Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your favorite GS meltdown  (Read 11457 times)

WhirlieBird74

Your favorite GS meltdown
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 07:53:28 AM »
My memory of a GS breakdown came from Geoff Edwards on 'Play the Percentages'.  Going out of commercial, from a 1-vs-1 episode, Geoff got (playfully) angry saying, "Bob Hilton, if anyone wins five games in a row, what does that contestant get...AND I WANT TO KNOW RIGHT NOW!!!"  Bob announces "It's a BRAND NEW CAR!!!  And now, back to smiling Geoff."

Fedya

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 08:04:35 AM »
Katie Knudsen blowing a $500K question on Millionaire.  She was so irritating I was glad to see her lose.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

SamJ93

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 09:41:13 AM »
ISTR reading about a "Millionaire" contestant who flipped out on Meredith after blowing a question...he thought she had steered him toward that answer and started swearing at her and everything...it was obviously edited out of the broadcast, but I swear I saw a report about it from a studio audience member.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to dig it up.  Anyone else able to corroborate?
Merle Glickman.
Here's another account.

Geez, from a topic that I started nonetheless.  I'm losing it.  I expect my lawn-standing privileges to be issued anytime soon...
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Jamey Greek

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 09:56:48 AM »
The Jim Hess incident on PYL.  You know when he cussed out the whammy that cost him the game!

Casey Buck

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 03:00:16 PM »
Would the France/French blooper from Tom Kennedy's Password Plus count as a meltdown?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:01:08 PM by Casey Buck »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 04:33:43 PM »
Would the France/French blooper from Tom Kennedy's Password Plus count as a meltdown?

I would say so, like I would for the September incident- host tries to maintain composure, suddenly gets a giggle fit, and the entire thing gets shot to hell. :)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

J.R.

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 05:17:28 PM »
Here's another account.
Wow and that thread contains the infamous CarShark getting into yet another snit. Not a bad person, but his hypersensitivity and defensive stance towards any remote disagreement was his downfall.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:18:15 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

Bobby B.

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 05:28:50 PM »

I would say so, like I would for the September incident- host tries to maintain composure, suddenly gets a giggle fit, and the entire thing gets shot to hell. :)

My favorite "meltdown" is much like those two:  Marc Summers cracking up over the toy boat on Double Dare.

WhammyPower

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 05:30:49 PM »
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:31:11 PM by WhammyPower »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 05:41:52 PM »
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:46:01 PM by MikeK »

whewfan

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 07:30:55 PM »
Richard Dawson and the September incident

And this one, from the show's final season.

That Don Guy

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 09:24:47 PM »
Richard Dawson and the September incident

And this one, from the show's final season.
If that counts as a "meltdown," then I nominate the "Egyptian's favorite game show" incident from JackPot!.

A close second, which may or may not exist: Gene Wood introducing "Bill White and Betty Cullen" on Password Plus.  When NBC aired it, there was a definite cut in the tape, after which Gene reads the names correctly, but you can see a couple of people in the background (I would say Bill and Betty themselves, but did Bill walk to the podium for P+, or did he start the show there?) literally falling over themselves laughing (the only way you know what happened was, the host (I can't remember if it was Allen or someone else) mentioned it later in the show); however, since GSN has episodes with scenes that never aired, there's a (slim) chance they could have this intact.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:28:50 PM by That Don Guy »

JakeT

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 11:42:31 PM »
A close second, which may or may not exist: Gene Wood introducing "Bill White and Betty Cullen" on Password Plus.  When NBC aired it, there was a definite cut in the tape, after which Gene reads the names correctly, but you can see a couple of people in the background (I would say Bill and Betty themselves, but did Bill walk to the podium for P+, or did he start the show there?) literally falling over themselves laughing (the only way you know what happened was, the host (I can't remember if it was Allen or someone else) mentioned it later in the show); however, since GSN has episodes with scenes that never aired, there's a (slim) chance they could have this intact.

Although I'm not saying that it never happened, I would have to say that I do have my doubts.  Chris C. could probably give a bit more insight on this as well.  My thought is that if something went wrong at the very top of the episode, especially at the opening moments and introductions, wouldn't they have been more likely to have simply cut tape and started over from the top rather than created a noticeable clumsy edit when it wasn't really necessary to do so?

Just a thought...

JakeT

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 12:40:44 AM »
Although I'm not saying that it never happened, I would have to say that I do have my doubts.  Chris C. could probably give a bit more insight on this as well.  My thought is that if something went wrong at the very top of the episode, especially at the opening moments and introductions, wouldn't they have been more likely to have simply cut tape and started over from the top rather than created a noticeable clumsy edit when it wasn't really necessary to do so?
Maybe I'm just misreading this, but I thought Don was saying that it did happen, as evidenced by it being referred to later in the show, but he's not sure there's any existing footage of it.

JakeT

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 02:16:24 AM »
Maybe I'm just misreading this, but I thought Don was saying that it did happen, as evidenced by it being referred to later in the show, but he's not sure there's any existing footage of it.

But when Don said "When NBC aired it, there was a definite cut in the tape", my thinking is that they would not have aired an opening with a noticeable edit in the very first seconds of the episode.  Sure, I can easily believe that Gene Wood innocently blooped their names but I can't believe that they wouldn't have simply stopped tape and restarted it all from the top so that there would be NO noticeable edit in the opening.  In fact, since it was an episode featuring Bill Cullen as a celebrity guest, both he and Betty would have already been seated at the desk during the opening so a complete reshoot from the top would have been rather easy, wouldn't it?  In Don's account, it would have looked and sounded incredibly sloppy and unprofessional since the music would almost certainly jump from one spot to another due to the edit along with whatever visual edit would have been made.

If the issue is whether the actual mistake footage exists, I would seriously doubt it since it was edited out before the original airing.  My issue is that I'm saying that I kinda have doubts about the alleged edited opening because it seems very unlikely, which then in turn makes me possibly question the entire recollection.  I'm not suggesting in any way, form or fashion that Don is misleading anyone but instead is possibly just having a fuzzy memory.  I apologize in advance if I am wrong.

Chris C., any thoughts about a situation like this?

JakeT
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:23:53 AM by JakeT »