Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dancing Departing  (Read 16222 times)

BrandonFG

Dancing Departing
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 10:21:27 AM »
Also, IIRC, didn't they pick up Davidson Squares and Scrabble while both shows were still in first-run?
Don't know about HSq but it was at least a year when they picked up "Scrabble". However, they indeed aired a lot of shows just months after cancellation.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Vahan_Nisanian

Dancing Departing
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 10:39:19 AM »
Yep, and I just realized two more examples:

Just the Ten of Us (1988-1990; 3 seasons; 47 episodes; ABC) and My Two Dads (1987-1990; 3 seasons; 60 episodes; NBC). Both shows began making the rounds of USA Network reruns immediately after cancellation.

I was mainly referring to continuing shows, and local syndication, not cancelled, and soon-to-be cable reruns.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:40:06 AM by gameshowlover87 »

Matt Ottinger

Dancing Departing
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 10:49:31 AM »
I was mainly referring to continuing shows, and local syndication, not cancelled, and soon-to-be cable reruns.
You're still comparing sitcoms with game show programming, and there are so many differences between the two when it comes to syndication and the number of episodes produced and any number of other factors that your point really is quite irrelevant.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Dancing Departing
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 03:18:59 PM »
And you know what else I miss?

As we obviously know, even some of our favorite classics, were, at one point, new shows. Back then, typically, it would take a successful, continuing series on any of the major networks, 4-5 years (100 episodes; give or take a few) for it to begin making the rounds in syndication. For example, The Simpsons, the Fox Network's juggernaut, began it's back-end (or off-network) syndication run as early as September 1994, almost 5 years after it premiered.

But look at how it is now: Steve Harvey's era of FF was acquired by GSN, a little over A YEAR after it started!

That's not really the same thing. USA was guilty of that too- picking up the original Wipeout right after its cancellation, for one.

Also, IIRC, didn't they pick up Davidson Squares and Scrabble while both shows were still in first-run?
Davidson Squares started airing three days after it left syndication.  Scrabble aired concurrent with the '93 run.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

DrBear

Dancing Departing
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 05:52:52 PM »
It probably hasn't helped - at least with the onscreen guide for my cable - that the only description is along the lines of "the dancers perform for the judges." No names, so you don't know what year it was.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Dancing Departing
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 07:32:36 PM »
Scrabble aired concurrent with the '93 run.

Scrabble was also airing before that, though- I seem to remember one of the Pyramids preceding it on the daily schedule on USA.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Vahan_Nisanian

Dancing Departing
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 07:46:30 PM »
That was $25K Pyramid. Reruns began in October 1988. They added the original $100K Pyramid during the last week of 1992.

BrandonFG

Dancing Departing
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 07:48:16 PM »
Scrabble aired concurrent with the '93 run.

Scrabble was also airing before that, though- I seem to remember one of the Pyramids preceding it on the daily schedule on USA.
Fall 1991 and you're right about "Pyramid". They aired during the 3:00 hour.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

chad1m

Dancing Departing
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 08:05:21 PM »
I'm frankly sick of the "GSN should stick to game shows" drumbeat,
To go back to the original topic, I just wanted to mention that I wouldn't be in that camp if almost everything they tried outside of the game show realm didn't, you know, flop. The only real non-game show related success I can think that they've had would be their poker nights. I'm just surprised they're jumping off of this so quickly. How long was The Amazing Race reran late at night after its primetime stretch didn't do so hot?

Last week, Dancing's highest charting last week was 104th out of 232 recorded programs. (Coincidentally, the 232nd place show was a Sunday afternoon Dancing. 52,000 viewers.) I think it says a lot when three of the five 11am airings of Super Password do better. In a comparison of recent acquisitions, the addition of Steve Harvey's Feud did very well for them, taking 6 of the top 10 spots in its second week.

jimlangefan

Dancing Departing
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 08:24:20 PM »
While were on this subject, with Harvey's Feud being brought up, didn't GSN acquire Bergeron's Squares during it's second year?
TV's Big Dealer

catnap1972

Dancing Departing
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 09:25:18 PM »
It probably hasn't helped - at least with the onscreen guide for my cable - that the only description is along the lines of "the dancers perform for the judges." No names, so you don't know what year it was.

But GSN said (on-screen) that it was "ALL NEW!"...wasn't that enough information for you?

BrandonFG

Dancing Departing
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 09:37:50 PM »
While were on this subject, with Harvey's Feud being brought up, didn't GSN acquire Bergeron's Squares during it's second year?
That sounds about right. I believe it aired on weekend mornings.

Vgmastr

Dancing Departing
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 10:28:20 PM »
Everytime I tried to give a newer show on GSN a chance (an original or a slightly older show), I always found it to be a bit underwhelming. It's like something is missing. Either it comes off as forced, the contestants have the intelligence of a rock, or it doesn't feel as relaxed and laid back. Whatever it is, it makes me miss the days of game shows in the 70's and especially the 80's.
GSN's last good crop of shows came out around 2002. Wasn't fond of Friend or Foe, but loved Russian Roulette and Lingo...Whammy was okay, but missing the charm of the original (well, the 80s version).

Like you said, a lot of the stuff after that was pretty half-baked. I think things reduced to quarter-baked, if not raw, after the 2004 rebranding.

My favorite GSN original was I've Got a Secret.  Such a great remake, a host and panel with great chemistry, nice retro looking set and a fun, lighthearted game.  It's a shame it only lasted one season.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Dancing Departing
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 10:35:38 PM »
I'm frankly sick of the "GSN should stick to game shows" drumbeat

To be fair, think about this for a second. A lot of people outside of our little circle of fans here still refers to the network as the "GAME SHOW" network. If the market you're attempting to target still knows you for what you once were, what sense does it make to try and be something else?

Stick with what brung ya there, I say.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Dancing Departing
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 10:43:12 PM »
If the market you're attempting to target still knows you for what you once were, what sense does it make to try and be something else?
Money.
Travis L. Eberle