bonus round as is more exciting. It just is what it is.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:25:46 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2012, 06:19:11 PM »
The excitement/tension/suspense is not (so much) what the contestant will win (except for two cases), it is "will the contestant win anything at all?" And that E/T/S comes about a minute earlier.
Travis L. Eberle

Casey

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2012, 05:59:17 PM »

-Jason
I don't think there's another way to make the bonus round as is more exciting. It just is what it is.

Why not reveal what is in the envelope before working on the puzzle?  It used to be that the contestant chose the bonus prize before the round started and you knew what was at stake.  If I know the contestant has a chance to win or lose $1 million on the puzzle they are about to attempt would make it way more exciting to me than just seeing confetti after it is over...

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2012, 06:47:05 PM »
Why not reveal what is in the envelope before working on the puzzle?
Agreed, that would fix any perceived problem with how they're doing it now. It would be a shock to some people's system after doing the envelope afterwards for so long, but it wouldn't fundamentally change anything.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2012, 06:55:39 PM »
If I know the contestant has a chance to win or lose $1 million on the puzzle they are about to attempt would make it way more exciting to me than just seeing confetti after it is over...
And really, it's all about you.

Actually, as the viewer, I suppose that's true to an extent. But I also don't want those contestants up there crapping themselves and freezing up as they suddenly discover they are solving a puzzle for ONE MILLION DAMN DOLLARS, nor am I interested in that way extended moment of schadenfreude if they should fail. (And I realize there are people reading this who *are* interested in that moment, they know who they are, and to them I say: go screw yourselves.) I further do not want the moment that is going to happen the majority of the time where we discover that the contestant is playing for the minimum amount and all of the air is let out of the tires before we even see the puzzle.

Nope. There are way too many things that can go wrong, whereas you neatly dodge all of that the way it works now. Maybe at the expense of a little drama once in every, what is it, 24, 36 shows or so where they hit the Big One on the wheel, be it worth $100K or ONE MILLION DAMN DOLLARS, but over the long haul I would rather surrender a little drama for better gameplay (and better television) overall.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2012, 02:17:31 AM »
Actually, as the viewer, I suppose that's true to an extent. But I also don't want those contestants up there crapping themselves and freezing up as they suddenly discover they are solving a puzzle for ONE MILLION DAMN DOLLARS, nor am I interested in that way extended moment of schadenfreude if they should fail. (And I realize there are people reading this who *are* interested in that moment, they know who they are, and to them I say: go screw yourselves.) I further do not want the moment that is going to happen the majority of the time where we discover that the contestant is playing for the minimum amount and all of the air is let out of the tires before we even see the puzzle.
Which is interesting, because that's exactly how Australia did it, whether the top prize was a midsize sedan, $200,000 or a million damn dollars.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2012, 02:20:48 AM »
or a million damn dollars.
Did anyone actually face a puzzle for One Million Damn Dollars? (For $200K, for that matter?)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2012, 02:24:19 AM »
Which is interesting, because that's exactly how Australia did it, whether the top prize was a midsize sedan, $200,000 or a million damn dollars.

And in two months, it rode the clockwise swirl. May not be best example.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jay Temple

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2012, 02:45:56 AM »
Back when they just had the five envelopes and one of the prizes was often a travel package, they might have saved the reveal to avoid this happening:

PAT: Choose an envelope.
JIM: I'll take the "W".
PAT: (opens it) You'll be trying for the world cruise.
JIM: Forget it. I'm just gonna decline it if I win anyway.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2012, 02:53:20 AM »
A Mitsubishi Colt isn't a million damn dollars, but it was the star prize on the wheel, and it was spun a few times, and won some times. Tension and excitement were there.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2012, 03:01:21 AM »
A Mitsubishi Colt isn't a million damn dollars, but it was the star prize on the wheel, and it was spun a few times, and won some times. Tension and excitement were there.

They still make that thing? Although I'll assume it's not the same kind of vehicle they sold in the United States for a period of years in the mid-to-late '80s.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2012, 03:01:45 AM »
Except you just made the salient point yourself: a Mitsubishi Colt is NOT One Million Damn Dollars. Nor is it 200,000 Damn Dollars.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2012, 03:09:33 AM »
They still make that thing? Although I'll assume it's not the same kind of vehicle they sold in the United States for a period of years in the mid-to-late '80s.
I think it's the Aussie name for the Mirage.
Travis L. Eberle