Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR doing Plinko stunt week of Apr 9th..  (Read 19829 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPIR doing Plinko stunt week of Apr 9th..
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 06:47:30 PM »
Would this mean that you're against any building jackpot?
No.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2012, 06:55:14 PM »
No.
Okay, would this mean you're against any building jackpot that does not reset when a new contestant starts trying to win it? Pretty sure that was Cory's question anyhow.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2012, 07:02:13 PM »
No.
Okay, would this mean you're against any building jackpot that does not reset when a new contestant starts trying to win it? Pretty sure that was Cory's question anyhow.
He asked if I was against the building jackpot and I said no, because I think shows like Scrabble, Sale, Hot Potato and Blockbusters 87 carried it off just fine. I dislike a jackpot that 1) builds by the seed amount each time and 2) by definition certain players are able to play for more (or they end up playing for less) on account of when their game falls in the schedule, as seen on the Double Jackpot episodes of Catch 21.

/And because some dink is going to ask, no I don't think The Price is Right should have carryover champions for this week, either.
//Part of what I liked about Hot Potato and Blockbusters 87 was precisely what Chris brought up: new champion? new jackpot.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:03:06 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 07:12:57 PM »
I dislike a jackpot that 1) builds by the seed amount each time and 2) by definition certain players are able to play for more (or they end up playing for less) on account of when their game falls in the schedule, as seen on the Double Jackpot episodes of Catch 21.
Okay, that's fair. I don't like progressive jackpots (though I don't really consider the SotC one in that group since it's part of the overall prize package and you really didn't play a game to win it), but I don't have either one of those issues with them; I simply don't like them from an aesthetic point of view.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2012, 07:15:25 PM »
(though I don't really consider the SotC one in that group since it's part of the overall prize package and you really didn't play a game to win it),
It also starts at an enormous height and slowly creeps up. Maybe you win $68,000 instead of $77,000, but so what? $68,000 is still a huge amount to win, and that's in addition to everything else.

Similarly, I was OK with Mega Millionaire: the difference in utility between $1,860,000 and $2,180,000 is almost nil, and the game was exciting enough that the building didn't overshadow it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:22:57 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2012, 07:21:43 PM »
I always thought SotC's doing a progressive jackpot was a little silly, since if you were a one-game winner, there's no way you can win it. What's the point of escalation if can't be touched without several wins?

I did love the progressive jackpot for Instant Cash, since it required a sacrifice. Even if I had a $30 lead, if it was over $10K, I'd be seriously tempted.
-Joe Raygor

Kevin Prather

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 07:44:49 PM »
I always thought SotC's doing a progressive jackpot was a little silly, since if you were a one-game winner, there's no way you can win it. What's the point of escalation if can't be touched without several wins?
I assume you're going for the same thing I mentioned in Palace the other day.

Yeah, it's kind of funny to see Don Morrow talking about "A CASH JACKPOT OF $73,000!!!" when whatever value it's at at that point is unwinnable because it's going to go up at least four more times before you're even close to winning it.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 08:02:44 PM »
Fremantle had to do a survey to figure out that Plinko was the most popular game?  I could have told you that 15 years ago.
Or they could have asked Roger.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2012, 08:25:55 PM »
I am terribly curious as to how that survey shook out. What was on the medal podium, and how far behind? Did Double Prices get a vote because CarShark was in the pool?
Travis L. Eberle

TimK2003

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 10:57:19 PM »
And I agree with an earlier post:  Why wasn't this done next month?

Because it goes with the logic on when some of their other "special" or theme shows have aired.  For example, when I saw that they did the CMA Awards episode last Thursday instead of Friday, I had thought they did that in order to do an April Fools ep on Friday.  Then the Friday ep was just another normal show.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2012, 11:24:37 PM »
You know what happens when you have a special thing and then you do it a whole bunch of times in a row?
It deflates. Or so I've heard.

This Plinko thing only goes for a week, so I'm not concerned. I'm looking forward to a couple big Plinko wins.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2012, 12:09:37 AM »
And I agree with an earlier post:  Why wasn't this done next month?
Is there a PCH drawing soon?
This signature is currently under construction.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »
My thoughts on this....

I'm usually on the side of Golden Road. I'm not to fond of all the specials here and there, but I can't find myself getting outraged over this. Unlike some specials which target a specific audience, Plinko is almost universal (that's the first thing they got right). Unlike most specials, the money is coming out of someone else's pocket (that's the second thing they got right). Unlike other progressive jackpot game shows where the jackpot is reset if someone merely wins the bonus round, they make it difficult to reset the jackpot. It just doesn't reset if you hit 10K with your 2nd of 5 chips. That increases the odds of the payout reaching its max by Friday (that's the third thing they got right).

Yes, the word overkill comes to mind, but for me something seems different about this week.

Now just because I think the show got a few things right, I don't think it will succeed to their expectations. Yes it is Plinko, but trying to keep people's attention for five days is tough. Also, some people not hip to press releases or who don't hear an explanation for why they see Plinko everyday might indeed get tired of it. People do notice when a bucket of water is overflowing.

But in a nutshell, I look at it this way; this is what it would be like if Plinko was around in 1972.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2012, 07:50:19 PM »
they make it difficult to reset the jackpot. It just doesn't reset if you hit 10K with your 2nd of 5 chips. That increases the odds of the payout reaching its max by Friday (that's the third thing they got right).
Any chip has a roughly 1 in 4 chance of landing in the center slot. Whether it is first, third or last is immaterial and has no bearing on the difficulty of increasing the jackpot.
Travis L. Eberle

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2012, 08:25:17 PM »
they make it difficult to reset the jackpot. It just doesn't reset if you hit 10K with your 2nd of 5 chips. That increases the odds of the payout reaching its max by Friday (that's the third thing they got right).
Any chip has a roughly 1 in 4 chance of landing in the center slot. Whether it is first, third or last is immaterial and has no bearing on the difficulty of increasing the jackpot.
Good point. That was something I hadn't thought about.

Fate still lies within the pegs.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.