Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dancing Departing  (Read 16362 times)

tpirfan28

Dancing Departing
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2012, 04:34:56 PM »
If we are wanting a cheap quiz for GSN, how about a slightly dumbed-down version of Only Connect?  The current version of the show on BBC4 feels to me a bit too difficult for the average American viewer.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 04:35:31 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Dancing Departing
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2012, 04:36:09 PM »
If we are wanting a cheap quiz for GSN, how about a slightly dumbed-down version of Only Connect?  The current version of the show on BBC4 feels to me a bit too difficult for the average American viewer.
It is. Which is just one reason why it's *awesome*.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Dancing Departing
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2012, 04:38:01 PM »
Perhaps I should clarify, the teams would still represent the college, i.e. Faber vs. Hillman, just like any other quiz bowl. I guess Words Have Meanings and all, but I thought that part was clear. :-P
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 04:39:46 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

Dancing Departing
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2012, 04:42:12 PM »
Other than the fact that some of the questions are Brit-centric, I've never understood this argument.  I really can't imagine that the "average" UK viewer is so much smarter than the "average" American one.  But if you're going to make the argument that Americans can't handle complicated things, I don't see how you could recommend Only Connect at all.  There are a lot of other "smart" British games (Pointless and The Chase immediately come to mind) that could be adapted to "stupid" Americans a lot easier than the lateral-thinking puzzles of Only Connect.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MikeK

• Martha!
Dancing Departing
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2012, 06:00:16 PM »
It is. Which is just one reason why it's *awesome*.
Agreed to a point.  When the material is at the level used on Only Connect, I can see people shying away from it.  Tone it down to something Joe Sixpack can at least follow without rupturing some blood vessels and it might work since you're not alienating your viewers.  Think of it this way:  If a person used complex words just for the sake of sounding smarter, what good is it when 99% of people have no clue what he's saying?

Addressing Matt's point, maybe, just maybe it's challenging for us since it is a British-centric show.  Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 06:01:36 PM by MikeK »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Dancing Departing
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2012, 07:02:06 PM »
Other than the fact that some of the questions are Brit-centric, I've never understood this argument.  I really can't imagine that the "average" UK viewer is so much smarter than the "average" American one.  But if you're going to make the argument that Americans can't handle complicated things, I don't see how you could recommend Only Connect at all.  
From what I've heard (and how I've written some of the puzzles you see on the program) the idea was that there was a segment of viewership that found Mastermind and University Challenge too easy, and that the show is a sort of "well, wise guy, let's see how you like these apples." The entire point is that the material is corundum-hard, that it takes more than knowledge to penetrate the puzzles, and that you have three heads to do it with, so the difficulty is pegged to match. Everything about it says "If you think you can hang with us, come right in." Jeopardy manages to walk the tightrope of hard-assed difficulty and accessibility, I don't see why a OC:US would fail outright.

/All those Game Show Confessions people who are clamoring for Brad and Ken to be Chasers are Missing the Point.
//And widely at that.
///Thought that Bil Dwyer's turn at hosting Pointless was good, albeit brief.
Travis L. Eberle

tpirfan28

Dancing Departing
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2012, 07:45:50 PM »
Other than the fact that some of the questions are Brit-centric, I've never understood this argument.  I really can't imagine that the "average" UK viewer is so much smarter than the "average" American one.  But if you're going to make the argument that Americans can't handle complicated things, I don't see how you could recommend Only Connect at all.  There are a lot of other "smart" British games (Pointless and The Chase immediately come to mind) that could be adapted to "stupid" Americans a lot easier than the lateral-thinking puzzles of Only Connect.
I don't disagree with your points (and Mr. Lemon's, either).  Only Connect UK is great television, but I find it hard to pick up in the middle.  GSN needs "drive by" eyes, and if they can't get into the game (and content) quickly...off to repeats of How I Met Your Mother.  If that is accomplished by simpler material, go for it.

The Jeopardy comparison is excellent.

/I'm happy with myself if I can get 3 or 4 points before the no-vowels round
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Matt Ottinger

Dancing Departing
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2012, 07:57:57 PM »
What people forget about Jeopardy is that some of the material (a lot of it, really) is actually pretty easy, it's just that the show is designed to let those play the same way as the hard ones.

DrBear

Dancing Departing
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2012, 09:54:16 PM »
Just to get back to College Bowl for a second - does Jeopardy!'s college championships have "official" representatives of schools? Or maybe they could just choose four college students from the same state, each from different colleges as individuals playing on a "Wisconsin" or "Oregon" team.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Dancing Departing
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2012, 10:03:13 PM »
Why do they need an "official" representative for anything?
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Dancing Departing
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2012, 10:15:40 PM »
Just to get back to College Bowl for a second - does Jeopardy!'s college championships have "official" representatives of schools? Or maybe they could just choose four college students from the same state, each from different colleges as individuals playing on a "Wisconsin" or "Oregon" team.

So you expect Badgers to co-exist with Golden Eagles, Ducks with Beavers, and let the Phoenix, Pilots, and Golden Panthers pray for shots? Do you know what kind of chaos you'll create, man?!?! :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:15:57 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

J.R.

Dancing Departing
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2012, 10:21:36 PM »
It's complicated, and Mike is far more familiar with this world than I am, but the short version is that the people who are involved in quiz bowl at the collegiate level take it all way too damn seriously.
Out of curiosity, are teams aligned like college football/basketball? In other words, is there a "Big Ten Quiz Bowl Conference" or "ACC Quiz Bowl Conference" and so on.
-Joe Raygor

Matt Ottinger

Dancing Departing
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2012, 11:16:26 PM »
Out of curiosity, are teams aligned like college football/basketball? In other words, is there a "Big Ten Quiz Bowl Conference" or "ACC Quiz Bowl Conference" and so on.
I seriously doubt it, and even if there were, it would be in a totally unofficial capacity.  In a lot of colleges, if quiz bowl even exists at all it's at a club level virtually invisible to the rest of the university.  

I can tell you from personal observation that many high school teams in our area play against each other in non-televised, makeshift "leagues" which resemble those of the Michigan High School Athletic Association, but which are totally of their own devising.

Travis is right, a lot of you have gotten really hung up on this "official" business.  If GSN wanted to do a college-oriented quiz show, they could choose to do it without going through any of the trouble you guys are suggesting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Dancing Departing
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2012, 11:30:06 PM »
Travis is right, a lot of you have gotten really hung up on this "official" business.  If GSN wanted to do a college-oriented quiz show, they could choose to do it without going through any of the trouble you guys are suggesting.
A few years ago CNBC had their host of "Fast Money" host a summer series called MBA Challenge. It had a flash round, a part where teams identified stock tickers, two rounds where players answered questions individually at a set piece that looked nothing like the question-monitor desks from Millionaire, and it finished up with a question that would have been completely at home on Double Dare or Sale of the Century. It was fun watching, and if CBI wanted to poke their nose into things, CNBC could tell them exactly where they were free to get off.

GSN could take a page from History IQ and use the tossup-bonus format if they wanted. They could have Teachers vs. Students. They could have single contestants playing to wipe out their college debt. They could bring brains and jocks together and play one half of trivia and one half of flag football. The world's their oyster if they wanted to do something.
Travis L. Eberle

jimlangefan

Dancing Departing
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2012, 05:37:59 PM »
To semi get back on topic, it looks like GSN is embracing what works.  Don't know if they have done this before, but GSN is starting to plug the classics in the morning now.  This week is my first time seeing it, but I don't remember it in recent years.
TV's Big Dealer