Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New GSN pilot  (Read 15561 times)

chad1m

New GSN pilot
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 09:17:39 PM »
Which means a couple more aren't gonna matter.
I'm just saying they're not going to matter for GSN when they try to jump in way too late on an already diluted market. If they're looking for the smash hit to bring them over the 500,000 viewers mark, I highly doubt these are it. Find something new along these lines.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:19:46 PM by chad1m »

BrandonFG

New GSN pilot
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 09:28:59 PM »
Welcome to cable 2012, where you can take a chance and lose money on an unsuccessful product. Or, you can do a third-rate ripoff of a working model and just go from there, and cut your losses easier.

I don't like it either, but I see why GSN is going for the ripoff shows. Honestly, what do they have to lose at this point? I got roped into one, I can't remember what it's called...it involves a father-daughter duo somewhere down south. Gawd help me, it was actually somewhat interesting.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
New GSN pilot
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 10:02:27 PM »
I'm just saying they're not going to matter for GSN when they try to jump in way too late on an already diluted market. If they're looking for the smash hit to bring them over the 500,000 viewers mark, I highly doubt these are it. Find something new along these lines.
You are right in that they probably aren't, but only because finding The Next Big Hit these days for an audience of abject morons is very much a needle-in-a-haystack-throw-shiat-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks process. I'm pretty confident that when that hit *does* come, we're all gonna look at it and say "what? that one? They tried X and Y and Z, and *this* one is the one that struck oil?"

So I don't see why these are worse than anything else.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:02:54 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jjman920

• Mhoops.
New GSN pilot
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 10:24:13 PM »
Unlike A&E, TruTV, and TLC, GSN is not on many providers "basic" list (meaning 70 or so channels). It doesn't get as much exposure as those channels. I'm not saying that GSN can't try it out (lord knows they shouldn't cater to my every whim), but reality hasn't done well on the network in the past, so my skeptical receptors are a bit sensitive.

I'm sure this won't cost as much as leasing the entire Goodson-Todman, Reg Grundy, Barry-Enright, and Chuck Barris libraries, so I guess waiting and seeing won't kill the network if it fails.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

tvrandywest

New GSN pilot
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 11:29:02 PM »
Just a note that "Pawn Stars" is the #1 rated show on History, and "Storage Wars" is very successful for A&E (or whichever cable channel). I dislike that they are only tangentially connected to the channels' name and image, and I'm not a fan of most reality shows, but there's no arguing with ratings success. I guess the reality concepts GSN is developing are no more obtuse (unrelated to the channel's mission) than these examples.

btw, "Bible Challenge" pilots on Tuesday, the 27th.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:29:52 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

BillCullen1

New GSN pilot
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 11:48:59 PM »
If GSN is on such a reality kick, I'm surprised they're not doing a Jersey Shore ripoff. I remember the GSN reality series Dream Derby. It didn't get a second season.

As for Pyramid, I'd be happy to see some form of it back, and Davies has a pretty good track record. So I'm crossing my fingers for it to see the light of day.

Matt Ottinger

New GSN pilot
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 12:00:10 AM »
If GSN is on such a reality kick, I'm surprised they're not doing a Jersey Shore ripoff.
Your sarcasm duly noted, most of us can recognize the difference between the profession-driven reality shows and the personality-driven ones.  Besides, GSN has already aired a personality-driven one.  Sadly, the personality driving it was Chuck Woolery.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Sodboy13

New GSN pilot
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 12:40:27 AM »
And then, more sadly, the personality driving it was Carnie Wilson.

Reality programming is the cheap way for cable to fill slots and hopefully fall backward into something that attracts eyeballs on repeat viewing. But I don't see how taking retreads and knockoffs of existing reality concepts is going to make GSN stand out and retain viewership. These prospective series read like cheap knockoffs, and given the majority of GSN's body of work in this genre, it's likely they'll look and sound like cheap knockoffs, too.  And so, like the last crop, they'll attract 5-figure viewership and fade quickly, GSN will plug in repeats of "Whammy!" for several months, and then the process shall begin anew.

Coincidentally enough, Travel Channel started promoting their new series "Baggage Battles" today. It's "Storage Wars" with storage lockers swapped out for unclaimed luggage.  So before an episode even gets shot, GSN's already doubly late to the party.

Hey, GSN, you want to attract viewers with a unique reality concept? One word: Solitary. Oh, and you might want to stop treating 6pm on Saturdays like it's the anchor slot for your premier programming.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
New GSN pilot
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 12:58:48 AM »
I'm still waiting for GSN to finally admit that they're the nichest of niche markets, abandon this reality kick altogether, and go back to what worked (at least for them). Not likely to happen, but how many more times are they gonna try this and fail at it?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

DrBear

New GSN pilot
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 01:25:04 AM »
OK, I know this is a stupid idea, but how about a reality show about game shows? If they're going to do a new Pyramid, why not go behind the scenes and do a companion show about what goes on, etc. (Imagine, for an example, what a behind-the-scenes reality show on Family Feud, at the height of Dawson, might have included.) Doing a show about another show you're carrying = more exposure and maybe some crossover viewership.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Kevin Prather

New GSN pilot
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 01:27:15 AM »
OK, I know this is a stupid idea, but how about a reality show about game shows?
Isn't this kind of what they did with Carnie's show? I know it was more about Carnie herself than about TNG, but it's the same idea.

J.R.

New GSN pilot
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 02:00:07 AM »
Bring back Burt Ludden's Love Buffet.
-Joe Raygor

Vahan_Nisanian

New GSN pilot
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 02:14:04 AM »
Bring back Burt Ludden's Love Buffet.

I'll confess: I actually, sorta liked this show. Take a sitcom, a game show, and combine the two.

I even remember the finale. It ended with Burt Ludden (John Cervenka) getting killed in his Vegas hotel room. A clear nod to "Who Shot J.R.?"
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:14:46 AM by gameshowlover87 »

pacdude

New GSN pilot
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 02:19:24 AM »
In the UK, shows like Take Me Out have companion chat shows delving deeper into gossip and follow ups and such. That would work for at least two GSN originals.

If GSN is so willing to rip off cable channels, why can't they rip off Challenge UK?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
New GSN pilot
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 02:59:44 AM »
OK, I know this is a stupid idea, but how about a reality show about game shows? If they're going to do a new Pyramid, why not go behind the scenes and do a companion show about what goes on, etc. (Imagine, for an example, what a behind-the-scenes reality show on Family Feud, at the height of Dawson, might have included.) Doing a show about another show you're carrying = more exposure and maybe some crossover viewership.

Hello E! True Hollywood Story.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022