Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Double Dare Live Show  (Read 6472 times)

Jeremy Nelson

New Double Dare Live Show
« on: April 12, 2012, 09:38:27 PM »
Well, first we get A Figure It Out revival, and now this, straight from the Double Dare 25 Facebook page:

THE GAK IS BACK. Starting THIS summer in Orlando, Nickelodeon Hotel will revive Double Dare with a brand new classic-style live show. Head down to Florida to compete with your family and live the dream. Get ready for DOUBLE DARE LIVE!

I'm gonna have to pull an Adam Sandler and get a fake family. I want my trip to Space Camp, dammit. :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:40:12 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 11:52:24 PM »
There's info about the show all over in press releases and news stories and whatnot, but from what I've read thus far, here's the skinny:

-Previews of the game start Monday, May 21st; the official opening is Friday, May 25th.
-The game is 4 vs 4.
-They're using an updated version of the classic set.
-Looking at the show's official Nick Hotel page, the logo got a slight makeover as well.]

According to a poster named Lee over at the DD 25 Facebook Page (and who seems to be on the production crew), the show is pretty awesome. Of course he would say that about something he's working on (and who wouldn't?), but this was by far my favorite line from his post:
I would like to caution the more 'avid' fans that this show is a modernized interpretation of the classic from the 90's. It would be foolish and ridiculous to expect every last tiny minute detail to be exact. (ie - The lights didn't follow the pattern like it was in the show, etc.).
He knows about the crazies. He's done his homework. Point, Lee.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 12:15:42 AM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

J.R.

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 12:20:13 AM »
He knows about the crazies. He's done his homework. Point, Lee.
Not gonna stop them though.
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 12:22:51 AM »
I would like to caution the more 'avid' fans that this show is a modernized interpretation of the classic from the 90's.
So no walrus mustachioed Ph.D toting Spoilers?

Pass.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 01:00:55 AM »
I would like to caution the more 'avid' fans that this show is a modernized interpretation of the classic from the 90's.
Somewhere, Dr. Stratton Lindenmeyer is weeping softly into a fine aged brandy and a $500 cee-gar.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 01:34:39 AM »
Somewhere, Dr. Stratton Lindenmeyer is weeping softly into a fine aged brandy and a $500 cee-gar.
$100 on Double Dare= 10,000 free pennies to throw at commoners in disgust.

WhammyPower

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 10:11:11 AM »
Complete episode of Double Dare Live

/They couldn't just install a mic holder into the contestant podiums, could they?
//Video Flashback FTW
///Worst mustard ever.
/A tossup question to start round 2? :-(
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:19:15 AM by WhammyPower »

chad1m

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »
I think it's not bad at all. The added question features are neat and, for what they have to work with, the obstacles and stunts are fairly good. But, the host is very, very robotic. I'm sure they want the hosts to stick to something of a script, but you can do that without sounding like you're reciting lines. Chances he had to improvise just weren't good. Also... why the heck aren't there microphones in the podium? Stagehands having to hold them for the contestants seems pointless and cheap.

My other thought is I know they want to be safe but having the stagehands so heavily involved in the course takes the feel away. The stagehand running the flag over to Gum Drop was like "huh?". Also, some of the obstacles are a bit too far. I know they wanted to go for the scrambled feel of the original course, but when the contestants have to run (or walk, as it would seem) the length of the stage from Gum Drop to Popcorn, it takes some time. This is apparently made up for by making some of the "find the flag" obstacles really easy, but it can improved.

As it stands, I give it a B, a B- on a windy day.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 02:42:49 PM by chad1m »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 02:46:56 PM »
My other thought is I know they want to be safe but having the stagehands so heavily involved in the course takes the feel away. The stagehand running the flag over to Gum Drop was like "huh?". Also, some of the obstacles are a bit too far. I know they wanted to go for the scrambled feel of the original course, but when the contestants have to run (or walk, as it would seem)
Nick's insurance adjuster says "yo."

Not that I like it, but that's probably why.
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 03:11:36 PM »
Not that I like it, but that's probably why.
Oh, I'm sure that's exactly why. So make the course go left to right and they can worry less about people trying to run all over the place and save a couple of seconds on the clock. Additionally, as a friend of mine suggested, just have the kid raise the flag up when he gets it from obstacle one to give the go-ahead to proceed with Gum Drop like they did on the real program, instead of having someone else run it over.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:13:19 PM by chad1m »

CJBojangles

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 04:24:02 AM »
Very much dig the flashback question. Don't at all get why the family that gets it is stuck without the ability to Dare, or why the other team automatically gets points if they get it wrong.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 07:39:16 PM »
///Worst mustard ever.
I have no idea what the hell that stuff was. They couldn't whip up a batch of Yellow Slime/Gak/Gooze/whatever the new alternative to slime is nowadays? Whipped Cream and Applesauce must come at a premium these days.

WhammyPower

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 12:39:56 PM »
Well, here's a lady taking a crack at it.

davemackey

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 02:37:35 PM »
I looked him up. He's still around. He has been a member of Greater Los Angeles Area Mensa since 1965 and was one of the speakers at their Regional Gathering back in February.