Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question about the G-T Gameshows  (Read 2931 times)

14gameshows

Question about the G-T Gameshows
« on: May 12, 2012, 05:27:22 PM »
USA Network and the Family Channel both had a gameshow block back in the 80s-90s and we saw great shows from the Hatos-Hall, Reg Grundy, Bob Stewart, Barry-Enright libraries along with a  host of others. How come Goodson-Todman shows weren't shown? Was there a "lack" of interest? High license fees? Goodson not interested?  Any thoughts?

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 05:32:03 PM »
FWIW, CBN showed "Card Sharks" and "Blockbusters" in the early-80s, but not sure why Family Channel didn't, other than license fees.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 06:04:48 PM »
I'd think high license fees if anything, but then again, that's apparently what's kept GSN from airing "Scrabble", SOTC, and "Concentration".
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:05:35 PM by Chief-O »

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 06:50:15 PM »
I'd think high license fees if anything, but then again, that's apparently what's kept GSN from airing "Scrabble", SOTC, and "Concentration".
Scrabble and $ale, I'm pretty sure you're right. Concentration, on the other hand. has not only never been a Fremantle property (NBC owns it, bought from Barry-Enright some weeks into the original run) but as far as I know has never had any licensing fees ever put on the episodes. I remember reading that GSN tried to license the Goodson-produced versions in 1994 or so and NBC flat-out refused (yet apparently bothered to convert the Trebek shows to digibeta).
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Bryce L.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 09:37:38 PM »
FWIW, CBN showed "Card Sharks" and "Blockbusters" in the early-80s, but not sure why Family Channel didn't, other than license fees.
Question, wasn't Family Channel nothing more than CBN under new ownership?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 10:04:53 PM »
Question, wasn't Family Channel nothing more than CBN under new ownership?
Well it was the same ownership but a change of name.  When Fox bought it it became Fox Family and then when ABC bought it it became ABC Family.  Those two G-T shows were placed into syndication in the early 80s, so the deal was made with the syndicator rather than G-T itself.  When FAM started "The Games on FAM" it was sort of a dry run of what "The Game Channel" would have looked like.  By that time the Goodson shows were tied up with what became GSN.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.