Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MTV2 picks up "Hip Hop Squares"...  (Read 39514 times)

Ian Wallis

MTV2 picks up "Hip Hop Squares"...
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2012, 05:08:15 PM »
I also recently saw it for the first time, and I agree.  It seemed like there was hardly any actual game there - half way through the second game time was already up.  Probably at least three celebrities (most of which I've never heard of) weren't even called.

Oh well.  It's still nice to see an updated version of this.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

MTCesquire

« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2012, 02:07:07 AM »
When asked a question, the square's first response was often, "I cain't believe you axed me dat (sic)."

Seriously?

SamJ93

« Reply #137 on: October 27, 2012, 01:21:17 PM »
May I humbly suggest that if you are watching Hip Hop Squares (or any incarnation of HS, for that matter) for the gameplay and scintillating trivia facts, you 1) are watching for the wrong reasons and 2) would be far better served just watching a Tic Tac Dough rerun?
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

Marc412

« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2012, 01:34:40 PM »
An average episode of Hollywood Squares in the Peter Marshall prime-time era had something like 20 to 30 questions.  Three or four full games were played, and Kenny would rattle off all the prizes in the Secret Square stash three times a show.  Back then, there was the right balance of game and show.

BrandonFG

« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2012, 01:37:13 PM »
Finally caught an episode of this last night. Well, young and hip aren't synonymous with witty and entertaining! Every time a contestant called a square's name, there was an ovation. Every time a square was awarded to a contestant, there was an ovation. When asked a question, the square's first response was often, "I cain't believe you axed me dat (sic)." When it was over a paltry fourteen questions had been asked.
I don't know how many Davidson and Bergeron asked per show, but it seems 14 is about 4 or 5 per round. Keep in mind you're watching MTV, which shows quite a few commercials, so 14 sounds pretty good with all the banter and ads. As for the "ovations", Bergeron and Davidson's versions both used that.

I get that you don't like a lot of current shows for one reason or another, and I don't necessarily disagree. But here, I think you have a pretty faithful revival, altered for a much different demographic. The stuff you're complaining about is minute IMO.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BrandonFG

« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2012, 01:39:12 PM »
An average episode of Hollywood Squares in the Peter Marshall prime-time era had something like 20 to 30 questions. Three or four full games were played, and Kenny would rattle off all the prizes in the Secret Square stash three times a show. Back then, there was the right balance of game and show.

They also had a good 3 or 4 minutes more content to work with. Nowadays, a show only gets about 20-22 minutes per half hour (prolly the lower side of that with MTV), which is why 14 questions actually sounds pretty impressive to me.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 02:23:58 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #141 on: October 27, 2012, 01:56:43 PM »
An average episode of Hollywood Squares in the Peter Marshall prime-time era had something like 20 to 30 questions.
In 22 to 24 minutes of content? I think I'm gonna call shenanigans on that.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2012, 02:00:12 PM »
In prime time, he qualified. They tended to race more after the secret square games.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

BrandonFG

« Reply #143 on: October 27, 2012, 02:08:22 PM »
In prime time, he qualified. They tended to race more after the secret square games.
I also remember Merrill Heatter saying in one of the game show books (Come On Down maybe?) that he was concerned after watching an episode, and only counting 11 or so questions. He implemented some changes, and shows started going for twice that. Whether that was primetime or daytime, I dunno.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #144 on: October 27, 2012, 05:53:56 PM »
I also remember Merrill Heatter saying in one of the game show books (Come On Down maybe?) that he was concerned after watching an episode, and only counting 11 or so questions. He implemented some changes, and shows started going for twice that. Whether that was primetime or daytime, I dunno.
That particular anecdote is provided here.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:54:26 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13