Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If enough people say it, it must be true...right?  (Read 7585 times)

Ian Wallis

If enough people say it, it must be true...right?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 08:32:46 AM »
Speaking for myself, I took "widely held beliefs" to mean minutiae inside the community itself - I wasn't thinking about your casual game show fans out there who simply just watch and occasionally catch an episode or two here or there. Heck, someone new to GSN wouldn't even *know* there was ever a Star Wheel or that Dawson eventually left.

Yeah, that's what I was going for.  I'm sure we've all heard things about a particular game over the years that everybody seems to believe, but you know aren't correct.  Just the little things that bug you, right? :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 08:33:35 AM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 10:51:58 AM »
One rather large misconception over the years (one that very much fits the title of this thread) was that Wheel of Fortune first used its five-and-a-vowel Bonus Round on Pat's first day (December 28, 1981), and it was pretty much stated as fact until Eric Paddon shared the December 18 show in January 2011.

That was one I thought of, too.

Likewise, I don't think I had ever seen any acknowledgement of anyone filling in for Susan Stafford (although I could be wrong on the lack of acknowledgement). I found news sources verifying that Summer Bartholomew filled in at least twice, as did Cynthia Washington.
Bobby Peacock

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 12:51:48 PM »
Replace "widely held beliefs" with "things not even other game show fans know" and you'll have my opinion on the value of this thread.  But people love doing it, so just sit back and let them.
Amen.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

WhammyPower

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 01:05:14 PM »
Getting this thread back on topic, I hate it when people refer to the last round of TPiR as the "Showcase Showdown."

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 03:58:31 PM »
If we're going for well-known, widely-held misconceptions within our community, I guess you could point to Telephone Game on TPIR.  For the first decade plus of ATGS and its successors, it was common knowledge that it was a three-prize quickie.  When Roger finally dug up a couple of playings for us in 2004, it turned out to be a car game.

Don Howard

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 04:05:33 PM »
CBS Tic Tac Dough did not cough up a tie-breaking toss-up question for a cat game except for the Kids Week they did once.
They put up a new board with new subjects and a carryover pot just like the Barry/Jackson/Elliott/Rayburn/Wendell/Caldwell/syndie Winker versions.

And of course this....

I think a good one to mention (most of us know better) is that the final round on TPiR is the showcase showdown.

Getting this thread back on topic, I hate it when people refer to the last round of TPiR as the "Showcase Showdown."

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 04:51:18 PM »
I'm reading somewhere else about Fremantle's "corporate policy" against announcers appearing on camera when a certain emcee and a certain announcer were part of a certain show and had a dispute, which policy has magically evaporated since taking on a new emcee and different announcers. It's not a misconception due to fanb0i repetition, just a bald-faced lie.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
I'm reading somewhere else about Fremantle's "corporate policy" against announcers appearing on camera when a certain emcee and a certain announcer were part of a certain show and had a dispute, which policy has magically evaporated since taking on a new emcee and different announcers.
Rich Fields got camera time while Barker was still around, did he not? Looked like a Roddy-exclusive thing to me.

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 05:32:44 PM »
I'm reading somewhere else about Fremantle's "corporate policy" against announcers appearing on camera when a certain emcee and a certain announcer were part of a certain show and had a dispute, which policy has magically evaporated since taking on a new emcee and different announcers.
Rich Fields got camera time while Barker was still around, did he not? Looked like a Roddy-exclusive thing to me.
I want to say he got an introduction at the beginning of his tenure, and that was about it. For some reason, I don't think he got anymore face time until Drew took over. Although, I also want to say Rich would still come on stage to greet the Showcase winner during the tail end of Bob's tenure.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 05:35:22 PM »
Rich would still come on stage to greet the Showcase winner during the tail end of Bob's tenure.
Correct, select!
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 05:40:12 PM »
Rich would still come on stage to greet the Showcase winner during the tail end of Bob's tenure.
Correct, select!
Good...these things all blur together for me.

I'll take Game Show Scuttlebutt for $1200, please.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 08:38:59 PM »
Although, I also want to say Rich would still come on stage to greet the Showcase winner during the tail end of Bob's tenure.
What always got me about this was that Rod still did that, as well...but only after the credits started rolling.

"Hey, Rod, don't get up until the part of the show CBS doesn't bother airing."

A neat little logistical thing and a depressing story at the same time.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 10:18:52 PM »
Another common error that existed for some time is that when the infamous "Cuckoo, Friend and Ollie" incident took place on syndie MG, Bill Daily was the celeb writing the response "clock."    Ira Skutch even prefaced a chapter in his memoir describing the incident saying it was Bill.    This misperception was formed by the infinite playing of the clip of the incident which showed Bill's reaction because he was laughing the loudest, but the actual celeb the Star Wheel landed on was Robert Walden.

J.R.

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 02:09:24 AM »
Correct, select!
Good...these things all blur together for me.

I'll take Game Show Scuttlebutt for $1200, please.
Hey, I thought Netgames weren't allowed here. ;-)
-Joe Raygor