Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Questions  (Read 9323 times)

xavier45

GSN Questions
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 11:01:27 PM »
10 episodes in that block, not 5.
...each of which runs 0.5 hours.
Yeah, sorry about that. Got mixed up with the numbers.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
GSN Questions
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 11:24:08 PM »
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm gonna ask it again- would it be too much of a stretch for GSN to get rights to air the previous night's Jeopardy and Wheel episodes in daytime as a just-in-case-you-missed-it kinda deal, kinda like Comedy Central did with Conan?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN Questions
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 12:11:52 AM »
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm gonna ask it again- would it be too much of a stretch for GSN to get rights to air the previous night's Jeopardy and Wheel episodes in daytime as a just-in-case-you-missed-it kinda deal, kinda like Comedy Central did with Conan?
Fine idea. Presumably too expensive. And at this point I'm starting to think "too expensive" is damned close to "it would cost money."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
GSN Questions
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 12:50:05 AM »
Fine idea. Presumably too expensive. And at this point I'm starting to think "too expensive" is damned close to "it would cost money."

I gotta agree with you on that latter point. But then again, couldn't you also make that point for a lot of cable channels these days? Seems like everyone wants to do things on the cheap, quality of programming be damned. (At least it would explain how Byron Allen was able to spin his filler offerings into several cable channels.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
GSN Questions
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 01:36:49 AM »
At some point, doesn't everything cost money? At some point you actually have to put out a product, otherwise (sadly) it makes more sense to pull up stakes and call it good.
Travis L. Eberle

That Don Guy

GSN Questions
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 01:39:40 AM »
Do any stations air episodes on a one-day delay?  I know at least one station did during football season back when Monday Night Football was on ABC.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
GSN Questions
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2012, 01:47:07 AM »
Do any stations air episodes on a one-day delay?  I know at least one station did during football season back when Monday Night Football was on ABC.
Seattle and Los Angeles useta-did, in fact. I know about Seattle because that's where I are, and LA because Alex mentioned the cities where a tournament final would not conclude on Friday but Saturday.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN Questions
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, 01:59:00 AM »
I gotta agree with you on that latter point. But then again, couldn't you also make that point for a lot of cable channels these days?
Sure you could, but we're not talking about other cable channels here, we're talking about GSN. Just because it's the trend doesn't mean it's right. Just means this model is gonna die faster and we'll all be getting our TV on Teh Intarwebs. (Which really wouldn't break my heart a whole lot.)

At some point, doesn't everything cost money?
Certainly. My point is, when on average six-plus hours of your programming per day is the same friggin' game with different coats of paint applied, it's pretty clear that their definition of "too much" is a little lower than it should be if they want to be taken seriously. Right now I look at that and say "the buzzards are circling."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

catnap1972

GSN Questions
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 06:29:37 AM »
To add further insult (since that other thread went in another direction), even $25,000 Pyramid returning (let alone "new to you" eps) is sounding really iffy now.  Friday night block is now Donnymid (2nd season).  While the posted schedule supposedly shows $25K back at 10:30am next week, we know already how reliable (not) those are.

mmb5

GSN Questions
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 07:19:30 AM »
Thanks Dave. Yeah, I could see how that could get old fast. Reminds me of how TV Land does with their schedule sometimes. Honestly, it seems that cable programmers in general have become quite lazy with the content; anything that gets ratings automatically gets 2 or 3 hour daytime blocks.

/Will save my full cable rant for another time
//Love my Roku setup though
It's not laziness...it's because it gets ratings and a programmer's job is to get ratings for the entire roster of that organization's suite of channels.  And if there is a show that gets the same above average rating whether you show it once a day or 10 times a day, it's going to be on 10 times a day.

If cable TV was more true competition and less of an oligarchy, I doubt we would have a third of the channels we do now.  As much as I adore college hockey, even I find a TV landscape where it's not "hey, college hockey is on" to "hey, which of the three college hockey games that are on tonight should I watch" tells you something's just a bit off.

One example...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=ULgqN3TL0qqSg&feature=player_detailpage&v=gqN3TL0qqSg#t=538s[/media]

(For some reason this is not embedding...go to 8:58)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 07:21:33 AM by mmb5 »
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Don Howard

GSN Questions
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 08:42:17 AM »
168 hours in a week....and FF gets nearly a quarter of them.

And out of 168 hours, GSN airs Feud for just over one-quarter of a week.
Wish I'd thought of that.