Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New GSN pilot  (Read 15523 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
New GSN pilot
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 04:20:24 AM »
(Imagine, for an example, what a behind-the-scenes reality show on Family Feud, at the height of Dawson, might have included.)
Even if this were a scripted drama, I'd watch the hell out of it.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Fan4Sure

New GSN pilot
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 11:25:50 AM »
Will any GSN Pilots videotape at Kaufman Astoria Studios in New York or Los Angeles?

toddyo

New GSN pilot
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 11:30:41 AM »
Beat the Chefs? It sounds like the really old FoodTV Network "Ready Set Cook" with hostess Sissy Bigger with a slight format change. I agree with all of the Pyramid comments. No laptops, give me COLOR for a set (enough of the goth look), show a constant score, DON'T CG THE CELEBRITIES' NAMES EVERY TIME!  Yes, it better have a winner's circle with a huge pyramid and 6 categories MANUALLY turned. Keep with the $25K rules. 7 clues, 30 seconds, 7-11, Mystery7, NO DOND prize escalation. $10K,$25K and best 3 for $100K. Hell, shoot it in NY with Alan Kalter announcing.

BrandonFG

New GSN pilot
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 12:41:46 PM »
Will any GSN Pilots videotape at Kaufman Astoria Studios in New York or Los Angeles?
Yes.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

New GSN pilot
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 12:56:03 PM »
Cosmetic changes in general don't bother me, because I understand that shows need to look modern.  I worry from some of these comments that you folks won't be satisfied unless there's orange shag carpeting on the floor.  I'll tell you right now that they'll use monitors, not trilons, on the category board and at the Winner's Circle.  Jeopardy doesn't use pull tabs, and Vanna doesn't actually turn letters.  It's 2012.  Learn to adjust your expectations.

With that out of the way, my disappointment will come if they significantly muck with the rules.  For me, that includes the "6 in 20 seconds" thing, though I realize others were OK with that.  If you're remaking a game because it was a good game, why are you changing the game that you recognize is already good?

And please God, find a host that can run the game, not just a famous name.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

New GSN pilot
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 01:38:33 PM »
With that out of the way, my disappointment will come if they significantly muck with the rules.  For me, that includes the "6 in 20 seconds" thing, though I realize others were OK with that.  If you're remaking a game because it was a good game, why are you changing the game that you recognize is already good?
My problem with the 6-in-20 is that it could've easily been made 7-in-30. Part of the problem IMO was the rotating daily guests, thus making Donny shoehorn a week's worth of plugs into one episode. To me, it was dumb to have daily celebrities anyways. Just use champions and spread things out.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
New GSN pilot
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 01:42:53 PM »
I worry from some of these comments that you folks won't be satisfied unless there's orange shag carpeting on the floor.
With the exception of toddyo's screed (which may or may not have been an attempt to get in the joke, I'm honestly not sure; the line about Alan Kalter and NY at the end was far enough out there that I'm willing to consider that maybe he's kidding too), I don't think you have much to worry about, since the rest of it (Brandon and Joe and I, anyhow) was pretty obviously parody. I love my TV too much to do anything untoward to it.

my disappointment will come if they significantly muck with the rules.  For me, that includes the "6 in 20 seconds" thing,
This is absolutely a concern, and specifically this aspect, and I don't much care if other people were okay with it or not, because it materially farked with the rhythm and play of the game.

And please God, find a host that can run the game, not just a famous name.
"Your host is Chris Rock!"

/actually, I'd watch that
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
New GSN pilot
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012, 02:04:07 PM »
I'm pretty confident that when that hit *does* come, we're all gonna look at it and say "what? that one? They tried X and Y and Z, and *this* one is the one that struck oil?"
Not to quite the degree you were talking about, but "Baggage" hit the spot for GSN.

-Jason
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:04:36 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
New GSN pilot
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2012, 02:05:57 PM »
Not to quite the degree you were talking about, but "Baggage" hit the spot for GSN.
Not close to the degree I'm thinking, no, but other than that you illustrate my point beautifully.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:06:06 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

New GSN pilot
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2012, 02:10:24 PM »
It just hit me that this being a lower-tier network, it will probably follow the 80s CBS format for payouts, maybe a tournament, but I wouldn't be surprised if it tops out at $25K.

And you know what? I'm perfectly okay with that. I'd like to see game shows return to making a $25 or even $50K payout exciting television. It's still a year's salary for most people (or a couple years' tuition). Not everything needs to be played for one meeelion dollars. Make it intriguing and as far away from an NBC-style primetime show as possible, and you've got me.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:12:14 PM by fostergray82 »

Sodboy13

New GSN pilot
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2012, 02:41:01 PM »
Make it intriguing and as far away from an NBC-style primetime show as possible, and you've got me.
I just considered the possibility of a commercial break mid-Winners' Circle and damn near threw myself out the window.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BrandonFG

New GSN pilot
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2012, 02:53:03 PM »
Make it intriguing and as far away from an NBC-style primetime show as possible, and you've got me.
I just considered the possibility of a commercial break mid-Winners' Circle and damn near threw myself out the window.
"Is the top box 'Things You Cherish'?" (Show close up of contestant, then Shelley Smith, then the family members in the audience) "We'll find out after the break!"

toddyo

New GSN pilot
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2012, 04:51:09 PM »
Seriously,I agree with Matt, but can these set designers utilize color? High definitition and it's a lot of blacks and blues - maybe it's to help illuminate the logo bug. (kidding). Keep with the rules, the format, basically the formula of the 80's Pyramid. Hey, if Jimmy Fallon can spot on mock Password, why can't GSN go for the gold, or orange or blue, and do this version correctly. Side question: are the sets from the CBS Game Show Marathon series still in mothballs? And yes, I was half kidding about Alan Kalter. If shot in LA, shoot it at Television City and say so in the open.

tpirfan28

New GSN pilot
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2012, 04:56:05 PM »
Drew Carey could host Pyramid.

/just gave G-R.net an aneurism
//watch Clark Pyramid, copy the rules and gameplay
///not that hard.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:56:52 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

catnap1972

New GSN pilot
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2012, 05:10:09 PM »
Hope they're not going to 'tweak' the game under the excuse of "well we gotta program around a jillion commercials so we have to take some liberties"