Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of fortune mechanical puzzleboard?  (Read 19581 times)

SuperMatch93

Wheel of fortune mechanical puzzleboard?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 07:39:31 PM »
Benirschke.
I Benirschke'd your mother last night.

/Wait, what?

Does that mean you looked right at her and admitted you didn't know what to do?

Probably, because it's a lot different than football.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 08:43:59 PM »
Does that mean you looked right at her and admitted you didn't know what to do?
You remind me of this kid I went to school with. I'd work for two minutes uncorking a glorious joke, I'd hit everyone with the punch line, and he says "then what happened?"

That's not a compliment, by the way.
Travis L. Eberle

bradhig

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 08:46:58 PM »
The Price is Right hasn't changed as much as wheel.  They have changed hosts , announcers , pricing games , and the set yet they still play the game the same way as in 1972.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
The Price is Right hasn't changed as much as wheel. They have changed hosts , announcers , pricing games , and the set yet they still play the game the same way as in 1972.
Bolded for lulz. What the hell is LEFT?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 08:53:12 PM »
The Price is Right hasn't changed as much as wheel. They have changed hosts , announcers , pricing games , and the set yet they still play the game the same way as in 1972.
Bolded for lulz. What the hell is LEFT?
They could make it a game of definitions, I guess.

(Note to bradhig: what's different about the way you play Wheel of Fortune in 2012 than 1974? Not much. Spin wheel, call consonant, solve puzzle, profit.)
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 09:04:53 PM »
The Price is Right hasn't changed as much as wheel.  They have changed hosts , announcers , pricing games , and the set yet they still play the game the same way as in 1972.
So does Wheel of Fortune. And like Wheel, they've added new bells and whistles over the years, whether it be new graphics, sets, music cues, theme songs, or whatever else. Those aren't changes, at least not in the sense that has you crying foul. Those are updates that make the show aesthetically pleasing in 2012.

Again, I'm not the biggest fan of some changes (not a fan of how TPiR is produced now, and I think Wheel sometimes tacks on a little too much chrome), but at the end of the day the shows are still pretty enjoyable, and stay true to their roots. I don't ask for much in a game show, make it fun to play along with, and make changes that keep the show fresh. Both shows, as well as Jeopardy do pretty well with that.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

bradhig

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 09:13:46 PM »
No free spin anymore now free play.  I know why they went from five free spin discs to one cause people racked them up.  Puzzle board has 4 rows instead of 3.  No shopping anymore.   Prize wheel instead of five envelopes.  Prizes on the wheel with people picking up spaces from the wheel.  Jackpot round and mystery round with $10,000 behind a wedge.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »
No free spin anymore now free play.  I know why they went from five free spin discs to one cause people racked them up.  Puzzle board has 4 rows instead of 3.  No shopping anymore.   Prize wheel instead of five envelopes.  Prizes on the wheel with people picking up spaces from the wheel.  Jackpot round and mystery round with $10,000 behind a wedge.
That was a really excellent way to dodge the question we've all been asking. I guess you think we're just flat chested bimbos.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 09:20:04 PM »
-The puzzleboard has had 4 rows for 30 years...more letters means more money for contestants.
-Shopping hasn't been there in 25 years...again, contestants wanted to win more money.
-The prize wheel has been there 10 years...the 5 envelopes had run its course after 12.

I'm stopping there. You're complaining about stuff that's been in place at least a decade, and in the case of the puzzleboard, was changed before I was even born. Hell, Susan was still turning letters at that point! It sounds like you're just looking for things to gripe about. Quite honestly, I watched a Woolery episode and found it quite dull at times. If they were to make one round a special "shopping" round, I'd be cool with it, but I'm not going to cry myself to sleep if they don't either.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 09:25:57 PM »
Quite honestly, I watched a Woolery episode and found it quite dull at times.
Here, let's have a grown-up discussion:

What exactly did you find dull about it? I find the episodes from the early days have a charm to them that the show of today can't match.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 09:31:17 PM »
I think I found it to drag at times and thought it became a little repetitive. Then again, it may have just been that episode. I've watched plenty on Youtube and found them fun, especially if someone buys a car. Adding the bonus round during Pat's tenure made the show even more fun, and like you said, charming.

The show nowadays has its moments, but comes across as cold at times. The often subdued reactions from a contestant who just won $25,000 (let alone the $100K) leaves me underwhelmed.

When I see more excitement from someone who just hit a dollar at the Showcase Showdown, I'm thinking something's out of place.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 10:15:03 PM by fostergray82 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 09:38:39 PM »
You guys are giving bradhig WAY more consideration than he deserves.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 09:39:48 PM »
You guys are giving bradhig WAY more consideration than he deserves.
I was done with him. I'm talking to Brandon now.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2012, 09:40:33 PM »
No they don't.   There was no showcase showdown in 1972.  I look forward to your next post in eight months so we can do this again.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2012, 09:44:48 PM »
I'm not going to try and argue you out of a position on which you seem determined to fixate.  I will, however, suggest that you understand that someone who was equally passionate about how much Price has changed (or Jeopardy, or Family Feud) could just as easily make a laundry list of similar changes large and small on those shows.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.