Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dancing Departing  (Read 16224 times)

Vahan_Nisanian

Dancing Departing
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2012, 05:39:29 PM »
I saw promos for classics the moment Goldhill took over in 2007, as well.

mmb5

Dancing Departing
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2012, 09:22:50 PM »
It's complicated, and Mike is far more familiar with this world than I am, but the short version is that the people who are involved in quiz bowl at the collegiate level take it all way too damn seriously.
Out of curiosity, are teams aligned like college football/basketball? In other words, is there a "Big Ten Quiz Bowl Conference" or "ACC Quiz Bowl Conference" and so on.
There was an attempt, the players really didn't care.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Dancing Departing
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2012, 09:36:17 PM »
If a team, say from my beloved University of Washington, wanted to have a throwdown with their cross-state rival (in this case The Washington State University of Boredom), could they organize a match without any top-down interference? Could four schools put together a one-day or weekend tournament just because they all want to play each other?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Dancing Departing
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2012, 10:23:16 PM »
Could four schools put together a one-day or weekend tournament just because they all want to play each other?
I see absolutely no reason why they couldn't. It's not like there is any rule forbidding them from assembling. Now, if they attempted to profit in some way under the guise of being sanctioned by the universities, that may be an issue.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mmb5

Dancing Departing
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2012, 07:49:56 AM »
If a team, say from my beloved University of Washington, wanted to have a throwdown with their cross-state rival (in this case The Washington State University of Boredom), could they organize a match without any top-down interference? Could four schools put together a one-day or weekend tournament just because they all want to play each other?
Most universities barely even know they have quiz bowl teams in the first place.  However, it is extremely likely this would happen because you're not going to have two schools simply play each other.  One is going to have to travel, and a game doesn't last that long.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.