Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Scrabble questions  (Read 3159 times)

14gameshows

Scrabble questions
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:18:04 AM »
When did they start the practice of seating the audience up front on Scrabble and is their any real reason for doing so?  

This is something that I also don't get, did NBC really have to sweeten the audio for Scrabble. It seemed like that show of all the shows on NBC (except maybe Super Password on occasion) had a rowdy audience at times. Of all the gameshows on NBC during that time, Scrabble seemed to be the most laid back crazy show there was as Chuck was starting "breaking the 4th wall" quite often (if there is such a thing) when talking to the producers about killing time, or speeding up time or asking them who wrote the clues and then you can hear the responses of the production crew and some minor audience participation (such as cheers from the audience when a contestant was "going for the money in the pink/blue squares" or if the contestant "didn't" get the answer or laughter from the clues and the witty writing.  Scrabble over time took on the approach of TPIR in that it started to involve everyone in the studio in some aspect of the program.

Didn't this show really cut into the ratings of the second half hour of TPIR??? Wasn't this show number one at one point?

Vahan_Nisanian

Scrabble questions
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 12:05:30 PM »
In regards to the first question, I haven't seen a lot of episodes from 1984-1986, but from what I've seen, I'd say the audience pit started in 1986, just before the straddling format was abandoned.

I don't know why they added it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:08:23 PM by gameshowlover87 »

BrandonFG

Scrabble questions
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 12:10:45 PM »
TPiR maintained the #1 daytime game spot throughout the 80s, with Wheel second for quite a few years. I believe Scrabble was #3 for awhile, but don't think it overtook Wheel.

FWIW, the 1993 revival was #2, but out of far less game shows (5 I believe: TPiR, Scrabble, Scattergories, Family Secrets, and Family Feud Challenge).
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Scrabble questions
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 04:53:06 PM »
FWIW, the 1993 revival was #2, but out of far less game shows (5 I believe: TPiR, Scrabble, Scattergories, Family Secrets, and Family Feud Challenge).
I would think you'd have to count CONCENTRATION, even though they were reruns.

This is just my opinion, but as long as they sweetened the first two years there was no harm in sweetening the rest of the run even though they actually put the audience in camera view.  What got me is that Woolery would start chatting up the audience as the fee plugs/credits rolled, the applause cue was played toward the end and the audience starts applauding to match it, and Woolery's still chatting.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 04:56:21 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Scrabble questions
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 01:04:52 PM »
and Woolery's still chatting.

Lots of people talk through the credits and applause. No big whoop. :)

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

Scrabble questions
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 01:23:41 PM »
I would think you'd have to count CONCENTRATION, even though they were reruns.
I'm willing to count that as well, so 6 shows. For the genre to be on its last legs at the time, there were still quite a few game show options, almost as good, if not better, than the number we have now. Bummer that they really didn't last.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Scrabble questions
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 02:48:50 PM »
Lots of people talk through the credits and applause. No big whoop. :)
To the audience itself?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)