Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of fortune mechanical puzzleboard?  (Read 19571 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Wheel of fortune mechanical puzzleboard?
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 10:13:41 PM »
The Price is Right hasn't changed as much as wheel.  They have changed hosts , announcers , pricing games , and the set yet they still play the game the same way as in 1972.
No they don't.   There was no showcase showdown in 1972.  I look forward to your next post in eight months so we can do this again.

You know, out of all the points of Mr. hig's to nitpick, that was the one that probably was best left alone. Because it's accurate except for ONE SMALL EFFING THING.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Unrealtor

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2012, 10:13:41 PM »
Quite honestly, I watched a Woolery episode and found it quite dull at times.
Here, let's have a grown-up discussion:

What exactly did you find dull about it? I find the episodes from the early days have a charm to them that the show of today can't match.

For me, the combination of a looser wheel, shorter puzzles, and light/no editing mean that a lot of time was eaten up while contestants kept spinning and guessing incorrect consonants. Sometimes, Chuck could get some humor out of that (ISTR one puzzle that was full of unlikely letters, something like "ANTIQUE JUKEBOX", that had him mocking the writing staff after the second or third time around the horn) but it could drag, as well.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 12:52:17 AM »
For me, the combination of a looser wheel, shorter puzzles, and light/no editing mean that a lot of time was eaten up while contestants kept spinning and guessing incorrect consonants. Sometimes, Chuck could get some humor out of that (ISTR one puzzle that was full of unlikely letters, something like "ANTIQUE JUKEBOX", that had him mocking the writing staff after the second or third time around the horn) but it could drag, as well.

Agreed. And most of this carried well into the Sajak era. Even as late as 1996, you were seeing things like DOGHOUSE as puzzles, so you'd get "Yes, one S. You only have $150, though, so spin again." followed by nine or ten dud letters in a row.
Bobby Peacock

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 07:25:19 AM »
I found the shopping to be deadly dull.  Glad they got rid of it.  Always watched CBS opposite WOF
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 11:57:11 AM »
Ahhh....but the reason for watching the shopping was to hear the neat Alan Thicke music cues in the background! :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2012, 11:58:46 AM »
The often subdued reactions from a contestant who just won $25,000 (let alone the $100K) leaves me underwhelmed.

That's because in a world of million-dollar prizes, does $25,000 still seem like a lot of money?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2012, 01:30:35 PM »
The often subdued reactions from a contestant who just won $25,000 (let alone the $100K) leaves me underwhelmed.

That's because in a world of million-dollar prizes, does $25,000 still seem like a lot of money?
True but if I were to win that, I'd still jump around a little bit. Besides, that doesn't stop TPiR contestants from going apesh*t at the Big Wheel. ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2012, 03:32:30 PM »

True but if I were to win that, I'd still jump around a little bit. Besides, that doesn't stop TPiR contestants from going apesh*t at the Big Wheel. ;-)
I would have to say that part of that comes from the atmosphere of each show. I dont ever feel like there's proper tension during the bonus puzzle; it's more like 60s Password where the bonus round feels more like "meh, it's a little extra, doesn't really matter if you win or lose". On Price, the audience is primed to get excited about anything and everything. When you're feeding off that excitement, winning $1,000 will make you do backflips.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2012, 04:24:10 PM »
I dont ever feel like there's proper tension during the bonus puzzle;
I thought they had it down pretty good back in the 80s when they dimmed the lights and played the drumroll.  Of course, that was a time where winning a semi-decent car was a big deal too.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2012, 05:34:19 PM »
I thought they had it down pretty good back in the 80s when they dimmed the lights and played the drumroll.  Of course, that was a time where winning a semi-decent car was a big deal too.
Jeremy brings up a good point but Mark sums up how I feel as well. Contestants still got a little excited towards the 90s if it was cash, a car or a trip.

Nowadays, the bonus round is just so ho-hum, but the difference is there was a little more suspense in that you could either get the money, a car, a trip, or the other two prize cards could be "duds" (i.e. the home entertainment center or jewelry). Now, you get $25K minimum, so the excitement is muddled.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2012, 09:33:26 PM »
Jeremy brings up a good point but Mark sums up how I feel as well. Contestants still got a little excited towards the 90s if it was cash, a car or a trip.

Nowadays, the bonus round is just so ho-hum, but the difference is there was a little more suspense in that you could either get the money, a car, a trip, or the other two prize cards could be "duds" (i.e. the home entertainment center or jewelry). Now, you get $25K minimum, so the excitement is muddled.
Yep. You solved the puzzle, guaranteeing you $30K. What did you spin? $30K. Cue staid celebration, banter, and credit roll. That's why the five envelope bonus round was the best. There was still tension during the bonus round, and there was some anticipation regarding what you could win. When you could have ended up with your own greenhouse or an annuity, the $25K seemed a lot more exciting when it was hit (even when it got to the point where every other bonus prize was worth as much).
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2012, 09:42:40 PM »
Yep. You solved the puzzle, guaranteeing you $30K. What did you spin? $30K. Cue staid celebration, banter, and credit roll. That's why the five envelope bonus round was the best. There was still tension during the bonus round, and there was some anticipation regarding what you could win. When you could have ended up with your own greenhouse or an annuity, the $25K seemed a lot more exciting when it was hit (even when it got to the point where every other bonus prize was worth as much).

And that's why the five envelope bonus round was the worst bonus round Wheel had. The prizes outside of cash and cars just sucked. I mean, who wants some of those elaborate prizes? I'm willing to bet there were a lot of forfeiture forms signed backstage.

At least toward the end they got it right. Keep the prizes on the board all week and reduce it to cash and cars.

And honestly, how is there not tension in the bonus round? Is thirty large the only amount you can win? If it was, maybe you could make the argument. But since the possibility still exists that you could win much more than $30,000, of course tension is there. It's either you walk out with a bonus prize or you don't. It doesn't matter how much it is.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2012, 09:53:05 PM »
Nowadays, the bonus round is just so ho-hum, but the difference is there was a little more suspense in that you could either get the money, a car, a trip, or the other two prize cards could be "duds" (i.e. the home entertainment center or jewelry).
This, by the way, is a steaming load of hooey. It was more exciting because two of the prizes sucked? If two of the prizes suck, the solution is to get rid of them and give away prizes people actually want to win. Which they did.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2012, 10:31:59 PM »
followed by nine or ten dud letters in a row.
If nobody ever called consonants that weren't in the puzzle, it wouldn't be much of a game, would it.
Travis L. Eberle

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2012, 11:14:07 PM »
followed by nine or ten dud letters in a row.
If nobody ever called consonants that weren't in the puzzle, it wouldn't be much of a game, would it.

I know that. But when it's nothing but *buzz* "Sorry, no [letter]" for 10 turns in a row, doesn't that get a little repetitive?
Bobby Peacock