Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dancing Departing  (Read 16221 times)

xavier45

Dancing Departing
« on: April 10, 2012, 01:45:20 PM »
After just 3 short months with dismal ratings, Dancing With The Stars will be departing GSN on April 21st, exactly 3 months after it first started airing on the network. Replacing all of its slots on Saturday and Sunday will be marathons of all Family Feud's GSN airs(Excluding Dawson). Feud will air Saturday nights from 5pm-11pm and Sunday afternoons from 3pm-6pm.

Anybody surprised to see it go this fast?

https://acrobat.com/app.html#d=5w0u1TyrslD8KIg99UvHxw

Matt Ottinger

Dancing Departing
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 02:10:54 PM »
Anybody surprised to see it go this fast?
I'm sure the new programming chief who made this a HUGE priority is a little surprised.

I'm frankly sick of the "GSN should stick to game shows" drumbeat, but on the other hand, you don't lose a lot of money and totally embarrass yourself when That's The Question doesn't do quite as well as you'd hoped, and if I recall, the networks' biggest single audience to date is still for that Press Your Luck documentary.  Maybe there's something to be said about sticking with your core brand.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Dancing Departing
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 03:10:26 PM »
Is there a way to know how many total households have GSN at any time? For them 500,000 might be a huge coup but that should be held up to a yardstick of however many million potential pairs of eyes there are.
Travis L. Eberle

oaklandfan2kx

Dancing Departing
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 03:44:31 PM »
Great Work, GSN let's hope BBC America picks up Dancing With The Stars along with Strictly Come Dancing with Bruce Forsyth as well as Classic Episodes of the Generation Game with Bruce Forsyth!

Matt Ottinger

Dancing Departing
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 03:53:08 PM »
Is there a way to know how many total households have GSN at any time? For them 500,000 might be a huge coup but that should be held up to a yardstick of however many million potential pairs of eyes there are.
GSN's at about 70-75 million homes, which is pretty good.  Tops is around 100 million.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

J.R.

Dancing Departing
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 04:00:30 PM »
Great Work, GSN let's hope BBC America picks up Dancing With The Stars along with Strictly Come Dancing with Bruce Forsyth as well as Classic Episodes of the Generation Game with Bruce Forsyth!
This guy annoys us at Palace too.
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Dancing Departing
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 04:16:51 PM »
GSN's at about 70-75 million homes, which is pretty good.  Tops is around 100 million.
So at their absolute one-time pinnacle of ratings, GSN was able to get 1 in 100 sets tuned to them, maybe one in 75. Most of the time they're're getting 1 in 300-ish, and that's with Flannel Feud.   That's the kind of paradigm we're working with.

There are maybe ten thousand people out there in the country who sit down and watch GSN because they're following a show day-to-day. Everybody else sees a show, says, "Hey, I remember Win, Lose or Draw! I dug it!" and they watch. Maybe they watch whatever is coming next. And that's it. They go about the rest of their day. For Everybody Else, GSN isn't appointment viewing.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Dancing Departing
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 08:52:02 PM »

Or perhaps the National Grammar Rodeo at the Sheraton Hotel in Canada, maybe?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Vahan_Nisanian

Dancing Departing
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:28:38 PM »
Everytime I tried to give a newer show on GSN a chance (an original or a slightly older show), I always found it to be a bit underwhelming. It's like something is missing. Either it comes off as forced, the contestants have the intelligence of a rock, it feels too dark like millionaire, it relies too much on "Million Dollar Syndrome", or it doesn't feel as relaxed and laid back. Whatever it is, it makes me miss the days of game shows in the 70's and especially the 80's.

But of course, that doesn't mean I think anything older is automatically better, regardless of the B.S. a certain former user on this forum said.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:32:58 PM by gameshowlover87 »

BrandonFG

Dancing Departing
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 09:35:36 PM »
Everytime I tried to give a newer show on GSN a chance (an original or a slightly older show), I always found it to be a bit underwhelming. It's like something is missing. Either it comes off as forced, the contestants have the intelligence of a rock, or it doesn't feel as relaxed and laid back. Whatever it is, it makes me miss the days of game shows in the 70's and especially the 80's.
GSN's last good crop of shows came out around 2002. Wasn't fond of Friend or Foe, but loved Russian Roulette and Lingo...Whammy was okay, but missing the charm of the original (well, the 80s version).

Like you said, a lot of the stuff after that was pretty half-baked. I think things reduced to quarter-baked, if not raw, after the 2004 rebranding.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Vahan_Nisanian

Dancing Departing
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 09:43:39 PM »
And you know what else I miss?

As we obviously know, even some of our favorite classics, were, at one point, new shows. Back then, typically, it would take a successful, continuing series on any of the major networks, 4-5 years (100 episodes; give or take a few) for it to begin making the rounds in syndication. For example, The Simpsons, the Fox Network's juggernaut, began it's back-end (or off-network) syndication run as early as September 1994, almost 5 years after it premiered.

But look at how it is now: Steve Harvey's era of FF was acquired by GSN, a little over A YEAR after it started!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:44:31 PM by gameshowlover87 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Dancing Departing
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 11:24:41 PM »
GSN's last good crop of shows came out around 2002. Wasn't fond of Friend or Foe, but loved Russian Roulette and Lingo...Whammy was okay, but missing the charm of the original (well, the 80s version).

Like you said, a lot of the stuff after that was pretty half-baked. I think things reduced to quarter-baked, if not raw, after the 2004 rebranding.
I got the channel just before senior year started. And for that period (1998-2000) it seemed like they had a direction and purpose, and they were having fun with the interactive games, and they had some good product out. They were putting their back into it. Now it seems like straps of Deal or No Deal, Fifth Grader, or whatever the flavor of the month is.

A couple of years ago I got GSN on an introductory rate. From 10 to midnight, there was Jeopardy, Bergeron Squares and an hour of Pyramid. And before that they had 21 on Saturday nights. And they weren't afraid to trot out Trivia Trap or Now You See It, and so on. The problem isn't so much that I feel like I've seen everything GSN has to offer, but that they're not putting any sweat equity into what they're doing.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

Dancing Departing
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 12:29:47 AM »
And you know what else I miss?

As we obviously know, even some of our favorite classics, were, at one point, new shows. Back then, typically, it would take a successful, continuing series on any of the major networks, 4-5 years (100 episodes; give or take a few) for it to begin making the rounds in syndication. For example, The Simpsons, the Fox Network's juggernaut, began it's back-end (or off-network) syndication run as early as September 1994, almost 5 years after it premiered.

But look at how it is now: Steve Harvey's era of FF was acquired by GSN, a little over A YEAR after it started!

That's not really the same thing. USA was guilty of that too- picking up the original Wipeout right after its cancellation, for one.

Also, IIRC, didn't they pick up Davidson Squares and Scrabble while both shows were still in first-run?

A better example probably would be to stick with scripted series in that case- for example, a show like Still Standing or 'Til Death. Neither one of those made it to that point, did they?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Dancing Departing
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 12:37:38 AM »
Still Standing: 88. Til Death: 81. 8 Simple Rules: 76.

A season of 200-ish episodes of a game show isn't really comparable.

Was USA guilty of anything, or just being awesome?
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

Dancing Departing
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 01:31:24 AM »
Still Standing: 88. Til Death: 81. 8 Simple Rules: 76.

A season of 200-ish episodes of a game show isn't really comparable.

Was USA guilty of anything, or just being awesome?

I forgot 8 Simple Rules was in syndication- probably because it seemed to disappear from the markets just as quickly.

(I had read earlier in the offseason that part of the reason why Rules of Engagement is still airing is because they want to pass the magic mark. I guess that would be the only reason I could accept- the show's just not that good. It's like Yes, Dear was- hanging on because there's nothing else.)

/my opinions, of course, various mileages will vary.