Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dancing Departing  (Read 16223 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Dancing Departing
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 10:48:41 PM »
If the market you're attempting to target still knows you for what you once were, what sense does it make to try and be something else?
Money.

I knew someone would say that- to which I counter with this. How much of a cost difference is there, really?

I don't deny that GSN's idea to try to expand their profile is relatively admirable, if anything, but how many times do you have to fail before realizing that hey, this really isn't beneficial because the money we spend on these programs is going to waste because the viewership is the same?

I mean, if you can pull the same numbers with classics or recent reruns that you can with Dancing of the Stars reruns...
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Dancing Departing
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 10:53:28 PM »
I knew someone would say that- to which I counter with this. How much of a cost difference is there, really?
They're a business. That's their aim: to make money in any legal way that they can.

Whether they're good at their goal is another story.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Dancing Departing
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 11:04:01 PM »
How much of a cost difference is there, really?
If it's $1, it's enough.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Dancing Departing
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 02:27:15 AM »
They're a business. That's their aim: to make money in any legal way that they can.

Whether they're good at their goal is another story.

The way I see it, if the goal is to get from point A to point B and the ways you choose to get to point B don't get you there, and that keeps on happening each time, when do you stop saying "let's keep on the failing path" and go back to the first right path?

If GSN is going to keep making changes that don't end up working and aren't willing to admit that and try to do something with what HAS worked in the past, the way I see it they might as well just fold up the network at this point and give the channel space to someone else.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

Dancing Departing
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 02:35:29 AM »
If GSN is going to keep making changes that don't end up working and aren't willing to admit that and try to do something with what HAS worked in the past, the way I see it they might as well just fold up the network at this point and give the channel space to someone else.
Well, while you operate under the assumption that it *has* worked in the past (hint: operating at less of a loss is still operating at a loss), I'm pretty sure you haven't seen enough of their financial records to make any kind of assessment of that sort. (And neither have I. That said, I'm assuming a certain level of core competency, seeing as these people are working in national cable television and not at Channel 49 in Snake's Ass, Missouri.)

That said, yes, if your premises are indeed true, that decision will eventually be made for them.

Steve Gavazzi

Dancing Departing
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 02:41:56 AM »
Snake's Ass, Missouri
Didn't Letterman used to have a Home Office there?

dale_grass

Dancing Departing
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 08:53:44 AM »
Snake's Ass, Missouri

The restaurant on the east side of town has the best pancakes in the lower 48.

aaron sica

Dancing Departing
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 10:22:30 AM »
Wow..."Dancing with the Stars"  reruns fell faster than Melissa's head to the dance floor...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:22:54 AM by aaron sica »

Mr. Armadillo

Dancing Departing
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2012, 12:38:08 PM »
(I had read earlier in the offseason that part of the reason why Rules of Engagement is still airing is because they want to pass the magic mark. I guess that would be the only reason I could accept- the show's just not that good.
It's also not actively bad.  It's just there.  Since CBS isn't exactly hurting for hits, it's safer for them to just keep Rules on the air than take a shot with something that will most likely disappear completely after three episodes.

clemon79

Dancing Departing
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2012, 01:03:17 PM »
It's also not actively bad.
Also it keeps Patrick Warburton employed, and that is never a bad thing.

/although the karma there is washed out by also keeping David Spade in a steady paycheck

MikeK

• Martha!
Dancing Departing
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2012, 01:19:39 PM »
Also it keeps Patrick Warburton employed, and that is never a bad thing.
He has another gig to fall back upon.

/I miss The Tick.

clemon79

Dancing Departing
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2012, 01:31:41 PM »
He has another gig to fall back upon.
Yeah, but I like Patrick Warburton, so I want him to have as many concurrent gigs as he chooses to. :)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Dancing Departing
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2012, 03:11:23 PM »
I often wonder why they haven't tried some other things.  Why not show a movie every once in awhile?  Or pick up some lower-tier college basketball/football action?  Or are the rights fees to stuff like that not worth the cost?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Dancing Departing
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2012, 03:33:46 PM »
If CBS is turfing shows after three poorly-rated episodes, it can't be sunk costs or risk-aversion. Did you mean GSN specifically, Mark, or another network?
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Dancing Departing
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2012, 04:37:16 PM »
If CBS is turfing shows after three poorly-rated episodes, it can't be sunk costs or risk-aversion. Did you mean GSN specifically, Mark, or another network
I was speaking of GSN, specifically.
--Mark
Phil 4:13